Old 05-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #21

How would I know that the installed wedge has moved??

Old 05-21-2015, 09:13 PM   #22

For ME, when it was installed, I went over it with the tech that was doing the installation.
My wedge is about 3/8" behind the pin. I checked/asked just because I had read how it might move so I wanted to know if it did.
Have pulled it about 400 miles so far, hasn't moved at all.

markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 05:23 AM   #23
Mod free 5er

MartyQ, by looking.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I had a weird thing happen today leaving for the Hoedown in Blyth Ontario. Left home and at the first turn it looked like the wedge had moved, went back home to check. Unhindered a pushed t
It forward. After the usual trial and error I ended exactly were I started it did not move and was tight. I continued on our trip. I noted when making a right turn it seems to grab at some point then just turn. Going to record the action on the return trip home. I have no logical explanation, maybe Reese visit at Goshen to have a look.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
I can say I never heard of that problem Reese should be in Goshen. They will pull it apart and clean it up also. Might be the two guy's that designed it. That's who worked on mine and OC'S a couple of years ago. There both great to talk to about the design, very nice people. If you need a castle nut socket I have one and will be there. They didn't bring tools with them last time.....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 03:53 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I can say I never heard of that problem Reese should be in Goshen. They will pull it apart and clean it up also. Might be the two guy's that designed it. That's who worked on mine and OC'S a couple of years ago. There both great to talk to about the design, very nice people. If you need a castle nut socket I have one and will be there. They didn't bring tools with them last time.....
They had the socket, but had forgotten the torque wrench, they borrowed mine for a day. Fantastic men.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, the reason is the bolts & lock washers are over 2 slots on the stock wedge and the wedge moves due to the fact that the lock washers are not capable of holding the bolts due to the slots. I made a custom wedge and drilled holes 3 years ago and torqued the bolts and they have not loosened. IMO, if you want to use the stock wedge, you must tighten the wedge and at least one bolt, then measure in front and back of the other bolt and cut and weld a pc in front and back of the bolt the same thickness of the recessed slot. Then install and tighten this bolt and repeat the process for the remaining bolt. Then you can torque the bolts and the lock washers will do the job.
May I make a suggestion. Throw away the lockwashers this is old technology and no longer used in the industry for manufacturing heavy equipment. I would buy grade 8 plated oversize washer, for the correct size boot. These can be purchased at a local truck repaire falicatite. The large washers will support the bolt load and torque over the bolt slots. You will be able to torque the bolts and maintain the bolt torque without any loosening.

The reason for not using lockwasher is the split washer will raise a spur and provide a false torque and cannot be repeated do to the burr under the lock washer. Heavy industry went away from lock washers in the early 70's do to false bolt torques and lockwasher breaking under heavy torque.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #27
Mod free 5er

Jim34RL, I agree the gr8 washers will help maintain the torque, but the problem is the wedge will still slip under the washers. The slots need to be eliminated by some method. You cannot increase torque by using gr 8 bolts as the threaded portion of the pin box will not hold the additional torque of a gr8 bolt. You might be able to tack weld the washers to the wedge, but that is doubtful with the washers being hardened.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #28

The front bolt always is off torque spec when checked. I am ordering a custom wedge next week. I have not had problems in past but with a long 3 week trip and many kilometres I am leary of success this summer.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #29

X2 with OC
Had a real problem with the universal wedge that the dealer in Orlando installed. By the time we got to Fort Pierce the wedge had slipped back. After having to have it re torqued twice more I took the wedge off and locked the revolution down with the suppled nuts and bolts. When we got home I made a wedge out of wood, took it to a machine shop and had the wood one duplicated out of steel. Two holes in it filled with the bolts and torqued to 150 ft pounds. More than a year later still holding torque, checked before each trip along with the wheels.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
MartyQ, by looking.
Don't understand how you tell if the wedge is positioned correctly by looking. By physically looking at the wedge installation? Maybe you or someone has photos?

Thought you could only tell by test. When you make a turn you have to ensure the turret is doing all the turning while the Revolution/Sidewinder is staying in the stationary position due to the wedge.

Maybe you or someone can clarify.