Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 PM   #1

Recommend a Vacuum Cleaner

My daughter is off in college and is asking me to get her a vacuum for her dorm room. I have a Hoover "stick" type vacuum in the TT but the wife constantly complains about the job it does. Can any of you guys recommend a "stick" unit that has done well by you? I'm not looking for a full size home vac as her space is limited and I would rather not break the bank. Thanks guys!

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

I recommend a SHARK, they have 2 different sizes. We have small one kept under the bed in the trailer and full size for the house. We have a Brittney that sheds alot and it picks all the hair up easily. Just around a 100.00 bucks or so and I think it's better then a dyson. Same technology. SUPER POWERFUL. Much better then a Red Devil even built in for a trailer. It will do hard wood floors and rugs.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:42 PM   #3

Recommend a Vacuum Cleaner

That's funny because I work at the local VA and I just saw a display of Sharks downstairs in the canteen. I think they were $189, a little pricey but it sounds like they work well. I'm going to search for the $100 version you mentioned. Thanks for the info.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1408725680.460110.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	644.0 KB
ID:	61180

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2012 F-350 4x4 King Ranch Super Duty CC 6.7 Turbo Diesel 3.55 e-locker
2011 Palomino Puma 30KFBDS with Side Paw Kitchen and Bunkhouse
Equalizer E2 Hitch
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

For a dorm room a Shark would be fine Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Shark Navigator Lift-Away Professional Upright (NV356E)

For the camper, I prefer the Red Devil central, vac. It picks up dog hair just fine and works on bare floors and storage is minimal even with the power head. 31' hose makes it convenient to clean the whole camper without unplugging. Can even take it to the basement and outside to the truck.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:57 AM   #5

Dyson. The small portable. You get what you pay for. Super machine.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Barker 3500 Tongue Jack
DW & a feisty Border Terrier named Painter
slipf18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:28 AM   #6

We have the Dyson DC44 in both the house and camper, and love it. It comes with a charging station that hangs conveniently on the wall and out of the way and a couple of attachments. Picks up the animal hair with ease and we can vacuum the whole camper on a single charge and have plenty of juice left over. Ordered through Amazon and got the refurbished ones for about 1/2 - 2/3 of the price for a new one, and they have the full factory warranty as if purchased new.

Days camped 2014 - 0, 2015 - 24
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 06:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post

+1
Old 08-25-2014, 09:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASPEDDLER View Post
That's funny because I work at the local VA and I just saw a display of Sharks downstairs in the canteen. I think they were $189, a little pricey but it sounds like they work well. I'm going to search for the $100 version you mentioned. Thanks for the info.Attachment 61180

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
we have the Shark rocket and it has worked really well.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipf18 View Post

+2

have Dyson's at home office and rv. Love them.

My cool Dyson story is that the first unit we bought broke about 4 years into owning it...small plastic wheel. I call Dyson to arrange for repair. In doing so i tell the Customer service person about how great a vacuum it is. It even sucks up mice. We live in the country on just over 30 acres and being an old farm house it occasionaly will see a field mouse. Well turns out the hose and tube will not only suction a mouse it has enough power to then pull it all the way into the catch cylinder. No fuss no mess. Have caught 3 like this in last 9 years which is more than the cats have. Long story short....they fixed it free and paid shipping both ways for a full size unit many years old. Best vacuums ive ever owned. Love the new small Lithium Ion super vacs. Have one in RV in the closet takes up almost no room....and DW loves how well they work. you can buy for less but you cant buy better.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:51 PM   #10

I second the Dyson, we have a DC59 at the house and it usually gets packed in the camper when we head out. Our 5er has a central vac in it but I can usually get the entire camper vacuumed with the Dyson before I can get the hose out and connected to the central vac. We picked ours up at Kohls when they had the $100 off along with a 30% off coupon so it was not near as expensive as they normally are.
I was always skeptical of them being so pricey, but after having it I love them. Actually went a couple weeks later and bought a second Dyson (full size) for the house it impressed me so much.