Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #41

And it doesn't matter how many innocent drivers in your vicinity that you take out with you when your combination loses it.
rblack22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:37 PM   #42

It can be done no problem...just a very expensive tranny away...when the This and is cousins the Q7 and Cayenne were introduced there was a commercial of it hauling a large Air Stream...Often cars in NA tow ratings are down graded for warranty reasons...in Europe and Australia many of the same vehicles sold here are rated much higher.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:14 AM   #43

Let's not be so quick to judge this setup as unsafe. One of our own here on the board had a very similar setup and towed MANY miles. Don't fool yourself, just because we have big trucks does not make our setups safer!

Sorry to disagree, but yes it does.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but yes it does.
I'll have to go the other way. Sure, I've seen a handful of smaller vehicles pulling larger trailers that were obviously not set up properly and, yes, I'd consider those unsafe. However...I've seen a much larger number of larger trucks hauling a#$ because it's like it's "not back there", not leaving enough stopping distance, blowing tires, etc. and I consider that just as unsafe. As long as everything is within it's ratings and has the right equipment (properly adjusted), it's as much or more about the driver than the rig.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:25 AM   #45

Initially, we were looking at 20'to 22' travel trailers, planning to tow one with our 2005 Honda Pilot. Then, upon further research we decided not to. It would have eventually put too much stress on the Pilot's tranny. We did not want to buy a truck and a TT. Instead we bought a 22' Forester Class C. But, the Pilot is too big to be a toad. Too small for one, too big for another! Now, we are looking to purchase a Wrangler as a toad.
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #46

That Touareg weighs as much as my Ram 1500. They, and their cousins the Q7/Cayenne, are no joke when it comes to stability and braking. Set up properly I see no reason why that Touareg couldn't tow that trailer safely in any condition.

Simply put, those SUV's are tanks. Transmissions in them are pretty stout as well.
Old 05-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #47

Testing the hypothesis

I guess the thing to do is a long-term report.

I'm going next week to get my 2006 Cayenne S setup to tow my new 20ft E-Pro.

I figure it has much bigger brakes than an F150 (with 6-piston calipers) and weighs more than an F150, so I figure the safety factors are better than a truck. As far as moving the trailer, my S model has 350hp, so that should be plenty.

Things that people don't realize about the Porsche/VW/Audi triplets...

Longitudinal Engine, followed by transmission, followed by a separate transfer case (with low-range and locking center diff). Sounds sort of like a truck.
From the transfer case, you send power to the front, separate differential for the front axle and a separate differential for the rear, sounds kind of like a truck.
If you clicked the right boxes on the order form (for the right years), you can even get locking rear and front diffs. Kind of like (only a very few) trucks.

There are a lot of econo-car based "SUVs" out there that have transaxles that enclose the front diff and the transfer case and are primarily FWD, etc, but that's NOT the case for the Porsche/VW/Audi.

So... ya'll may be right, but I guess I'll find out. I'll report back next week.
stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 06:56 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecz View Post
I guess the thing to do is a long-term report.

I'm going next week to get my 2006 Cayenne S setup to tow my new 20ft E-Pro.

I figure it has much bigger brakes than an F150 (with 6-piston calipers) and weighs more than an F150, so I figure the safety factors are better than a truck. As far as moving the trailer, my S model has 350hp, so that should be plenty.

Things that people don't realize about the Porsche/VW/Audi triplets...

Longitudinal Engine, followed by transmission, followed by a separate transfer case (with low-range and locking center diff). Sounds sort of like a truck.
From the transfer case, you send power to the front, separate differential for the front axle and a separate differential for the rear, sounds kind of like a truck.
If you clicked the right boxes on the order form (for the right years), you can even get locking rear and front diffs. Kind of like (only a very few) trucks.

There are a lot of econo-car based "SUVs" out there that have transaxles that enclose the front diff and the transfer case and are primarily FWD, etc, but that's NOT the case for the Porsche/VW/Audi.

So... ya'll may be right, but I guess I'll find out. I'll report back next week.
You do realize that you re-awakened a 5 year old thread.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:55 PM   #49
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Just because you can doesn't mean you should..... I have had not enough TV for the tt and got pushed down a 7% grade. Never again. And that was an armada towing a 7300 lb loaded weight 30 ft TT. It wasn't just the mountain issue either. White knuckle handling when cars of any size pass you, holding on for dear life at 55 mph, praying you don't have a truck pass you, tail wagging the dog, these are all symptoms I had. No thanks. Switched to f250 with that tt. Rock solid. Barely needed brakes on the same mountain pass. Something that small towing a giant sail is not a good idea..... I wonder what frontal surface area it is rated to tow? Also, allot for the weight of occupants and I'll bet it's over on payload. Hope it has a Hensley arrow hitch.
Frontal Surface Area rating ? That doesn't exist.
Old 05-26-2021, 10:56 PM   #50
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
You do realize that you re-awakened a 5 year old thread.
Dang it !
Old 05-26-2021, 11:04 PM   #51
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARhappycamper View Post
Dang it !
Don't worry, you weren't around here then.[emoji23]
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:24 PM   #52
Site Team

Quote:

Read page 16 here of the 2021 Ford Towing guide.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...owingGuide.pdf

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-26 2021 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide - 2021_Ford_RVandTrailerTowingGuide .png
Views:	64
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	255460

or page 13 here for your year model Ford

https://www.fleet.ford.com/content/d...VTTowGuide.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:52 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:

If you also notice in the Ford frontal area ratings, at the bottom they reference J2807. Here it is if you want to read it as it tells about the frontal surface areas.

https://www.automotive-fleet.com/fc_.../pdf/j2807.pdf

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 06:00 AM   #54

I enjoy the forum, I enjoy reading and learning from the experience of others. I am amused by how many people worry about China bombs, not being the first up a hill, sway, emergency braking, carrying every spare part for trailer and tow vehicle, every tool to repair. I just wonder if they have time to enjoy rving.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:23 PM   #55

I didn't make my first report (not that anyone probably cares). But I recently drove from Bertram TX to Mesquite to pickup our E20BHS. Drove it home in driving rain with no issues. The Cayenne really towed well, it is easily able to maintain speed up hills, it did downshift from 6th to 5th more than without the trailer and my gas mileage went from it's normal 14.5, to 12.5 average for the drive home.

Overall, I'd say the Cayenne did excellent.

With the load distributing hitch, the back of the truck didn't squat and it handled bumps much better than I was expecting considering the trailer is single axle.

I guess I'll find out how long it lasts long-term.

The one major downside is that my Cayenne has a factory rear spare tire mount, and the spare tire interferes with the hitch, so I have to take the spare off and stick it in the hatch. For 99.9% of Cayennes that wouldn't be a problem.
stecz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #56

You'd be surprised at the people who care. Glad you had a good towing experience and your gas mileage is great. If your towing numbers are good, you won't have to worry about overtasking your vehicle.