Old 08-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #31
Citrus County, Fl.
First off, just trying to help here....Most people are just trying to offer experienced suggestions. Our first TT had Goodyear Marathons (1999) and at that time they had a not so good reputation. No issues, kept them maxed on pressure, speed down and replaced them with Maxxis when they were 5 years old. Never had the trailer weighed. There were no such things at TPMS back then. First set up Maxxis we ran numerous trips from Fl. to NC and Texas and also a trip to NY. Replace them after 5 years with no issues. Many of these tires are only rated to 65mph so I always try to stay around 60 and enjoy the ride with less stress.

Trailer tires go thru a lot of stress, therefore need to be watched. A TPMS MAY have alerted you soon enough to avoid a tire failure as they monitor temp and pressure. In my opinion they are well worth the investment. I had them our recently traded in Flagstaff due to researching before our purchase and planned on replacing them this summer if we had not kept it.

Cap fading (and dents) is a known problem on here. My Flagstaff had a dent that the dealer told me was "normal" and never did anything about it. Fortunately my new dealer never noticed it when we traded. I feel sorry that you did not take the time to research the forums before making your purchase as you may have bought something else. However, most all have issues, even the 5ers that are +$100,000.

This forum is the greatest information resource and has answered many questions I have had. Too bad there are not active manufactures on here like there are for the Forester/Sunseeker and Dynamax, these guys have been and continue to be outstanding. Feel free to rant anytime, that is part of what the forum is for.

2016 Forester 3011DS
2015 Toyota Corrola S toad
PREVIOUS: 2015 Flagstaff 832IKBS
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:59 PM   #32
Site Team
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
IMO if everyone told every tire company/person how tired they are of junk tired I think they would fix it. I have spoke to several employees of Cooper Tire here...they just say ok. I have emailed them with a response on "we have no intention of making trailer tires..." Greasy wheels get the grease. Contact. Contact. Contact tire companies. They will get the drift

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
In a perfect world I agree, but in the our "driven by money world" today that is a waste of time. However if everyone purchasing a new or used RV refused to sign the paperwork and take delivery with Brand X tires because of quality issues, the company would quickly rectify the problem or be out of business. The same goes for RV's in general. It is frustrating to see new buyers on here who say I couldn't wait to pick it up so I overlooked some items based on a promised fix. If they sat on dealers lots until they were right, they would get the message very fast.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #33
Disturbing that someone joins this forum to ask for feedback and advice.......then gets pissed off and frustrated when advice is given......we are simply trying to help. Vent about your situation but don't vent about the FREE and Complimentary advice members are trying to provide. A lot of us probably do so over out Tablets and Smartphones, which makes typing that advice even more of a PITA. If you want to really find out what's wrong then spend a lot of money and tear the entire chassis down to the frame and see where your issue is. If you are asking why YOU'RE burning through tires so quickly (which, yes, is uncommon) then there must be a problem with either the rigs suspension, alignment, bushings, or how it's being driven/maintained. If you get posses by hear that, then you're not doing a good job diagnosing the issue. Go to the truck forums and see how pissed off some brand new diesel owners get when they have a HPFP go out and have to spend $20,000 to repair/replace their engine after spending $70k on a new truck. They don't get pissed off at the advice, they get pissed off at the situation and product. Of you're venting, then so be it...vent.
Corpus Christi, Texas

