Old 11-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandsphotography View Post
I'd like to get everyone's opinion on that subject. Do you think a fifth wheel rides better with no sway as compared to a TT. If i'd have had a 5'er instead do you think this would have turned out different?
I had read somewhere in the past of a study of RV safety. While NO RV is completely safe from a handling or crash worthiness standpoint they did rate them from best to worst by class (relatively speaking). I remember that 5th wheel trailers came out better than normal trailers. I would guess that the point where the weight is carried has a lot to do with it. Focusing the weight and leverage behind the rear bumper with a normal trailer proved to be less desirable than putting it above or ahead of the rear axle such as in a 5th wheel. Consider that you don't see semi trucks pulling their weight from behind the tractor but always over the axles just as with a 5th wheel.

I myself have never been a "trailer" type of person preferring a Class A or Class C for personal reasons experienced when I was a kid (I'd go into the story but it is a bit long) over trailers or truck campers. However if I was to go the trailer route I wouldn't personally consider anything but a 5er, for many (again personal) reasons. Others may have a different viewpoint and valid reasons for choosing the RV they do.

Look on the bright side though, now you get to shop for and buy a new rig, that's always fun.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 PM   #12

1st of all I'm very happy that you & your family came through without any serious injuries. Miracles happen every day!

Regarding RV safety I did a bunch of research before I bought mine. I highly recommend two sites:

1) http://rv.org/index.html

These folks are RV safety experts and they rate RVs for safety. I bought a full membership and received the RV ratings CDs.

A quote from their site regarding 5ers:
"The fifth wheel type of trailer has been used in the trucking industry for almost 100 years because it is a safe way of carrying heavy loads. It's safe because the hitch configuration allows the trailer to be attached over the truck's rear wheels, and typically up to 20 percent of its hitch weight to be exerted on the front suspension of the towing vehicle. Because of its forgiving nature to road and driving conditions, commercial truckers use the fifth wheel hitch configuration to carry extremely heavy loads. A fifth wheel trailer will stick to the tow vehicle through thick and thin. In many adverse handling situations, a fifth wheel trailer will actually enhance the ability of the tow vehicle to stick to the road. Whether in tractor-trailer rigs or in travel trailers, the fifth wheel configuration is popular because of its safety and handling capabilities."

Also I highly recommend this guy:

http://rveducation101.com/

I bought his RV Driving 101 DVD set. VERY informative. I have no doubt it will save my rig someday and probably my life. I plan to watch them every spring.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

We're very sorry to hear of your accident...thankfully no injuries.
Hopefully the insurance company will settle quickly and painlessly.
Take care,
Dave & Monica

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #14

Glad to hear you are O.K. As far as safety aspect, I never had an issue with the TT's I pulled. Couple of years ago I was towing my 29' 5er with wife, Mom & Dad in a SB F250. Cruising down I495 in Mass, following a tractor trailer. Never saw the huge bump coming (road under const.) and when we hit it, the hitch picked the whole rear axle of the truck off the road. Started to pivot, but it came back down enough for me to straighten out. Probably biggest scare I ever had.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #15

Wow glad you`re all ok like the others said campers can be replaced your alive and no one was hurt or killed as far as the hitch coming undone maybe a little extra in the church collection is in order and i`m not a religious guy either
Old 11-12-2009, 09:21 AM   #16
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
kegstealer: I've been thinking the same thing about the fifth wheel. I'd like to get everyone's opinion on that subject. Do you think a fifth wheel rides better with no sway as compared to a TT. If i'd have had a 5'er instead do you think this would have turned out different?
The following opinion may be worth what you paid for it:

1. 5th wheels by their nature are less prone to sway than TT. If they do get a little squirrelly I have read that you get on the gas AND the trailer brakes and that, in theory, should straighten things up. If you can remember to do this as your life passes before your minds eye...

2. Once the 5th wheel has decided it's going over on it's side, there's good news and bad news: It is NOT EVER going to disconnect from the truck and the truck is going over, too. The good news is the truck IS NOT going over on the roof, just up on its side. Of all the nasty pics of RV wrecks people have posted on the 'net, I have never seen a fiver roll completely upside down. Many properly belted in fiver drivers have walked away from their ruined rigs laying over on its side.
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #17
SandPiper 345 QB

I would never go back to a pull behind after having a 5ver.
Much more stable while towing the passing trucks don't push it around and hooking up is a one man job.
But if the trailer rolls so will you due to the attachment point.
Glad you are all safe.
IIFID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #18

Well, met with the adjuster yesterday and we went over what the trailer was worth. Let's say i made out better then if i would have sold it to a private party. I got MSRP on it, which was more then i paid for it so i'm very happy with my insurance company right now.
All in all, that bad day turned out to be a prett good one.

thanks to everyone who wished me well and for your comments.

Erik
Old 11-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #19
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Well, met with the adjuster yesterday and we went over what the trailer was worth. Let's say i made out better then if i would have sold it to a private party. I got MSRP on it, which was more then i paid for it so i'm very happy with my insurance company right now.
All in all, that bad day turned out to be a prett good one.

thanks to everyone who wished me well and for your comments.

Erik
That's great to hear. Now you can start your homework for the replacement. I'm glad everything worked out for you. Have a great day!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #20

mightymike: Never saw the huge bump coming (road under const.) and when we hit it, the hitch picked the whole rear axle of the truck off the road. Started to pivot, but it came back down enough for me to straighten out. Probably biggest scare I ever had."

Hey mike. After reading this i'm beginning to think that this is what happened to me.
I was just going over a small bridge overpass but there was just a slight bump going onto the bridge and i'm wondering if maybe it was enough to just get the back tires on the truck to lose traction and it just went south from there. It's about the best explanation i've come up with so far.
This also goes along with my other theory of my weight dist hitch. Just 3 weeks ago i got rid of my dodge ram 1500 which i used to tow this trailer. My hitch was set-up by my trailer dealer when i bought it so when i bought the chevy 2500 a few weeks ago and i got it home and hooked it up to the trailer it seemed to squat the rearend more then what i wanted. I moved up the L brackets mounted to the trailer by one hole to take some weight off the back and move it to the front of the truck. I am now second guessing myself as if this and that bridge bump caused the weight on the front end to lift the rear of the truck just enough to lose traction and cause the skid. I dont know, but it's just a theory that i've come up with.