Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #11
Turning it off to drive a day or two and then on for a day or so, and then off again, ect, while your traveling will likely do more harm than good. It will never get cold enough before your next days trip.
Leave it on, won't hurt, and safe. Just remember to turn it off before you start pumping gas.

Steve & Cheryl + Charlie & Casey, our furry kids.

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
Camping trips this year so far...8
Days camping...75
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:03 AM   #12
Originally Posted by ckbdk View Post
We can use propane, it's just the actual driving with it on that bothers me; off balance, etc. We can run it at night, but since it takes a while to cool off I have been concerned whether it would cool enough to last through the next day's drive with just ice. I don't want a lot of spoiled groceries when we arrive.
Off-balance is not a concern when you're driving. The ammonia gets moved around, so not a problem. I know a lot of people don't like to drive with the propane on, but there's a lot who do and have no problems. If you were to do that, you do need to turn it off before you pull in to fuel up.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/Diamond pkg.
2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Auto Crew Cab Long Bed
tdst51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #13
Some experts I've read say that you lose only 1 degree per hour with the fridge off and the door closed, so there isn't really a problem with most single-day drives as long as you turn it on again when you camp. The bigger issue than food spoilage is the rare, but possible fire issue when you stop for fuel. There is a somewhat open flame just inside the outside fridge access cover, and open flames near gasoline fumes are a bad combination. My understanding is that there have been disasters, but they are quite infrequent. I used to travel with the fridge running on propane, but after seeing photos of a couple of those rare occurences, I've started turning the fridge off when travelling. I've noticed no issues with food in the fridge or freezer, My biggest problem is remembering to turn it back on when we stop for the night.
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #14
I spend 6 months a year in my motohome and leave the refer on AUTO the whole time. Never had a problem and don't know of anyone who has had one running long term.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #15
X wherever we're at. Ours is on auto from spring to fall. Never have had an issue with any of our units. We walk on the wild side - even when we're refuelling.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
My TT fridge is on the opposite side from my gas fill and 20' back. I'm not worried about leaving it on while refuelling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2016 Coachmen Freedom Express Liberty Edition 310BHDS
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with towing package
Husky weight distribution hitch with sway control
timfromma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #17
NJ to Fla. on propane. Stopped at campgrounds, plug in and next day on the road again. It's all good.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #18
2012 Solera
I run mine on propane while traveling. If I was really worried about it, I would investigate plugging the fridge 110 volt line into an inverter. I believe the fridge 110 volts only is used to run the heater, so a (cheap) modified sine wave inverter should work. I also believe the fridge 110 volt heater on my Solera is relatively low wattage ( less the 400 watts, I think) so shouldn't be a major power drain.
2012 Solera "S"
Calif SF Bay Area
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #19
Always drive with the fridge on propane and have never had a problem.
RussPastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:47 PM   #20
Forget the ice nonsense just leave it on auto and it will be fine! Have been doing that for years and many thousands of miles and never a problem one!

walljammer is offline   Reply With Quote