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
IronCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #34
I think one of the first easy things you should do is get a flashlight and inspect the wheelwells of that Crusader and try and find sharp edges or something that is contacting the tires when the suspension is compressed. That many tires in that short amount of time tells me something is wrong besides just crappy Chinese tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #35
I didn't mean to take issue with the ranting. Just noting that when you replace the tires, as almost all will, in my experience the Michelin XRIBs do the job. And just in case, a "curled" fender will also blow the tires. That too is a manufacturing defect, but you can replace all the tires you want to, but if that is not the problem, all you get is a red face. I agree that it's not right to have all these problems, and ranting is a good communication of our displeasure with FR and others. For what it's worth, we're going with Newmar or Tiffin next time around, but we have to save a few nickels before then. Meanwhile, I "try" to be helpful, but sometimes miss the mark.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #36
We had a similar experience with our 2011 Lexington Motorhome, but not as serious. It was one thing after another, including a blown tire but not with the damage you experienced. And we also were having additional problems when the warranty ran out. We finally wrote a letter documenting with a timeline, all of our difficulties. The factory did offer us help with a trade in if we wanted to trade in our lemon for another Forest River. We declined. Now, two years on, we love our lemon although we do continue having occasional problems. If this had been our first Motorhome instead of our fourth, it would have been our last. If you enjoy the life style, don't give up on your lemon. Do ask Forest River for some help though.
grandmapaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:40 PM   #37
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
Yes, nearly everyone has tire problems, and everyone needs to develop a strategy for managing the risk. A combination of TPMS (which can provide an early alert and thus help to avoid the sort of physical damage to your rig you have described from your past tire trouble), weight/load distribution management, speed, and driving habits, etc., can minimize the risks. Nothing short of parking it/selling it will eliminate all risk.

On the plus side, hardly anyone gets 10,000 miles out of their OEM tires as I believe I understood you to say you did in your original post. I got about 7,200 miles out of mine before my first blowout, which compares favorably with OEM results obtained by others.
This is a good post.

I'd sell the unit. No need to purchase another if you are done with this hobby. You can sell it on C/L and tell the entire story if you wish. I'd see what a dealer would give in cash or let them sell it on consignment.

I have no facts to back this comment up but I do read about this issue here every day. I think this is a common problem and that the more experienced people have thrown money at their brand new trailers to avoid the problem as much as possible. I don't think the majority of new trailer buyers understand or know that their very expensive new trailer might have a tire issue.

If you want to use your trailer as a destination trailer, then trade it in on an actual destination trailer. We love ours and have had no problems with it.
Ford 2015 F250 Crew Lariat Ultimate 6.7L Diesel 4X4

my_crib_too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #38
Originally Posted by bpadamson View Post
We bought a 7 year old 5th toyhauler last December and when I checked the tires after I pulled it out of their yard there was only 40psi in all 4 tires. Creeped to the nearest station and filled them up. Drove 200 miles home and was thankful I made it. Those old tires looked nearly new and they were the originals, so it seems you have an issue.
Do yourself a Big Favor: Replace "those old tires", as even IF they Look Nearly New, they have Aged Significantly.

Do a Search of the Forum for the many "How to Determine Tire Age from Sidewall Markings" and "Replace Aged Tires" threads...
Pup: '11 HW-296
TV: '09 RAM 1500 Hemi 4x4 CC
seigell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:58 PM   #39
We had a 2008 Cedar Creek 38'. It was hard on tires anjd I was constantly having issues, even with the Goodyear 614s. The axles were moving and eating up the tires (no blowouts). I eventually put MOR/ryde Independent Suspension axles, Goodyear G114 H rated tires, and disc brakes on it. From that day we logged over 20,000 miles and NEVER had another issue with tires or axles. My opinion is the problem with the tires was the suspension and axles.

We now own a 2014 Trilogy 42' camper and we are full time. I ordered it with the MOR/ryde Independent Suspension and Disc brakes. In 15,000 miles of travel we have had NO issues with the tires. They are the Goodyear G114 H series, just like we put on the Cedar Creek.

2014 Dynamax Trilogy 3850RL - South Hampton Interior, Full Body Paint (Black / Silver / White), MOR/ryde Independent Suspension, MOR/ryde Disc Brakes, ONAN 5500 Generator, Progressive Industries HW50C w/Dual Display, Winegard HD Dish w/DirecTV, Washer & Dryer, iSprings 7-stage Reverse Osmosis Water Filter, Trail-Air Flex Air Pin Box, Third AC installed, AC Voltage/Amp Meters, DC Amp Meter.
Retired USAF - Full Timers!
John Hagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:19 PM   #40
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Maxxis makes a great trailer tire which is US made
This is news to me. When did Maxxis move to the USA?

The only ST tire I know of made here is one line made by Carlisle.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is online now   Reply With Quote