Old 08-05-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Angry Ready To Throw In The Towel

We bought our 2012 FR Crusader 320RLT new off the lot in mid 2013. It has been one thing after another. The dealer has had it more than we have. Of course they fixed everything in the first year under warranty which was a list too long to write. Then, about 10K miles into the tires which were cheap chinese crap that came on the trailer, I blew a tire and tore off the fenders, the stairs, and half the flooring on the slide. After learning that "we should have known" that we should have bought new tires right away....I don't understand this theory because we don't put new tires on the cars we buy brand new.....we bought brand new trailer rated Goodyear tires. Less than 1000 miles into those tires we blew one going to WDW and one coming back from WDW which amounted to another 4K worth of damage to the trailer. Came home and bought 4 BRAND NEW TIRES (supercargo trailer tires rated E) and less than 500 miles into a trip I blew another tire and have done more than 5K damage to the trailer this time. It tore off stabilizer jack system/motor, ripped out the propane line, punched a hole in the floor and damaged the couch, bent the slide, tore off the fender, and punched a hole in the sidewall of the trailer.

I am the queen of caution when I drive. I NEVER go over 65 mph (to the consternation of my fellow drivers), I check the air pressure before, during and after every trip and I am more than 1000 lbs UNDER the gross weight. We barely put clothes in the thing and have even taken out half the furniture because we hated the recliners and didn't need 2 of the dining chairs. I never travel with water in the tanks. Most of the time I only have 1 propane tank full because I am usually not going that far. It is almost all highway miles with very little back roads driving other than to get to a campground.

I am so very tired of this tire issue. I am tired of things falling off in my hands. I am tired of the television coming on at odd hours of the day and night unless I unplug it. I am tired of the leaking fresh water tank. I am tired of the propane tank issues that have caused us to replace the regulator 3 times. I am so tired of worrying that I will be broke down on the side of the road with 2 four year olds, 2 dogs, and no cell signal.

We have spent so much money replacing things on this trailer. 12 tires in less than 2 years (we bought this trailer in mid 2013 but it was new. Hinges, doors, blinds, cords, plastic doohickeys, you name it, we have had to replace it.

Every time we take it for repairs or replacements they swear it is in good shape. The have leveled and lasered and greased and bent and replaced everything possible. A new water pump 2 weeks after warranty went out.

This is our first and last fifth wheel. We are so discouraged. Are we the only ones? Do we just have a lemon in a bowl of apples? Is this what I can expect from wanting to live the RV lifestyle? We could have stayed in resorts every year for the last 2 years and not spent as much as we have spent on this Crusader. My husband says I can't take it back out. It was to be our retirement traveling home. Now it's just a money pit.

Rant over. Would appreciate some feedback.

Michelle (and Mark) Welch, Texas
Rotor the psycho border collie
First time RVers, retired Army CW4 helo pilot
Ford F250 4x4
Prime Time Crusader 320RLT Touring Edition
2013 days 7
Mpwelch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
Not totally typical but these forums are filled with similar stories... unfortunately. I don't know if Texas lemon laws cover RVs... but they probably don't. This and all other states need lemon laws for 5ers and TTs. I've been lucky, so far. Everything on mine has been fixed by me. There hasn't been anything major other than the bath skylight recall and a cracked sink. I do not trust the dealership and their "techs". They don't generally pay well enough to hire good people. I found the defects in my tires before they caused any damage, and changed to Maxxis... but I still have my fingers crossed every time I go out.

This is our second TT and as I said we've been lucky. I'm researching brands to upgrade next year. Our family is experiencing a population explosion. In 5 years we've had 6 grandchildren. We want to take them camping, fishing, and hiking instead of to theme parks, etc.

I've been pretty vocal about the poor quality products that most RV manufacturers put out. Complaining on the web doesn't seem to have much effect... and probably never will. We work hard for the time we have off. When that time is stolen, along with our dollars that we spent for these things, it seems criminal to me... and from your post and many others, I know I'm not alone.

J & D in Lovely Weatherford, TX
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH TT
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 6.7L Cummins
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:31 PM   #3
Wow that is a bad story. Sounds like you got a real lemon. I have been fortunate in that my previous TT and my current 5er have been pretty much problem free. I can't imagine how frustrated you must be; I would have sold it off a while ago and tried again.

Never heard of Supercargo trailer tires. Who sells those?
2001 Ford F250 7.3l converted to F350 specs
2014 Flagstaff 8528RKWS
2 - 2006 model year Border Collies
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:06 PM   #4
Sorry the hear about all your tire problems. What size tire are you running on your unit? I think that 2012 FR Crusader's came standard with 15 inch wheels and 16 inch wheels were an option.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #5
How sad, I don't blame you one bit. I've never heard of those tires but there are so many from China the brand name ones also from there. It's like pot luck with ST tires it seems. Did your insurance pay for all the repairs.
2014 Palomino Columbus 3650TH
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #6
Man, I thought I had a got me beat.
Karacell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 PM   #7
We keep reading about blown tires on the fifth wheels. Is this a problem primarily on fivers, or does it happen to the TT's too? My DH and I are starting to think that this is due to the weight of the trailers. Perhaps they need three axels and six tires to be safer.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #8
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
We keep reading about blown tires on the fifth wheels. Is this a problem primarily on fivers, or does it happen to the TT's too? My DH and I are starting to think that this is due to the weight of the trailers. Perhaps they need three axels and six tires to be safer.
I think TTs have the same problem with tires. Even if ST tires are properly matched to the axles and trailer weight doesn't exceed the tire's weight limits, the damned things either age out or have early blowouts.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
I feel for ya! Our 3 month old social order vengeance toyhauler is on its second refrigeraror, second AC going on its third, loose or kinked plumbing hoses, and now we noticed the black metal skirt around the bottom of the trailer is completely warped and detached from the outside walls just on one side of the trailer. This puppy is going up for sale after this next round of repairs. It's a shame, it was exactly what we were looking for and FR has tried hard to help but it's just not working
Abrozny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:34 PM   #10
IMO if everyone told every tire company/person how tired they are of junk tired I think they would fix it. I have spoke to several employees of Cooper Tire here...they just say ok. I have emailed them with a response on "we have no intention of making trailer tires..." Greasy wheels get the grease. Contact. Contact. Contact tire companies. They will get the drift

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

totalled 04-11-16 by storm(picking up new one 10-26-16)
Iwannacamp is online now   Reply With Quote