Old 10-18-2010, 11:09 AM   #1

Question Rented a Storage Spot, is the cost to much?

I have been looking for a Storage location for our TT and I was amazed at the wide variances in the rental fees that places wanted. I was quoted by different storage business's for outside open storage from $25.00 to over $75.00 a month just for a parking space. The cost of covered storage is anywhere from $85.00 to over $150.00 a month. I did not even ask anyone how much they wanted for inside storage as I would need to hit the lottery to afford that. I would like to have covered parking but I think being in Texas with the mild winters that outside storage should be fine.

Anyway I settled on and paid for one month of outside storage for $55.00 a month. They had a spot where I could Parallel park against the Fenceline for $45.00. $55.00 got me a concrete slab 50'x10 that is on the end of the row so I will not have to park between two other units.

Does $55.00 sound like a reaonable price for outside storage? They have limited access times of 6am-9pm 7 days a week. 24 hour access is an additional $5.00/month but I did not taek that option.

Facility is Fenced/with controlled gate access. Plenty of Camera's and lighting. The place is only about 5 minutes from my house wich was a major decision in renting the spot. I will be able to see our TT from teh road when I pass by this place almost daily.

So what do you think, good or bad deal?

Old 10-18-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Head Rambler

If there's a camera aimed right at your rig and you can get proof that the DVR is really working it doesn't sound like a bad deal. The best option is to park it at home but barring that, it sounds like you have a pretty good place picked out.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #3

Seems like an OK deal to me. As you say, the prices vary widely based on many of the features that you mentioned. I store mine outside, uncovered, on a gravel surface and pay $43/mo. The lot is fenced with 7 foot chain link topped with barbed wire, but there are no security cameras. We have 24/7 access through a padlocked gate. The biggest plus for us is location as the lot is on the way to where we camp most often. It is hidden from the road and is somewhat remote which means not many people passing by and deciding to break in. Two years and no incidents so far.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #4
Now a "Top Member"

Sounds reasonable to me. As you noted, prices vary widely. If you are happy with the setup (concrete pad and such is nice), and it is convenient for you, it sounds like you have it about right. You might be able to find cheaper, but give up the convenience of being near your home. Sounds like you done good!
Ride-Rite Airbags and Airlift wireless remote compressor...nice!

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
Villa Estate 392FLFB

if its safe and secure its good deal. the seeing it from the road might tempt you over the winter months
Old 10-18-2010, 11:52 AM   #6

Yes there is actally a Camera pointing at the spot I have rented and ther spot is 100% visible from the street. We will take the TT to storage on Saturday. It has been in the driveway since mid August and the Deed restirction Nazi's sent us some hate mail last week giving us 30 days to move the camper. I like having it in the driveway where i can keep an Eye on it but the wife is getting tired of parking in the street.

Thank you all for your input on the price of storage spots.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
the Deed restirction Nazi's sent us some hate mail last week giving us 30 days to move the camper.
tsk tsk. if i ever got one of those letters there would be a war! but then id never live in naziville
Old 10-18-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Deed restirction Nazi's sent us some hate mail last week giving us 30 days to move the camper.
I Love it, I park mine in the Back yard, and barly have enought room to get it in and out with the Ally.. was thinkin of indoor storage, But when we founf out it was almost $200 a month, Back yard sounds better, put in a 30 amp braker and ran a outlet water next i hope to get a dump hooked into the sewer line, LOL

Hatchet
Chevy 2500HD Diesel
07 SandPiper F305

Days camped 2011 "3" so far,
Hatchet58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It has been in the driveway since mid August and the Deed restirction Nazi's sent us some hate mail last week giving us 30 days to move the camper. I like having it in the driveway where i can keep an Eye on it but the wife is getting tired of parking in the street.
You might want to take your restrictive covenant paperwork to a good lawyer, and see what he thinks. You might be wasting a $100 or so, or you could save $55 a month.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like you have a good spot.
Close to home is a BIG plus IMO.

Cameras are over rated.
Unless there is a live person watching the video real time-
all you end up with is some grainy video of the people who
broke into your trailer last night.......

Alarms are better than cameras especially if they are LOUD.
Once the bells and sirens start wailing the bad guys are looking
for the exit pretty quickly.
My 2˘

1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote