Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2016, 11:15 AM   #31
Senior Member
 
geeman53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 2,149
My advice is to stay on FLAT LAND !
__________________

__________________
2016 sunseeker 2250slec
1988 Jayco p.u.,Coleman Plantation p.u.,1989 Jayco class c, Coachman TT,1995 Little Eddie fthwheel,2007 Heartland Sundance 2500 lS fthwheel
geeman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #32
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,825
Thing is with the European trailers or caravans.. They often do not have large water tanks, no waste tanks and use cassette toilets. They may look like our trailers but they are not. They are made to be pulled with the smaller cars if over there so they are much lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________

__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:32 AM   #33
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Thing is with the European trailers or caravans.. They often do not have large water tanks, no waste tanks and use cassette toilets. They may look like our trailers but they are not. They are made to be pulled with the smaller cars if over there so they are much lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
True and generally better constructed from the ones I saw at a show in Munich.
Im just pointing out, as others have that just because its not a truck doesn't mean its not safe.
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,737
I always get a chuckle on these vehicles pulling stuff. They aren't real tests; they are what are known as "STUNTS."

Remember the Tundra pulling the space shuttle? A Tourareg pulling a 747 down a runway at 5mph is NOT the same as pulling a TT down the highway at 65mph. I've seen video of a guy pulling a locomotive with his teeth. But he can't do the same at 65mph.

All any of these vehicles have to do is overcome a bit of rolling resistance and the inertia of the thing they're pulling. No wind resistance to speak of and no changes in elevation. Most of our HP is expended in overcoming drag, not weight.

Gear anything down low enough and it can pull anything; just probably not very fast. Remember Archimedes Lever: "Give me a place to stand and I can move the world."
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 PM   #35
Who Dares, Wins
 
doc73's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chester County, PA
Posts: 4,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreiHunde View Post
True and generally better constructed from the ones I saw at a show in Munich.
Im just pointing out, as others have that just because its not a truck doesn't mean its not safe.
It is amazing how much better they are build, no real frills but still well build... And parking brakes... Weird.

I am all about keeping the right size vehicle for the job.. But I bet that person in the photo from the op is probably not a member here, or anywhere... Where he looked at the numbers and came and learned the reality if towing size.. He prob bought into the dry weight was the weight and the sales person said he could do it... Those are the ones who scare me.. Not so much the ones that UNDERSTAND what they are doing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
__________________

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 12:48 PM   #36
DDC
Senior Member
 
DDC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Komoka Ontario
Posts: 2,363
Well I towed with a Touareg, 30 foot surveyor using a Hensley and it handled it a lot better than some some of the so called great towing trucks, it also returned an economical 22 miles to the gallon towing, as for stopping, well the trailer for the most part had brakes but on one trip last year I had to do an emergency stop on I40 and after that the trailer brakes became less effective and I found I was braking more using the VW brakes (actually Porsche brakes). When I arrived in Goshen and Dexter disassembled the brakes on the trailer they all fell out in pieces, must say I was glad I had a vehicle capable of stopping this trailer because most don't, give it a try disconnect the brake and go up to say 25 mph and see how useless your vehicle is at stopping.
I would recommend this VW as a great tow vehicle and I know because I have actually been there.
__________________
"Well that didn't go as expected"
2015 Chev 2500HD Highcountry Duramax
Cedar Creek Silverback 33IK
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:44 PM   #37
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
It is amazing how much better they are build, no real frills but still well build... And parking brakes... Weird.

I am all about keeping the right size vehicle for the job.. But I bet that person in the photo from the op is probably not a member here, or anywhere... Where he looked at the numbers and came and learned the reality if towing size.. He prob bought into the dry weight was the weight and the sales person said he could do it... Those are the ones who scare me.. Not so much the ones that UNDERSTAND what they are doing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Well said and I agree!
__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #38
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Thing is with the European trailers or caravans.. They often do not have large water tanks, no waste tanks and use cassette toilets. They may look like our trailers but they are not. They are made to be pulled with the smaller cars if over there so they are much lighter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
EXACTLY!
I get so tired of this comparison.

I've been in Europe a total of 10 weeks and did a lot of driving.
As doc said, European trailers are way different than ours.
Very lightweight, lower profile, rounded edges and very low tongue weights.

Then there's the basic amenities they have, compared to our trailers.
Everything is built for weight savings.
Visit some of the European RV manufacturers and check their TT'S features and specs.

That's why they can be tow by cars.

I can tell you that I saw many instances of the tail wagging the dog though.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:52 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 26
The Touareg has a higher towing capacity, more torque and better braking than a 1500 Suburban. But so many members here have to have a good old American pickup chassis truck or SUV. The touareg actually has better towing capacity, torque and braking than most 1/2 half ton trucks.
__________________
AudiOnly101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #40
(Dry Huunday)
 
DreiHunde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eastern North Carolina
Posts: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
EXACTLY!
I get so tired of this comparison.

I've been in Europe a total of 10 weeks and did a lot of driving.
As doc said, European trailers are way different than ours.
Very lightweight, lower profile, rounded edges and very low tongue weights.

Then there's the basic amenities they have, compared to our trailers.
Everything is built for weight savings.
Visit some of the European RV manufacturers and check their TT'S features and specs.

That's why they can be tow by cars.

I can tell you that I saw many instances of the tail wagging the dog though.
"Built for weight savings" sounds like a truly horrible idea! Lol!

Im just trying to point out what many many others have tried to do. You dont need a 3500 dually to tow. I really dont care what others chose, its their decision, plain and simple.
__________________

__________________

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:10 PM.