Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2011, 02:19 PM   #1

Refrigerator Fuse Blows

2011 Rockwood (Windjammer 3002W)

HELP - I noticed that the refrigerator fuse blew (from the red light that was on in the fuse box). The refrigerator did not cool or run and I could tell it had been off for some time (all the frozen meet was thawed and rotten-YUCK). The furnace does not run either. Are they on the same fuse (refrigerator and furnace or did the refrigerator suck all the gas out when the refrigerator fuse blew)? Why did it all of sudden blow? We are parked on camper on a seasonal spot and we have not moved it since the dealer put the camper on this spot. We tried to put four fuses in (15Amp)and each blew as it touched the space to put them in (but blew before they were even connected). Finally, I was able to put a fuse in and it did not blow. So far, so good....but what may be the problem and how can I fix it if it is a short or something.
dsherold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:36 PM   #2

I experienced something very similar not long ago, http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...fuse-9780.html and yes in our case both the fridge and furnace shared a fuse. In my case it was a short in the furnace that kept blowing the fuse so I had to remove a few of the dinette cushions/panels to get at the furnace and disconnect its pigtail connection. Once I did that the fuse no longer blew and the fridge resumed normal operations. Now that fact that your last fuse didn't blow is puzzling. Is the fridge working now?
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply..yes, the fridge works fine now (at least for now)
Old 06-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #4

hate those problems that correct themselves. you know they are likely to pop up again.

to get the smell out, after cleaning, put some charcoal in some pantyhose and leave it in there.
this seemed to work well for me after hurricane rita.
we used bargan brand pantyhose and cheap charcoal (naturally u don't want the self lighting kind).
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 PM   #5

I know it sounds funny, but check the battery water level. The converter powers almost everything in the camper- EVEN when it's plugged into power. That converter changes the 120vAC power into 12vDC, VIA the battery and that is what runs the appliances, except for the Air Conditioner and the Microwave. It may or may not be the problem, but........it's worth a look! Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 10:42 PM   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Smelly fridge !!

Baking soda and lots of it, put the soda on a small dish or plate so it will be open, place the plates in the freezer and the bottom part. make sure you scrub the inside with hot soapy water, especially the door gaskets before placing the baking soda in fridge. Let set for a couple of days with the door slightly cracked or open with the soda inside.

USE LOTS OF BAKEING SODA on the plates, at least two plates in top and a plate on each shelf in the bottom.

Good suggestion Randy
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

While we use regular charcoal in aluminum pans to get the "musty" smell out of the basement, it really is the "poor man's" odor eliminator.

Mythbusters did a test of baking soda and found it was next to worthless.

The "real" odor eliminator is granulated activated charcoal (GAC). It is so effective at absorbing vapors and smells it is actually used in medicine, landscaping, water, and air purification. It is also not all that expensive.

Aquarium Chemical Filtration: Foster and Smith Premium Granulated Carbon

A small nylon (old knee high sock) filled with GAC will last till the next millennium and works like gang busters in the freezer or Fridge.

The reason we use charcoal in the basement is it gets moldy down there as the charcoal absorbs moisture as well as odor and we throw it out monthly. We have never tried large amounts of GAC in the basement and we may need to try that next time and see if it lasts sufficiently longer to justify the increased cost vs BBQ charcoal.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Unfortunetly, the fuses started blowing again. Have isolated the furnace as the problem...control board or blower motor??? Having an electrician look it over.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #9

Finally found out (from my electrician) that it was the furnace 'board' and when I replaced it, everything is fine. You would hope that a circuit board on a brand new camper would not be bad but it was...oh well...we are having a great time coamping now (we are warm at night in October in Iowa!!)
Old 10-03-2011, 07:12 AM   #10

You have a 2011 unit so it should be covered by your FR warranty.
frankm is offline   Reply With Quote