Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #1

Recommendations?

Not looking for any bashing of others, just truthful and honest answers plz. We currently have a 2015 Primetime Avenger 27BBS travel trailer. This is a great starter and we now know we are bitten by the "bug" for rv-ing. We are wanting to upgrade to a fifth wheel. I am looking for advice on quality models and any good/bad models to stay away from. In addition to the obvious amenities, we want a polar package, at least 2 but prefer 3 slide outs, 50 amp service, a true bunk room (not a corner bunk bed), and ability to add washer/dryer. I have a 2014 F250 with a gooseneck hitch so we can tow quite a bit.
We have just learned from our current trailer that it is an intro model as the walls, floor, and ceilings are thin, along with the cabinet shelves the same. The bathroom is cramped and the "bunk corner" is crowded for any guest. Any recommendations as we do not want to buy another for many many years. Thanks in advance
rhino_160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The Sierra/Sandpiper 365saqb comes to mind first. Has everything you want (I had a 2012 model) but is on the upper limits (maybe slightly over) of your truck. Some will say you don't have the payload and will kill your family trying to pull it. I pulled mine with a 3/4 for 2 yrs and felt safe. I also moved to a 3500 and it pulled it even better. Loaded up, pin weight was around 2200/2300 lbs. it is a great family rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 PM   #3

I have seen some nice Bighorn, Montana bunk houses. I have a Cedar Creek but I don't think they come in bunkhouse. It's what you like and what you can pull, a 3/4 ton will not pull big campers great. Just don't get more camper than you can pull. Wildcat makes some pretty campers

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Prime Time makes the Crusader and Sanibel models with bunkhouses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums 🇺🇸
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

We went with the mid bunk Sanibel 38qb. This gave us a room for the kids but allowed us to keep a larger living area in the rear. We looked at the Montana 340bh which has an extra couch in the living area but the bunk house in the back with the outside kitchen. We didn't want the outside kitchen but some people love them. The crusade line has a few bunk houses too. I just bought ours so I don't have a lot to go on but we like it so far. Prime time has been great when I called with questions, they got back to me within a day. I would also look at axle spacing and tires on the unit you buy, some of the OEM tires have bad reviews. Good luck.

Prime Time Sanibel Traveler 38QB
2015 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
crooks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

We're in a Sanpiper Rebh 371. Suits us fine.
Mikele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:39 PM   #7

This is what I do when my we go 5er shopping. I go tow planner and figure out the what weights fall within my manufacture specs. I know for a fact that we carry around 1500 lbs so I figure that in to the weight. When I hit he dealership I know what dry weights will work and which ones won't work. On the way into the 5er I check dry weight and my first comment to my wife is this one will work or this one requires a truck upgrade. What this does is the wife knows up front what it will take to if she falls in love the 5er and can't live without it.

http://towingplanner.com/
Sold 2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
Sold - 2015 Crusader 315RST 5th Wheel -
2015 Ford F350 SRW Cargo Capacity 3744
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote