Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #41

For the tires issue, been there. I would recommend that you check the axle alignment first, then check your brakes. If your brakes are set to high, they may be locking up. Especially if you have been blowing the rear axle tires. You may not be able to see those tires in your mirror. Also just a tought, make sure your frame is level with the road when you are fully loaded and attached to the truck, and that it's not in a nose down attitude. That will put more pressure on the front axle than the rear and will liken the rear wheels to lock quicker than the front.
Rick_Geneseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #42
Gold Miner At Heart

I have always had little things that have torn up even on new fifth wheels. I have owned 1 Truck Camper, 1 Pop-Up, 3 Pull Behinds, 1 Class C, and 4 fifth Wheels and have never had that much problems and not even one blown tire. (Knock on wood) Knock, Knock. I have a friend that purchased a new Prowler 5er and he has had so many problems. I think I would probably sell and purchase another if possible. I am so sorry to hear you have had so much problems. To answer your question: NO It's not normal to have that much problems with a new unit. Again so very sorry camping is about fun and relaxation not worring about what's going to tear up next.
Old 08-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #43

Don't quite understand the comments about lemon law.Tires have nothing to do with the RV make. You ever contact the 2/3/? tire manfacturers? Are these tires blowing because of bad axle alignment/ negative/positive camber? Is it the same tires? I am sure you are frustrated. I would (if possible) dump it.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:38 PM   #44

I Empathize

Michelle, You are not guilty of snapping back as may have been inferred by others. Your story is becoming more and more common and I do not understand those who seem to defend the manufacturers and are quick to blame the dumb, inexperienced or novice owners. I have been dealing with a similar "lemon" problem for the past year and just picked up my TT from the dealer a couple of weeks ago after it spent the past year either at the factory or on the dealers lot. When I took my TT in for the AC warranty replacement a month ago, the huge parking lot at the dealer was filled with campers lined up for warranty repairs. The dealer rep told me it is getting worse every year and it is not isolated to one or two manufacturers. This industry is ripe for a takeover by real managers who know something about engineering, consumer based design and quality control.
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
This industry is ripe for a takeover by real managers who know something about engineering, consumer based design and quality control.
I'll counter, by stating that the current Deterioration of Quality in so many aspects of the RV Industry is EXACTLY BECAUSE the Industry has been taken over by Professional Managers - and the Corporate-oriented / Big-Business / Investment Group Corporate Structures where "The Bottom Line is the Only Line". They are in business to Produce as Much Profit for their Investors as Possible, and that Formula focuses on how to keep the Production Costs DOWN and the Volume UP.

And we, as a Market have helped this along... We factor Price (and Size and Features and Shiny Things) above Quality.
We do it when we park our $75K SUVs in front of Costco and Sams (and even Dollar General - for Christ's Sake), and we do it when we shop for our RVs and other Big Toys...
Old 08-06-2015, 08:08 PM   #46

Do I read the OP correctly?

They picked up their new camper (ostensibly with tires many people hate - China Bombs) and drove it for 10K miles before they blew?

I would think that is pretty good. If I can get that many miles out of my OEM FR tires. I will be happy.

I feel for the OP with the poor workmanship on the unit that kept the unit in the shop the whole time and for the bad string of replacement tires. It sure gives me pause as I was hoping to replace my China Bombs with some GY Marathons as they seem to be the easiest to get and most widely available countrywide if I need a replacement while I travel.

My heart goes out to the OP for her frustration.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 08:44 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by seigell View Post
I'll counter, by stating that the current Deterioration of Quality in so many aspects of the RV Industry is EXACTLY BECAUSE the Industry has been taken over by Professional Managers - and the Corporate-oriented / Big-Business / Investment Group Corporate Structures where "The Bottom Line is the Only Line". They are in business to Produce as Much Profit for their Investors as Possible, and that Formula focuses on how to keep the Production Costs DOWN and the Volume UP.

And we, as a Market have helped this along... We factor Price (and Size and Features and Shiny Things) above Quality.
We do it when we park our $75K SUVs in front of Costco and Sams (and even Dollar General - for Christ's Sake), and we do it when we shop for our RVs and other Big Toys...
So you put the blame on people own/buying a 75k SUV? (which must be a really sweet ride)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:50 AM   #48

Almost everything you wanted to know about trailer tires

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=309
cap10gus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 04:42 AM   #49
Site Team - Lou

A camper that sat on the lot for a minimum of a year and a half should be a red flag for anyone. Tires take a lot of abuse when sitting for a long period of time with weight on them without being spun up to distribute plasticizers in the rubber to replace the ones cooked off in the sun.

Worse, a flat could go undetected for weeks before it is "refilled" possibly breaking a steel belt strand that can cause a blowout.

Blowouts can also occur do to road trash, sometimes unseen by the driver; and can also be caused by internal damage from a curb strike that happened months ago.

RV tires are covered under the tire manufacturer's warranty for the life of the tire. Incidental damage is covered under your insurance policy.

Tire blowouts are not normally covered by ANY camper manufacturer REGARDLESS of warranty status.

If the camper was previously registered and subsequently returned, there IS NO manufacturer's warranty as it is not transferable and the dealership should have informed you. (not sure if this applies in your case)..
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 AM   #50

If I get 10k miles from my tires I will feel blessed. Should of bought the exact same tires, I keep 2 spares with me and bought a TPM to keep a eye on them while traveling. Yea it sucks getting flats and damage but everything is solvable and from the sound of it you need to do some research and fix it yourself. That is how we fix issues that the dealer or factory says don't exist. And I did a bunch on my brand new unit most would not do...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #51

Sorry to hear about all your troubles , I have never had an issue with OEM tires , my wife and I took a trip to Alaska and toured around Canada and the USA in 2010 we put on a total of 22,500 Km (approx 13000 M) no tire issues , we traded in 2013 still had the original tires on it , we now have a 2014 Crusader 325RES we have about the 16,000 km (8500M)on the OEM tires and no problems, this is our 5th RV 3rd 5th W and I have never changed from the original tires. We have had minor problems with this one but I have been able to do the repairs myself. One thing , in regards to your TV coming on on it's own , we had the same problem with our 39" Legend TV in our unit , we called PrimeTime and they gave me the manufactures # 1-866-96legend we called and were very happy we did , though out of warranty, they sent us a NEW 40" TV to replace it all we had to pay was $106.00 to ship the old one back, that tells me they know there's a problem , give them a call , I hope you have better luck with your RV .
xleme93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:27 AM   #52

Tires

We live in Denton, Texas, so we see similar road conditions. Our original tires started showing strange wear at a thousand miles. We replaced them at two thousand. We also had the dealer check the axle alignments as the tires wore differently on opposite sides.

On the advice of a friend that owns a tire dealership, we avoided anything with the words Good Year on it.

We put on Michelin tires and went to "E" rated in the largest width that would fit our rims. The idea is that the wider tire spreads the load just a small amount. Last summer we towed over twelve thousand miles to Alaska an back with no tire problems. The tires still have good tread on them and we have made several short trips with them.

Trailer tires carry a lot of weight. Skimping on tires causes lost time, dollars and lots of frustration. Spend what to have too for the best you can get.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 12:03 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
So you put the blame on people own/buying a 75k SUV? (which must be a really sweet ride)
Read the Post a bit deeper - It's the pervasive "Personal Luxury but willing to Shop Dollar General (very cheapest East Asian products) to Save-a-Buck" mentality. It's the "Race-to-the-Bottom" whereby Consumers accept Polyamide Plastic Structural Panels instead of Plywood instead of Structural Steel Panels "because the resulting Product has a Lower Price Tag", thereby driving Out-of-Business any Manufacturers who fail to shift their Manufacturing along that same Downward-Slide (both to pursue the Customer's Dollar and the Bottom Line).

And that Cadillac Escalade pulling the 30ft'er when it isn't doing Socker-Mom Duty MSRPs for $80K. The RAM 3500 Duallie pulling your neighbor's 5er can easily Option-up into the $70K range. The GMC Yukon Denali is a relative STEAL at $65K. All of these can frequently be seen (along with the Benz GLs and Infinity QXs) in the Discount Store Parking Lots - maybe this can be construed as "Knowing how to Shop for a Bargain" but it is also the Fuel for the "Race to the Bottom".
Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #54

Your analysis makes sense to me.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:16 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpwelch50 View Post
We bought our 2012 FR Crusader 320RLT new off the lot in mid 2013. It has been one thing after another. The dealer has had it more than we have. Of course they fixed everything in the first year under warranty which was a list too long to write. Then, about 10K miles into the tires which were cheap chinese crap that came on the trailer, I blew a tire and tore off the fenders, the stairs, and half the flooring on the slide. After learning that "we should have known" that we should have bought new tires right away....I don't understand this theory because we don't put new tires on the cars we buy brand new.....we bought brand new trailer rated Goodyear tires. Less than 1000 miles into those tires we blew one going to WDW and one coming back from WDW which amounted to another 4K worth of damage to the trailer. Came home and bought 4 BRAND NEW TIRES (supercargo trailer tires rated E) and less than 500 miles into a trip I blew another tire and have done more than 5K damage to the trailer this time. It tore off stabilizer jack system/motor, ripped out the propane line, punched a hole in the floor and damaged the couch, bent the slide, tore off the fender, and punched a hole in the sidewall of the trailer.

I am the queen of caution when I drive. I NEVER go over 65 mph (to the consternation of my fellow drivers), I check the air pressure before, during and after every trip and I am more than 1000 lbs UNDER the gross weight. We barely put clothes in the thing and have even taken out half the furniture because we hated the recliners and didn't need 2 of the dining chairs. I never travel with water in the tanks. Most of the time I only have 1 propane tank full because I am usually not going that far. It is almost all highway miles with very little back roads driving other than to get to a campground.

I am so very tired of this tire issue. I am tired of things falling off in my hands. I am tired of the television coming on at odd hours of the day and night unless I unplug it. I am tired of the leaking fresh water tank. I am tired of the propane tank issues that have caused us to replace the regulator 3 times. I am so tired of worrying that I will be broke down on the side of the road with 2 four year olds, 2 dogs, and no cell signal.

We have spent so much money replacing things on this trailer. 12 tires in less than 2 years (we bought this trailer in mid 2013 but it was new. Hinges, doors, blinds, cords, plastic doohickeys, you name it, we have had to replace it.

Every time we take it for repairs or replacements they swear it is in good shape. The have leveled and lasered and greased and bent and replaced everything possible. A new water pump 2 weeks after warranty went out.

This is our first and last fifth wheel. We are so discouraged. Are we the only ones? Do we just have a lemon in a bowl of apples? Is this what I can expect from wanting to live the RV lifestyle? We could have stayed in resorts every year for the last 2 years and not spent as much as we have spent on this Crusader. My husband says I can't take it back out. It was to be our retirement traveling home. Now it's just a money pit.

Rant over. Would appreciate some feedback.

Michelle
Get rid of ST tires and put LT tires on.
harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #56

Quote:
We bought our 2012 FR Crusader 320RLT new off the lot in mid 2013. It has been one thing after another. The dealer has had it more than we have. Of course they fixed everything in the first year under warranty which was a list too long to write. Then, about 10K miles into the tires which were cheap chinese crap that came on the trailer, I blew a tire and tore off the fenders, the stairs, and half the flooring on the slide. After learning that "we should have known" that we should have bought new tires right away....I don't understand this theory because we don't put new tires on the cars we buy brand new.....we bought brand new trailer rated Goodyear tires. Less than 1000 miles into those tires we blew one going to WDW and one coming back from WDW which amounted to another 4K worth of damage to the trailer. Came home and bought 4 BRAND NEW TIRES (supercargo trailer tires rated E) and less than 500 miles into a trip I blew another tire and have done more than 5K damage to the trailer this time. It tore off stabilizer jack system/motor, ripped out the propane line, punched a hole in the floor and damaged the couch, bent the slide, tore off the fender, and punched a hole in the sidewall of the trailer.

I am the queen of caution when I drive. I NEVER go over 65 mph (to the consternation of my fellow drivers), I check the air pressure before, during and after every trip and I am more than 1000 lbs UNDER the gross weight. We barely put clothes in the thing and have even taken out half the furniture because we hated the recliners and didn't need 2 of the dining chairs. I never travel with water in the tanks. Most of the time I only have 1 propane tank full because I am usually not going that far. It is almost all highway miles with very little back roads driving other than to get to a campground.

I am so very tired of this tire issue. I am tired of things falling off in my hands. I am tired of the television coming on at odd hours of the day and night unless I unplug it. I am tired of the leaking fresh water tank. I am tired of the propane tank issues that have caused us to replace the regulator 3 times. I am so tired of worrying that I will be broke down on the side of the road with 2 four year olds, 2 dogs, and no cell signal.

We have spent so much money replacing things on this trailer. 12 tires in less than 2 years (we bought this trailer in mid 2013 but it was new. Hinges, doors, blinds, cords, plastic doohickeys, you name it, we have had to replace it.

Every time we take it for repairs or replacements they swear it is in good shape. The have leveled and lasered and greased and bent and replaced everything possible. A new water pump 2 weeks after warranty went out.

This is our first and last fifth wheel. We are so discouraged. Are we the only ones? Do we just have a lemon in a bowl of apples? Is this what I can expect from wanting to live the RV lifestyle? We could have stayed in resorts every year for the last 2 years and not spent as much as we have spent on this Crusader. My husband says I can't take it back out. It was to be our retirement traveling home. Now it's just a money pit.

Michelle

Get rid of ST tires and install LT tires.
harlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #57

Blown Tires

Quote:

Michelle
We had a blow out and plenty of damage. I contacted Goodyear and submitted a claim. They requested the tire and after examination covered all damage and replaced both tires on the blown side. You should always replace both - usually after a blowout the companion tire is damaged from the extra overload of weight it is subjected to. When I submitted my reason for the non blown tire they didn't hesitate to cover that one too. Still with Goodyear - requested tires made in the USA and also rated "G" - went ahead and replaced all 5 tires.
johnbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #58

12 tires in two years? I would of had concern after 2/4 not 12.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:32 PM   #59
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Ready to Throw in the …….

Quote:

Michelle
You might want to consider a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). I t may not prevent the blowouts, but will give you a warning before the tires get too hot or their pressure is too high or too low.
sanpedroflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #60

The OP doesn't need a TPMS they need to find out why the tires are blowing out but they wont ask the tire maker or submit them for inspection. So let the fun continue.