Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

Reducing to one propane tank

Anybody done this to reduce hitch weight? I didn't realize it is 52lbs per tank. My tacoma is good for 650lbs at the tongue. Trailer dry weight is 416lbs at the hitch. Maybe I am over analyzing it.
Tntrac
tntrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
H2oski

What's your loaded tounge weight? (Ready to go camping) Does removing one tank get your tounge weight below the 650lbs? Need more weight info on truck, trailer to give good advise. You may be able to adjust your loading (heavy things in the rear, no fresh water) and then you may no have to remove the tank. Good Luck
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
What's your loaded tounge weight? (Ready to go camping) Does removing one tank get your tounge weight below the 650lbs? Need more weight info on truck, trailer to give good advise. You may be able to adjust your loading (heavy things in the rear, no fresh water) and then you may no have to remove the tank. Good Luck

The trailer is a 2006 Thor 22RB. Below are the advertised numbers

GVWR 5800
UVW 3926
Hitch 416
Length 22'2" (bumper to tongue)

The tacoma 2012 V6 tow package :

Tow limit 6400
hitch load max 640
GCWR 11100
payload 1430
wheelbase 127.4

I don't know my camping load tongue weight, but to make a guess, its probably 600 lbs. We pack very light without water (just a few gallons for drinking), some food, chairs, bbq grill, clothes . We have 3 members in the family adding up to 345lbs. I pulled 100 miles on last trip and it felt very stable with WDH (had sway but didn't hook up yet). Just thinking about the propane reduction since I was refilling it tonight.

I had a 15 ft trailer before this and got greedy and upgraded. I will get a new tundra next summer but for now we just camp locally within 200 miles range.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like a trip to the weight scales is in your future.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ali-23282.html

Lots of good information in here.

Just remember to get a valid tongue weight, your weight distribution bars must be removed and in the bed of the truck when you do the "connected" weighting.

For a travel trailer you will need 3 passes over the scale to glean all the numbers you will need to check..

Truck alone
Truck with camper
Truck with camper AND WD bars installed.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Sounds like a trip to the weight scales is in your future.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ali-23282.html

Lots of good information in here.

Just remember to get a valid tongue weight, your weight distribution bars must be removed and in the bed of the truck when you do the "connected" weighting.

For a travel trailer you will need 3 passes over the scale to glean all the numbers you will need to check..

Truck alone
Truck with camper
Truck with camper AND WD bars installed.

Thank you sir!