Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2015, 09:52 PM   #1

Recommendations on Camp Ground Memberships

We are nearing our launch for our 4 month around the country travel....West to East to North to the Keys to points between returning back West.

What camping memberships would you recommend to either consider and why and/or which ones would you suggest we avoid an why. I have read (I think) what I could find on the Forum....one thing I think I understood is things change...sometimes rapidly with the memberships, and we are looking for the most current thoughts. As always, we greatly appreciate your thoughts, guidance and insights.
Beach Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 PM   #2

I would think it depends on what kind of camping you are planning to do and what you are driving or towing.
dmac1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:01 AM   #3
Weekender

Passport America is a pretty good buy. We have had it for about 10 years and always seem to get our moneys worth. Consider Encore parks in the areas that are unfamiliar to you. Not always the best, but we've been pretty lucky with most of them. Usually limited to 3 days at the discounted rate, but that should be long enough for one to decide if they would like to stay long term. BTW there are about 3 campgrounds in the Keys that are Passport members. One thing to be aware of is that most Florida CG's don't accept any discounts other than Good Sam during the winter months.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:06 AM   #4

Your age matters, too
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Don't believe in memberships. If I need CG I find them. Don't need to pay someone to do my work. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:44 AM   #6

2016 FRF 2401W MBS in our 50's but curious related to campground memberships. We get along with young and old alike
Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceinspp View Post
Don't believe in memberships. If I need CG I find them. Don't need to pay someone to do my work. Later RJD
Not so much about someone doing the work, it is about getting the best value with the widest selection of quality CGs
Old 08-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #8
Weekender

That's what Passport America is for....50% discount! I think that 'aceinspp' may be a little confused about timeshare type memberships. Not the same. PA costs about $80 a year and just one three day visit at most contracted campgrounds will pay for that. From then on you are saving money.
I think that there is also another similar group called 'CampAmerica'. Again, 50% discount.
The thinking behind these groups is that a CG would prefer to have someone on the site for even half of what they would normally charge rather than have the sites empty.
Ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:59 AM   #9

We have and keep KOA and Good Sam: we've found they are convenient to most major Interstates, they are clean, most have sites long enough for our 40' trailer and most have 50 amp service. We've traveled East to West coast Pacific Ocean and North to South all the way to the Keys. My advice to you, if your going interstate join KOA or Good Sam. If you stay often enough, and we do, you get free nights at any KOA. We have access to memberships to Coast to Coast, North American Camping, Resorts of Distinction, Adventure Outdoor Resorts thru our parent resort Travel Resorts of America (an expensive expenditure we wish we hadn't done). We had to pay for each membership independently. Most these resorts are not on major interstate and require reservations in advance to take advantage of the discount prices. Plus not all the camps listed can accommodate our rig. Check KOA and Good Sam to see their discount for members, if this is a onetime trip it may not be worth the membership fee. Anyone can use a KOA or Good Sam. One of the biggest reasons we like KOA - most have enclosed Dog Parks and any one we've stayed in enforces the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:24 AM   #10

campgrounds

We have been on the road for 15 years. We always use Passport America when traveling.
We also.have been members of Thousand Trails for 18 years and consider it the best value in the campground market. These are.campgrounds that we stay at for a week or more at a time
Hounddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 AM   #11

Following
deppitydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #12

1000 Trails have been great for us. Passport and good Sam are also good stuff
golfingsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
Not so much about someone doing the work, it is about getting the best value with the widest selection of quality CGs
Been camping over 40 years and never paid out of site prices. Got my trusty GS travel guide read and make reservation no fuss no muss and it's all free. Why should I pay to do what I can do just as well. I'm retired so you can bet I'll save a buck anytime I can Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #14

Koa Erie Pa so far. September members get one night free stay sept 18 and get the 19th free.
Great place

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #15

I think what aceinspp is trying to say, is IF you have a smartphone, and internet access and you are capable of searching for a state or Fed run campground you should have no trouble finding one. The only exception to this is camping south of northern FL in the winter, or north of Ohio in the summer, where even commercial campgrounds fill up.

I have never stayed in a commercial campground because of the cost difference between gov't run campgrounds and for profit... just have to plan anywhere from 11 months for state-run southern campgrounds (or MI or WI campgrounds in the summer) and 6 months for FED run campgrounds. That is the furthest out that you can reserve. Reserveamerica.com has that information

Even out west in the summer, the big parks get filled, but you can almost always find a no-services Fed Forest Service campground site on the day that you arrive, if you are not arriving too awful late. I have had to camp alongside a deserted state route road more than once in Utah one summer, before I learned this lesson.

Now if you want swimming pools and dog walk areas, certainly I would look to the membership places for those amenities.

Certainly have fun on this planned trip!

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:02 PM   #16

I have Good Sam and KOA. Planning my 3-4 month cross country trip next spring. Keep in mind that you can overnight in a lot of Walmart parking lots....can save quite a few bucks doing that if in transit from one place to another. A couple of friends did that and saved quite a lot.
Camping Days 2013 - 24
Camping Days 2014 - 21
Projected Camping Days 2015 - 30
Loneeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:06 PM   #17

We've had Thousand Trails/NACO for ten years. We like it but much less so than when we got it. Here on the west coast they have been leasing out more and more sites so there are fewer to choose from. Frequently there are problems with the electrical hookups or water systems. We still do most of our camping in their parks and always have gotten a site but frequently don't get what we want due to sites being closed or leased. If I were getting a membership now I would look for a resale online. Sometimes members give them away or sell them cheap. With my membership there is a $1000 transfer fee.
spudston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #18

Another vote for Passport of America & Good SAMs. You can find the options you may want as well as getting discounts.
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
We are nearing our launch for our 4 month around the country travel....West to East to North to the Keys to points between returning back West.

What camping memberships would you recommend to either consider and why and/or which ones would you suggest we avoid an why. I have read (I think) what I could find on the Forum....one thing I think I understood is things change...sometimes rapidly with the memberships, and we are looking for the most current thoughts. As always, we greatly appreciate your thoughts, guidance and insights.
I use Passport America over Good Sam's I have both but prefer Passport all CG's are 50 per cent off. Went to CA and back to NW ARKANSAS more than paid for the membership.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #20

I have found that Passport America seems to always have the days I want to stay blacked out lot of campgrounds let you use it in there off season but would probably pay for itself anyway I joined Coast toCoast back in 2004 at a FMCA rally in Florida my cost is very low and there is always a campground near by cc are 10$ a night Encore cost 15$ Good Neighbors are 15$ a night also Good SAMs will give 10% off

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums