Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Ok, gett'n a better idea of the lash-up. The slots just let you take up play, but because of the slots and empty spaces of these slots that the bolts don't take up, is where the problems stem from...so once the wedge is installed, the left over slot needs to be filled with weld, or a stud like OC suggested. Still wondering why Glenn had a problem
I'm not sure I'm positvie that I checked the torque. OC thinks it fell out after it was installed by the dealer. But I think the welds rusted as shown in the picture. When I came home from Goshen I hit that pot hole that broke my whole island over and broke all the screws holding it down. That could have broke the nut loose. Now I have cleaned mu truck bed atleast 50 x's and never saw that bolt laying in the bed. Rain water will get in that pin box there are 4 1/2 " holes above that area. Something rusted them. Did I check them all the time no just as the video said 150 lbs one time. They only tack in two places and there is a lot of stress put on them. I also could not move that box by hand at all, the truck had to do it. I like it being a little tighter then it come's with so much play easier to hook-up. So really I do not know, OC has a point as mentioned earlier that it was never set right. He's the smartest man that I know, that can work on anything, so your guess is as good as mine. If anyone says they check the torque before every trip I'll sell you a BRIDGE.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #62
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
In the morn, I'll stop by the dealer here and get up and personal with one...
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #63
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
... But I think the welds rusted as shown in the picture. They only tack in two places and there is a lot of stress put on them...
Glenn, the rust happened after the nuts broke loose. It is common manufacturing practice to tack weld nuts to hold them until they are torqued. If the bolt is not torqued and comes loose, (which is what happened when your dealer didn't torque them) if you start pounding the bolt sideways, it will break the tack welded nuts loose which is what happened in your case. It is not a design flaw, it is dealer incompetence.

BTW, the weld itself can't rust where yours was until it is broken.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #64
Left Coast

So his trailer didn't come with that pin-box from factory? Wouldn't the only thing the dealer would do it set the wedge? Try'n to visualize where that bolt/nut came from
Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 PM   #65
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So his trailer didn't come with that pin-box from factory? Wouldn't the only thing the dealer would do it set the wedge? Try'n to visualize where that bolt/nut came from
It came from the factory with the Revolution. the dealer set the wedge and took out the lock bolts in the rear. When the dealer installed the custom wedge, he didn't torque the bolts in the wedge to the specified 150 lb/ft.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:54 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Glenn, the rust happened after the nuts broke loose. It is common manufacturing practice to tack weld nuts to hold them until they are torqued. If the bolt is not torqued and comes loose, (which is what happened when your dealer didn't torque them) if you start pounding the bolt sideways, it will break the tack welded nuts loose which is what happened in your case. It is not a design flaw, it is dealer incompetence.

BTW, the weld itself can't rust where yours was until it is broken.
OC I think you might be right, I'm the first to admit that. I'll take your scenario over anybody's. Something happened that never should have. It's a great pin box I couldn't be without it even with my Husky slider. That helped us once we broke it loose after 4 years of non use. I learned a lesson. I will try it now and then just to keep it loose. I think it is the best thing since P&J and for Bob POOP SALAD. Do you think that pin weights 150 lbs.? How would one person walk it off as they suggested yearly to do maintenance? Maybe that big BULL Youroo could do it but not me. Your the Man OCE and OCW is trying to catch up..... and he just sit there and FOUL..

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #67
Left Coast

Just explore'n all avenues, sonny..
Old 11-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #68

Quote:
It's all about the 'trike'.....went with slider, which helped turns, but because this truck has an 8' box and the pin sits directly over rear end, I'm only using about 1/3 of it's ability. So that equals about 8"..... If I went with the Rev I'd pick-up alot. To give myself a little more room on turns, I can lower the platform the trike sits on on the pass. side of bed as that's the wide end.. I've also removed wheel and fender for more turning......state parks are the poops here.
If you have an 8ft truck bed, why do you need any slider or a revolution/sidewinder ?
Shouldn't you be able to turn fully with plenty of clearance between the corner/side of the trailer and the back of the cab ?

I only needed to unlock the revolution because of my 6'9" bed.
With the 22" offset of the revolution, I have over 9" clearance, so with an extra 15" of bed-length, I'd still have 2" clearance I guess (since (15+9)-22 = 2).
Ok ... I guess that's not a LOT, and it is assuming a similar king-ping relative to the front of the camper, and a similar camper width.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #69

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Do you want it? I don't know yet if they want it shipped back, if not I'll sell it cheap to you. Just pay transport fee's, can give it to you at the rally in May. Unless you want it shipped? If so then we can see if I can do it...
It wont fit OCW it is too narrow, will need a spacer fabbed at OCE shop maybe..
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #70

Quote:
I'm into salvaged parts!! If they don't want it back and it can be loosned up , the rally would be OK. When I get back home and on desk top, I need to check the whole hitch deal out....pin-box and bed unit.
I tore mine down prior to getting a replacement. I also lubbed the shaft with lithium grease. The new pin box has grease on it. The 16k Revolution i saw on the new Rockwood was smooth as silk.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #71
Left Coast

Across the top of bed rails, from cab back about 43" is a platform to haul trike.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #72
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
It wont fit OCW it is too narrow, will need a spacer fabbed at OCE shop maybe..
He'd charge ME to much!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #73

Quote:
It's all about the 'trike'.....went with slider, which helped turns, but because this truck has an 8' box and the pin sits directly over rear end, I'm only using about 1/3 of it's ability. So that equals about 8"..... If I went with the Rev I'd pick-up alot. To give myself a little more room on turns, I can lower the platform the trike sits on on the pass. side of bed as that's the wide end.. I've also removed wheel and fender for more turning......state parks are the poops here.
Its a ram just move the hitch back a foot then you are good. The goats will not know you even did that...
Old 11-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #74
Mod free 5er

Quote:
... OCW is trying to catch up..... and he just sits there and FOUL..
What can you expect from a left coaster?????

BTW, remember the size of the one engineer that worked on our Revolutions in Goshen 2 yrs ago. Had to beat 275+.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:18 PM   #75

He is having some discount Salmon for dinner to increase his pun power from Sals Salmonella Free Salmon House!!!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:20 PM   #76
Left Coast

Quote:
Its a ram just move the hitch back a foot then you are good. The goats will not know you even did that...
It does have that provision....steer'n might be touch and go!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #77
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I tore mine down prior to getting a replacement. I also lubbed the shaft with lithium grease. The new pin box has grease on it. The 16k Revolution i saw on the new Rockwood was smooth as silk.
You might be right, but that's not according to what we were told by the 2 engineers that designed it. I don't want mine to swivel that easily. Makes it harder to hook up if you are just slightly off.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #78
Left Coast

Halibuttttttttt!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #79

Yes in batter and fried nice and crispy!! Good any day even on Friday!!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You might be right, but that's not according to what we were told by the 2 engineers that designed it. I don't want mine to swivel that easily. Makes it harder to hook up if you are just slightly off.
I agree on tougher hook up with a looser hitch. I am getting use to the rubber band moving and the slam to jam hitching method.