Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Recommendations for trip planning tool

We have a CC 38RD which is 40+ feet long and 13-6 high. Overhead obstructions and narrow roads are a concern when planning trips. Any recommendations for iPhone friendly tools that include these considerations? Thanks.
Rollingdunder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

I've been hunting a lot for tools like this. Just about everything I've found has pointed me towards trucker specific GPS units that allow me to specify height.

I've been doing my planning via state resources, a truckers atlas, and google Maps.

If anyone knows of a good iPhone/iPad app I'm all ears. Most everything I found wasn't route planning.
barron.barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:04 PM   #3

Carpenters say "Measure twice, then cut once". Double checking all routes is worth the extra time when you have a large rig.

Don't ask me how I know.

And do practice a few hours of backing up in wide open lots - before you find a situation where you have no choice.

Again, no questions please.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #4
Always Learning

Right now, the closest that you're going to get is Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!, but it's a paid site and fugly. Supposedly a facelift and technology refresh are coming, though.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #5

I use good Sam for trip planning. It's a pretty good program and really lets you plan and change your trip. Oh and it free!

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #6

Ok, I use Allstays Camping and RV and Allstays Truck App. These apps, can find in the App Store (apple or Android) are $9.99 each but are the best apps I use for helping plan a trip. I'm sure others will agree. Best $20 I've spent. Look at the reviews for Allstays.... They speak for themselves

I also use RV Trip Wizard. It is also a paid app but you put in your RV specs and it helps you plan your trip and bypass the or warns of clearance. It uses google maps to map,out your route. It is also a paid program. Rvtripwizard.com. It takes a little getting used to but it is a very useful tool.
Good Sam has a routing tool, kinda clunky too and you have to be a member, of course. The apps above are one time pay...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Right now, the closest that you're going to get is Home of the Best RV Trip Planner Ever - Give it a try!, but it's a paid site and fugly. Supposedly a facelift and technology refresh are coming, though.
X2, Rvtripwizard.com and not that ugly once you zoom in and use sat mode, especially to check out campsites and truck stops..
I use this all the time along with Allstays....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

I use Rand McNally RV GPS; my unit has life time maps and the model number is 7710. We have been out east and west with this unit since we have owned it with no issues what's so every. You enter your RV data such as height of the unit, number of propane tanks, weight, total length of TV and trailer and so forth. It will than route you so you do not have any issues when towing a trailer.

You can also switch between the RV and a car which will be routed differently if not towing. You can also map out your trip with POI and load this on the unit. The unit will also keep track of fuel and miles driven plus your altitude and speed.

We also use paper maps along with the NEXIT EXIT and a RV'ERS Friend. These are used to find diesel fueling stations when pulling our trailer and truck stops that we can fit in.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
Who Dares, Wins

We've used an online Web page called furkot. Weird name but worked well and it's free. Let me plan fuel stops and milage driven per day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #10

I also use a Rand Mcnally GPS 5" for all of its applications including wireless camera function for our TT
Nelsflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:37 PM   #11

If don't have a GPS would check into Rand/McNally Rv/TT GPS I think they give all info you would need.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 03:38 PM   #12

All GPS sellers use the same Government provided data. It's what they do with that data and how they display it that makes them different. Here's my three cents worth:
1. Buy a Rand McNally, Garmin or TomTom that specifically states it's for RVs. This will give you a relatively safe idea of low clearance, narrow roads, propane limits, etc. and has a built in (sometimes adjustable) compensation for the slower RV average speed.
2. I recommend always using two GPS units. You'll often find one or the other will give you different or even erroneous data. A trucker I knew said that two things were necessary for traveling: a GPS and a good 'ol paper map! Most truck stops sell "Motor Carrier's Road Atlas" which gives an excellent view of the national highway system. In addition, some of the many computer apps make planning/traveling that much better.
3. Be sure to buy a GPS that is labeled LMT which means "Lifetime Maps and Traffic" This allows for free updates of the maps for the life of the unit and free updates of traffic reporting. You'll pay more for LMT, but it's worth it.
Enjoy.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #13

I found myself using my AllStays RV Camping APP daily, more than anything else on my recent month long trip.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

I use the Rand Mcnally rv gps (I can set height and length). I then also use the Good Sam RV club trip planner. Then if I am not travelling on highways I go to Google Earth and using the overhead view I look for road crossings that may have a bridge. I then go to street level and "drive" down the road right before the bridge and look at the height sign for the bridge. I use all these because I once had to unhook my toad to be able to turn around (when I had a class A).
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #15

Following thread
Sheldon211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim34RL View Post
I use Rand McNally RV GPS; my unit has life time maps and the model number is 7710. We have been out east and west with this unit since we have owned it with no issues what's so every. You enter your RV data such as height of the unit, number of propane tanks, weight, total length of TV and trailer and so forth. It will than route you so you do not have any issues when towing a trailer.

You can also switch between the RV and a car which will be routed differently if not towing. You can also map out your trip with POI and load this on the unit. The unit will also keep track of fuel and miles driven plus your altitude and speed.

We also use paper maps along with the NEXIT EXIT and a RV'ERS Friend. These are used to find diesel fueling stations when pulling our trailer and truck stops that we can fit in.
How does a GPS help with trip planning?
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #17

We also have a book for truckers that lists all (or almost all) the bridges that are in the USA and Canada that are posted less than 13' 6" and what their actual height is.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:28 AM   #18

Allstay app probably best bet.....since never know when may have to detour enroute...

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
X2, Rvtripwizard.com and not that ugly once you zoom in and use sat mode, especially to check out campsites and truck stops..
I use this all the time along with Allstays....
X2 RVTripWizard is a very good trip planner. I think was Doug was getting at is, if you have a lot of waypoints pinned (like I do for our Alaska trip) it can be painful waiting for the map to refresh - there is supposed to be a fix in the works for that in the next couple of months.

HOWEVER, I think the OP is more worried about real-time trip planning. For this, the iPhone has nothing really (other than accesing RVTrip Wizard)

What the OP needs is a RV-specific GPS for their rig. The 2 best out there are Garmin RV760 (which I own) and the Rand McNally unit sold by Good Sam. I believe they are very similar in that they accept inpyut on your rig (height, weight, length, width) and then will actively route you around low bridges, weight restricted roadways, switchback roads or other narrow byways.

IMHO, investing in one of these GPS units is one of the best decisions I made!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
X2 RVTripWizard is a very good trip planner. I think was Doug was getting at is, if you have a lot of waypoints pinned (like I do for our Alaska trip) it can be painful waiting for the map to refresh - there is supposed to be a fix in the works for that in the next couple of months.

HOWEVER, I think the OP is more worried about real-time trip planning. For this, the iPhone has nothing really (other than accesing RVTrip Wizard)

What the OP needs is a RV-specific GPS for their rig. The 2 best out there are Garmin RV760 (which I own) and the Rand McNally unit sold by Good Sam. I believe they are very similar in that they accept inpyut on your rig (height, weight, length, width) and then will actively route you around low bridges, weight restricted roadways, switchback roads or other narrow byways.

IMHO, investing in one of these GPS units is one of the best decisions I made!

X2. We always use a good ole paper map too

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote