Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 06:02 PM   #1

Renting Out Our Lexington 300 GT Motor Home

Does anyone on this board have any experience renting out their motor home? For the past 3 years we have been full-timing in our 2009 Lexington 300GTS. For the next year, beginning in March, we are moving to an apartment in New Orleans. I DO NOT want to sell her. And I would rather she not just sit in a storage yard.

We have modified it to be very comfortable for two adults. The sofa has been replaced with 2 comfortable recliners and the dining booth has been replaced with a table, 2 swivel chairs and a storage credenza.

At this point I am interested in any experiences or alternatives you folks can suggest. Pros and cons. Thanks in advance.
Lex3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #2

There would be a lot involved and much I haven't thought of as yet but the biggest is insurance. Your standard policy would probably not cover the motorhome since it would be considered a business. I am sure some will come with ideas. Wear & tear / damages not covered by insurance. Taxes........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:45 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

There are agencies that will rent them out for you and cover the necessary insurance and such. Not sure of the return, or how it works entirely, but may be worth a shot.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:37 PM   #4
fx2

We have our TT placed with a rental agency. They handle everything, maintenance, repairs, insurance and it's stored on their lot with 24 hour on site security. As part of the contract the wash regularly and wax twice a year.

The agency keeps 50% and we get 50%.

So far so good, we've been happy, especially when the checks come in the mail.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #5

Your personal insurance policy specifically excludes you from running a business of rental. The reason is your premium is rated on your driving record, thus they will deny any claims against you for loss incurred by the renter. And, if it is determined that the renter was liable, you will be sued, opening up any and all assets to the claimant, if sucessful in a court of law. Lawyers rule number one is "go for the deep pockets". You do not want to be at the mercy of a lawyer, never a good thing IMO.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
Kanadian Kamper

Hey Lex3000

Your comment........

We have modified it to be very comfortable for two adults. The sofa has been replaced with 2 comfortable recliners and the dining booth has been replaced with a table, 2 swivel chairs and a storage credenza.

Do you have any pics of the mod?????

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

I don't know much, but will pass on what I DO know

I've considered this in the past. Even though we have yet to own an RV, other than a popup we used one time and just sold yesterday... Seemed to me to be a good way to pay off a motorhome.

I once talked to a local guy that rented out his motorhome. Not through an agency, but directly. He said that insurance is available, but I didn't find out details. Sorry.

His approach was to buy lightly used motorhomes, rent them out for a few years, then replace with another lightly used unit.

I didn't rent his because he only rented it for in-state use, and we were looking to rent one for a trip to Colorado.

He also mentioned that he had one with a slide-out, and had a lot of problems. IIRC he said that renters weren't taking enough care when deploying it, and it kept getting damaged. So after that he only bought MHs that did not have a slide-out.

What turned me off to the idea was when my wife, with her incredible insight, asked me how well I would handle it if someone damaged my MH.

Nope, I ain't got the personality for it...
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #8

Don't do it!!

We were considering renting out our trailer a couple of years ago, and after studying all of the possible consequences, insurance, possible damage, wear and tear we considered it a very bad idea. Renting a house out is bad enough (from experience), but renting something that is mobile is downright frightful. Just my two bits worth.

Best wishes whatever you decide. (((shudder)))
Highway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

Talk with your insurance agent.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #10

You would be better off selling it and buy another. One when you get. Back on the road. I've ran into some rental people with those cruse America units it's not a pritty site
A matter in fact it's hurt full to watch them. rent my RV no way no how
Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:33 PM   #11

I would have to think long and hard before I loaned my unit to a family member. I would not want to rent my unit to a person I did not know.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 01:58 PM   #12

You may want to reconsider selling. The reasoning:
*You will be paying insurance on it, even more if you try to rent it out yourself. If it's not kept rented, the higher insurance rate keeps right on agoin'.
* Your Lexington will be depreciating for another year. Even more with added miles and wear/tear of renters.
* If a renter causes body damage to the unit, it is down indefinitely for repairs. And where will you have to go to get it back.The result is lost income an a lot of grief.
* If a repair is necessary during a rental period, will the renter have it repaired properly and who pays for it? Their fault or it just happened?
* Proximity. Are you near enough to meet with renters, clean it after rental, and have it ready on a short turn-around?
* Do you have a means of checking references of a prospective renter?
* What is your personal liability if you rent to an individual that did not divulge information, that known, you would not have rented it. Example: allowing another driver not listed that was not qualified to drive. Disclaimers and conditions on the contract may not get you out of litigation.
* If your Lexington goes AWOL under a rental, it may be considered civil rather than criminal.
* Keeping your beauty rest. Do you want to stay awake at night thinking about the what ifs?

My fourth career after retiring was a Realtor. There were a lot of incidents where the owners were trying to get their property back from renters. It was a total nightmare when trying to sell a listing occupied by renters. There are a lot of really good people out there to rent to, but you will also be dealing with some of the same types I encountered.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:02 PM   #13

Renting your RV

I haven't had any experience with renting RV's but I do know from having rental real properties that it will not be taken care of like it belonged to them or like I would take care of it if it belonged to me
Boso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:24 PM   #14

There is one of rental agencies in Ft. Smith, AR they do a complete inspection before renting and one after it comes back renter has to pay any/all damages interior and exterior. They carry insurance some way. I think you have to give them a notice so many days before you want to use it so it doesn't get rented.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:29 PM   #15

I had a coworker that rented his class c out when not in use and got taken. He rented it to one of his neighbors and they kept it for 2 weeks and then told him were to pick it up and when he got to the RV it had been totally stripped and the neighbors moved out of there rental. RV was a total loss and the insurance never gave him any money for the RV and he was still paying on it. I would not recommend doing this you RV could end up on the other side of the country never to be seen again.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #16

If you want to keep your friends, don't rent/loan it to them
If you want to keep relations with your family good, do not rent/loan it to them
If you want to ever see your RV in good condition again, do not rent it.

Just think about all the things that can go wrong. Then realize that there are other things that can go wrong that you have not yet considered.
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexington