Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

deppitydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #12
1000 Trails have been great for us. Passport and good Sam are also good stuff

golfingsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Georgia Frog Rally 2017
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
Not so much about someone doing the work, it is about getting the best value with the widest selection of quality CGs
Been camping over 40 years and never paid out of site prices. Got my trusty GS travel guide read and make reservation no fuss no muss and it's all free. Why should I pay to do what I can do just as well. I'm retired so you can bet I'll save a buck anytime I can Later RJD
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60
Days camped in 2016 so far 51
aceinspp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #14
Koa Erie Pa so far. September members get one night free stay sept 18 and get the 19th free.
Great place

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #15
I think what aceinspp is trying to say, is IF you have a smartphone, and internet access and you are capable of searching for a state or Fed run campground you should have no trouble finding one. The only exception to this is camping south of northern FL in the winter, or north of Ohio in the summer, where even commercial campgrounds fill up.

I have never stayed in a commercial campground because of the cost difference between gov't run campgrounds and for profit... just have to plan anywhere from 11 months for state-run southern campgrounds (or MI or WI campgrounds in the summer) and 6 months for FED run campgrounds. That is the furthest out that you can reserve. has that information

Even out west in the summer, the big parks get filled, but you can almost always find a no-services Fed Forest Service campground site on the day that you arrive, if you are not arriving too awful late. I have had to camp alongside a deserted state route road more than once in Utah one summer, before I learned this lesson.

Now if you want swimming pools and dog walk areas, certainly I would look to the membership places for those amenities.

Certainly have fun on this planned trip!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 SLT Crew Cab HEMI 3.21 8 Spd 4X4
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #16
I have Good Sam and KOA. Planning my 3-4 month cross country trip next spring. Keep in mind that you can overnight in a lot of Walmart parking lots....can save quite a few bucks doing that if in transit from one place to another. A couple of friends did that and saved quite a lot.
Ford F-150 4X4
2015 Flagstaff Micro Lite FRBS
2013 Flagstaff "A" Frame - Traded Up.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
We've had Thousand Trails/NACO for ten years. We like it but much less so than when we got it. Here on the west coast they have been leasing out more and more sites so there are fewer to choose from. Frequently there are problems with the electrical hookups or water systems. We still do most of our camping in their parks and always have gotten a site but frequently don't get what we want due to sites being closed or leased. If I were getting a membership now I would look for a resale online. Sometimes members give them away or sell them cheap. With my membership there is a $1000 transfer fee.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #18
Another vote for Passport of America & Good SAMs. You can find the options you may want as well as getting discounts.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #19
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
We are nearing our launch for our 4 month around the country travel....West to East to North to the Keys to points between returning back West.

What camping memberships would you recommend to either consider and why and/or which ones would you suggest we avoid an why. I have read (I think) what I could find on the thing I think I understood is things change...sometimes rapidly with the memberships, and we are looking for the most current thoughts. As always, we greatly appreciate your thoughts, guidance and insights.
I use Passport America over Good Sam's I have both but prefer Passport all CG's are 50 per cent off. Went to CA and back to NW ARKANSAS more than paid for the membership.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #20
I have found that Passport America seems to always have the days I want to stay blacked out lot of campgrounds let you use it in there off season but would probably pay for itself anyway I joined Coast toCoast back in 2004 at a FMCA rally in Florida my cost is very low and there is always a campground near by cc are 10$ a night Encore cost 15$ Good Neighbors are 15$ a night also Good SAMs will give 10% off

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

i2015 sunseeker 3050s. 2007 saturn aura
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote