Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Ready to Purchase

Im ready to purchase our first TT . We would love the Hemisphere 300BH but at 37ft It seems a little to long for my 1500. The hitch weight is a remarkable 510lbs. Is this even possible? I would love to have a full bunkhouse but all TT with bunkhouses seem to get pretty long. If the numbers are right with my TV is the length still a big concern? We dont have no big mountains around here so steep grades and inclines aren't a problem. What advise do you all have. In the back of my mind I think I should stay below 34ft. and a hitch weight below 700.
17' Coachmen Apex 300 BHS
15' Ram CC Laramie 4x4, 3.92
aries75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

I have a close friend that had the same concerns and issues and ended up with a SOB. Tried to get him to go with a FR product but he is happy with what he got.....so far. He pulls it with a 2001 Suburban which i would call lighter duty and has no issues pulling it so far.

Hate to send you to another brand but here is what he ended with.

Aerolite 292DBHS

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life is great View Post
I have a close friend that had the same concerns and issues and ended up with a SOB. Tried to get him to go with a FR product but he is happy with what he got.....so far. He pulls it with a 2001 Suburban which i would call lighter duty and has no issues pulling it so far.

Hate to send you to another brand but here is what he ended with.

Aerolite 292DBHS
Nice but that hitch writh of 900 would eat up my CCC of 1100lbs
Old 11-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #4

I would say that the hitch weight in the brochure is a typo.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:20 PM   #5

It doesn't really matter what is in the brochure, you're going to have to have at least 10% TW when pulling it or you'll have major sway problems. I assume that trailer probably has at least a 6500 pound dry weight- but likely more. Therefore, you're probably going to be at at LEAST 7500 loaded, but quite possibly more like 9500 loaded. So, tongue weight will be at LEAST 750 and more likely 950 when loaded. This doesn't include the hitch weight- most of which are 100 pounds or so. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your truck has a CCC of 1100 pounds, you'll probably need to be looking at popups if you plan to stay below GVWR. Assuming you have NOTHING in the truck that wasn't there when you bought it, carry no passengers and put NO camping cargo in the truck, you can probably find a light 27' or less TT that would keep you under on your trucks GVWR. Of course, you could be of the attitude that someone is smoking something good to try to tell you that a pickup can't carry any more than a typical uni-body sedan and therefore you should just load up and go and have a good time.....
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
It doesn't really matter what is in the brochure, you're going to have to have at least 10% TW when pulling it or you'll have major sway problems. I assume that trailer probably has at least a 6500 pound dry weight- but likely more. Therefore, you're probably going to be at at LEAST 7500 loaded, but quite possibly more like 9500 loaded. So, tongue weight will be at LEAST 750 and more likely 950 when loaded. This doesn't include the hitch weight- most of which are 100 pounds or so. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your truck has a CCC of 1100 pounds, you'll probably need to be looking at popups if you plan to stay below GVWR. Assuming you have NOTHING in the truck that wasn't there when you bought it, carry no passengers and put NO camping cargo in the truck, you can probably find a light 27' or less TT that would keep you under on your trucks GVWR. Of course, you could be of the attitude that someone is smoking something good to try to tell you that a pickup can't carry any more than a typical uni-body sedan and therefore you should just load up and go and have a good time.....
Yea Im pretty sure it will not be no popup that I purchase. I guarantee you that! Cheers
Old 11-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #7

The length is not a concern except when turning corners or backing up. Not sure what steep grades or mountainous terrain would have to do with length.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
The length is not a concern except when turning corners or backing up. Not sure what steep grades or mountainous terrain would have to do with length.
I hear ya.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #9

I assume your TV is a 1500.
When you preview the "half ton towable" market of available TTs, you walk away somewhat confused between what a salesman or experienced camper (in this forum) tells you.
I have learned a lot from the folks on here. Their wisdom comes from experience and genuine respect for their equipment and fellow campers.
Trying to find a bunkhouse that can safely be towed by a half ton? I'm sure there is a floorplan and configuration that works, but when you crunch the numbers you mat be left with less TT than you desire. Not sure what your "inventory" aka payload is (how may kids, chairs, bikes, dogs and kennels, firewood, fuel ect..). You see things add up quick when you load up for a trip.
I'll give you the best advice I got prior to my purchase, "you want to have more truck than trailer". That's a solid quote. Hills or no hills, you want a TV that not only tows tour TT well but one that is not over working the motor ,driveline, transmission and especially the brakes of your rigs (yes get trailer brakes).
No one on here is out to spend your money or lead you astray. You are smart to inquire here prior to purchase. There are a few stories on here of those that did not.
My TV is a 2016 F250 6.2L CC 2WD SB Lariat 3.73
My TT is a Flagstaff Super Lite 27 BEWS
I'm not listing this to boast, just after I did the math I wanted to make sure I was not pushing any limits.
And of course there is the gas/diesel component. Lots of verbiage on that. Let's just call it a personal choice and leave it at that.
Good luck!
RMc
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #10

So aries75. What TT are you looking at?
Or are you doing a TV update?
Wheels Down is offline   Reply With Quote