Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2016, 01:03 PM   #1
Retired

Range Exhust Hood Fan blowing fuses...fixed

The hood over the range is a self venting type...pretty much useless when frying food. So a power vent was added in the kitchen replacing the original crank-up ventClick image for larger version

Name:	imag0966.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	120793
This last trip DW wanted to use the hood vent flipped the switch and blow a fuse turned all the switches off inserted a new 15amp fuse and as soon as the fan switch was turned on...pop...another fuse gone.So I disconnected the power to the fan switch and inserted another fuse and no pop. (interesting side bar the circuit of a blow fuse was labeled "Kit. Utilities" which includes Hood light, fan and the outside awning) After arriving home I did some trouble shooting starting at the fan switch, no problem and no chaffied wires. So I decided to removed the 5 screws and dropped the fan unit. Discovered the ground wire connection on top of the fan housing was the only elec connection without protective covering...odd. This connection was bent 90deg and touching the fan(sorry no pic). Returned the connection to the vertical added elec tape and guess what....it works without blowing the fuse
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1031.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	120795Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1037.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	196.7 KB
ID:	120796
Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Good find. I'm sure it'll help someone in the future. Thanks for posting.

Tags
fan, fuse