Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #1

Rear A/C compressor cycles...

Finally was warm enough again today - notice the rear A/C stayed on all day. Put a infrared thermometer on the vents - noticed that the temp went from 58 to 65 - also noticed if you listen close enough, you could hear the compressor kicking on and off - of course that corresponded with the low and higher temps too.

Because of this, I could never reach my desired 75 degrees temp - which really shouldn't ever be that difficult as there is only one room to cool.

Any ideas? Low Freon maybe? I have a friend in the A/C business - will have him come out this week to inspect.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #2

AC temp to 75 degrees? You may need to lower the thermostat down for the AC to kick in
or
Turn the fan switch to auto. Sounds like you have it on low or high.
The fan will keep running but the AC cycles on and off.
Put the fan in Auto and it will shut off when the AC reaches the thermostat temp.
Hopefully you can figure it out.

Good luck.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
AC temp to 75 degrees? You may need to lower the thermostat down for the AC to kick in
or
Turn the fan switch to auto. Sounds like you have it on low or high.
The fan will keep running but the AC cycles on and off.
Put the fan in Auto and it will shut off when the AC reaches the thermostat temp.
Hopefully you can figure it out.

Good luck.
So the temp was 78 according to the Dometic Thermostat -> Turn off then press the - button. Yes - I thought it was NOT on auto either - a symptom of running low or high...I accused my wife when she told me about it 2 weeks ago...I lived but crow doesn't taste good... So set to 75 and never could reach that temp on AUTO as the compressor keeps going on and off.

So now after dark, the 75 temp is reached and it has turned off. But when it comes on, you can still the hear the compressor going on and off while the fan is running.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalberto View Post
So the temp was 78 according to the Dometic Thermostat -> Turn off then press the - button. Yes - I thought it was NOT on auto either - a symptom of running low or high...I accused my wife when she told me about it 2 weeks ago...I lived but crow doesn't taste good... So set to 75 and never could reach that temp on AUTO as the compressor keeps going on and off.

So now after dark, the 75 temp is reached and it has turned off. But when it comes on, you can still the hear the compressor going on and off while the fan is running.

Sorry but I have to ask questions to totally understand what's happening.

So you mean the lowest temp the AC can get in Texas today was 75 degrees? Should be able to freeze you out.
How about the other AC thermostat?
Does it do the same?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #5

I have the rear temp set to 75. Now this was late afternoon yesterday. Since I couldn't reach a 75 degree temp, the unit kept running all day trying to achieve the set temp. While trying to achieve this temp, you could hear the compressor cycling on and off while the fan was still running. But temp was never close to 75.

You are correct. Should freeze you out in the rear.

The front works like it should. We keep the front to 75 too. It has a lot more area to cool not that matters for the rear.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:54 PM   #6

We have an issue with our AC. Dometic 2014 Coachman Freedom Express. 15k btu. Dealer said they were replacing these. Corrosion somewhere in the unit and the freon leaked out. Compressor runs fine, air blows great. No cooling. Might be worth a call to your dealer to see if your unit falls under this. They did not issue a recall. They extended our warranty to cover this. Newer models had this issue taken care of. Ours didn't get caught until 1.5 yrs after we brought her home. Still love her tho!!!
RubyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:14 PM   #7

Any ideas? Low Freon maybe? I have a friend in the A/C business - will have him come out this week to inspect.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully your friend knows what he's doing; be careful- I don't think they add juice to these units. No valves if I remember right. Somebody with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Just had our 2015 15000 BTU Dometic Brisk Air II replaced. My mobile tech has been busy the last year with the 2014 models failing. Said Dometic is aware of it. All replaced under Dometics 2 year warranty. Unfortunately my 13500 is also in the same date range so it's just a matter of time before it goes also. I purchased Dometics five year warranty on the 13500 for $100 so when it goes I'm not paying $900 to replace it

Per the tech, Dometic switched freon and did not make mods to other parts to handle the new freon. My compressor reach a temp of 280° and never shut down until it self destructed.
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 04:18 PM   #9

So I have a Mobil RV guy coming out this week - hopefully Monday. I was inspecting my filters I had a question as to what this box does? See picture.

And why does my front A/C NOT have one. I don't understand.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	107273  
Old 05-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

RV Mobile tech came out yesterday. Bad OH Sensor telling the Compressor to stop. Question is why did it fail so soon. Tested compressor - I was told the amps are a little high and all over the place. They think this is most likely the reason the sensor failed. Warned me to expect the compressor to go next.

Making an appointment to bring into a dealer to diagnose/fix under warrenty. Won't be until mid-June most likely. Sorta was expecting that.