Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 07:10 PM   #21
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As long as you have some up and down adjustment in your hitch mount, I imagine you could mate to a Revolution style pin box without problems.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:06 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
...I'm also wondering if it's worth getting the custom-fit wedge, instead of using the generic one. (I have a Reese Titan 16K hitch)

P.P.S. I keep a large torque wrench (rated to 250lb/ft) under the back seat of my truck, so I can always check and re-torque both the bolts on the revolution, and the bolts on the hitch frame. I visually inspect every trip, but only check torque every couple of trips.
The generic (furnished) wedge has 3 things wrong with it IMO:
1. It is circular shaped which makes it want to move.
2. It has slots which cannot be locked into position. You cannot use a lock washer on a slot without using flat washers that are serrated on both sides
3. It is fabricated out of plates tack welded together which have a rough finish and will wear off when put in service.

I don't think even the custom wedges sold are good unless you fill the slots (front of and behind bolts) with the appropriate thickness of steel to prevent movement of the wedge. JMO

I made mine out of a solid 1" thick plate that fits the tunnel of the hitch and has holes instead of slots and replaced the Gr 5 bolts with Gr 8.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:12 PM   #23
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
When I get back home to the desk-top, need a bigger screen, l'll check this stuff out further
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think even the custom wedges sold are good unless you fill the slots (front of and behind bolts) with the appropriate thickness of steel to prevent movement of the wedge. JMO

I made mine out of a solid 1" thick plate that fits the tunnel of the hitch and has holes instead of slots and replaced the Gr 5 bolts with Gr 8.
Unfortunately I don't have facilities/tools for fabricating much, so I think I'll just go ahead and order the custom wedge, since it at least seems better than the generic one.

I do agree that it's strange that they still have slots (should be possible to make an exact fit since they make the sidewinder/revolution, and my hitch, and the custom wedge), and that they're made from layered plate rather than a single piece, but any improvement is still better than none.

... unless of course you want to make one for me

Seriously tho', I think I'll order one tomorrow.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Unfortunately I don't have facilities/tools for fabricating much, so I think I'll just go ahead and order the custom wedge, since it at least seems better than the generic one.

I do agree that it's strange that they still have slots (should be possible to make an exact fit since they make the sidewinder/revolution, and my hitch, and the custom wedge), and that they're made from layered plate rather than a single piece, but any improvement is still better than none.

... unless of course you want to make one for me

Seriously tho', I think I'll order one tomorrow.
If it is fabricated with plates welded together, I would grind the sides just enough to smooth them out, fit them up to the hitch and measure the distance from the front of the bolt shank to the front of the slots and get a pc of steel and fill the void at least in front of the bolt shanks. If nothing else, find a 3/4" bolt (cut the head off) with enough length to fill the void and grind down a flat spot to fit under the lockwasher so it is on steel rather than over nothing but air. The ends of a lockwasher must contact steel. If this is not feasible, at least go to a bolt distributor and buy a serrated flat washer with serrations on both sides OR a serrated lockwasher to fit under the 5/8" bolt heads. The pictures are of a special Gr 8 lockwasher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01772.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	93937   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01773.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	93938  
Old 11-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My new Reese specific wedge for my Reese hitch works much better. The actual adjustment slots are only 1 1/4 max. They dont have as much play as the universal wedge. It fits much better and works well. I did get a new pin box at Goshen and they installed the wedge with a jig to factory spec. Seems my method was pretty close.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:26 AM   #27

Well I thought I would let everyone know, just got off the phone with Cequent. They are sending me a new pin box. They said that should never have happened and that they think because I could not move it by hand that it broke the nut loose. They also said I was lucky because of the danger. Really are they kidding? Well anyway they said something is binded to break the nut off. I don't know how it happened, but thanks to OC getting it back on. My new pin box is on the way. They also said that I should put a dry grease on the shaft, which there engineer told me not to do. A word of caution to everyone. Don't know what to believe anymore, but they are taking care of it.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 AM   #28
Left Coast

Good deal.....now you get to make another trip south, to Florida !
Old 11-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #29
Left Coast

What are you gonn'a do with the old pin-box?
Old 11-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What are you gonn'a do with the old pin-box?
Do you want it? I don't know yet if they want it shipped back, if not I'll sell it cheap to you. Just pay transport fee's, can give it to you at the rally in May. Unless you want it shipped? If so then we can see if I can do it...

Old 11-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #31
Left Coast

I'm into salvaged parts!! If they don't want it back and it can be loosned up , the rally would be OK. When I get back home and on desk top, I need to check the whole hitch deal out....pin-box and bed unit.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:25 PM   #32

Quote:
I'm into salvaged parts!! If they don't want it back and it can be loosned up , the rally would be OK. When I get back home and on desk top, I need to check the whole hitch deal out....pin-box and bed unit.
Well let me know before Dec 1st, That's when I go in and get the hitch put in my new to me 2007 Ford truck and my new hyd. landing leg installed. Resse is shipping today to the RV Service shop. This is not a FR dealer, they build RV's from the ground up. I won't go to a dealer unless I'm traveling.....

Old 11-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #33
Left Coast

Will do
Old 11-09-2015, 12:33 PM   #34
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Bob, Glenn and I both talked to the 2 engineers that designed the Revolution pin box and they both emphatically told us to clean the pivot in the back, but DO NOT LUBE IT. They both said it should not be loose and be able to turn by hand. I'll take the word of the engineers over whomever told Glenn it should be movable.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:40 PM   #35
Left Coast

That's what I thought . I've been following this saga for awhile.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Bob, Glenn and I both talked to the 2 engineers that designed the Revolution pin box and they both emphatically told us to clean the pivot in the back, but DO NOT LUBE IT. They both said it should not be loose and be able to turn by hand. I'll take the word of the engineers over whomever told Glenn it should be movable.
X's 2 what OC EAST said, I was told by the design engineers the same thing in Goshen. It's harder to hook-up when it's to loose. You do realize that this is rated for 10,000 lbs. and also has a 10" only box that it connects into? You beat OCE to it, he normally gets all my old parts. But he is not going to Mayberry NC....

Old 11-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #37
Left Coast

Not heavy enough.....OCE. wins!
Old 11-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #38
Left Coast

Load'n up, leav'n for home.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Not heavy enough.....OCE. wins!
Okay, OCE do you want it or not? Might be parts for your collection, let me know, This time you can come to my house to pick it up. Just ASK Frankie to either cook or bring some frozen beans, you know how I love them beans and her, you I can take or give away.....

Old 11-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #40
Left Coast

Any of you know where there's an alum. or steel flatbed that'll fit on a '99 Ram 2500, for a reasonable price?