Old 05-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

Recreation.gov / Reserve America

Am I the only one or has anyone else noticed discrepancies on these sites? I'll make a reservation based on availability at a location and upon arriving I find numerous sites open although the reservation site shows them booked. I understand people's plans change and have to cancel but I'm talking numerous empty spots for multiple days. Not a big deal when I have a spot, but may have preferred a different one. Also folks wanting to make a reservation but see "booked" and go elsewhere.

Really makes me question the how well the sites are maintained...

gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:06 PM   #2

A lot off the campground only can get reservation on so many sites, and the rest are first come first serve.

Old 05-13-2018, 12:15 PM   #3

I'm not talking about walk-up, these are reservation only this time of year.
gpaw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

I find after the "Mad Dash" after Jan 1 the Week ends are OUT unless someone cancels and you have a Very hard time finding out if they cancel! Poor system but its thier system! Youroo!!
Old 05-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #5

I don't think it's a matter of maintenance.

Once you make a reservation, it's up to you to cancel the site. Once the site is paid for, there is no incentive for them to re-rent the site. Since some of these sites cost under $10 a night and cost more to cancel than the just paying the fee, the incentive to cancel the reservation isn't there.

Now sometimes they will call to see if you're still going to use the site, but that requires a camp host with the time to do that. I've had COE hosts call to see if I was going to use the site when we were running a day late. They would have cancelled the res. and let someone else have the site, but you had to call to get the site.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:53 PM   #6

My guess is many times people will reserve a site early to grab it while their planned arrival date is a day later. In other cases, people reserve knowing they really want the site days later. They wait and then cancel their unwanted days at the last minute. It is the ďall about meĒ culture we live in. I wonder how many people have success just showing up at the campground last minute and get these cancelled reservation sites for a few days?
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:11 PM   #7

I think it may be a weekend cancellation problem too. Last month we had a Sunday night reservation at a Utah state park. Earlier that day we decided we wanted to drive long longer so I stopped to cancel the site. I learned I would need to wait until Monday to cancel. So the site sat reserved but unoccupied.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #8

You must make a reservation at least 4 days in advance. If you are in that 4 day window, sites are not available for online reservations.
gilly9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:34 PM   #9

Use Reserve America all the time. Always see empty spaces when the park shows full. I have changed reservations and it takes a day to show back up on their site as available. I think the game is that you need to keep checking as time goes on so if anyone changes anything you have a shot at it. I don't do that, but I think that's the way it works.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #10

If you specify length, the site narrows your choices. Never had a problem and actually enjoy using the website

sailtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote