Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #1

requesting the value of a class c

ok so i am completely new to this rv'ing thing. i found a class c the other day in my neighborhood and decided to ask the owner if it was for sale. it is a 2000 forest river sunseeker 280 e-450 with a v-10. the camper only has 3600 miles on it and the generator has 6 hours total run time. according to the owner he never uses it which is obvious. what would be something like this worth. i know it will deffenitly need all new tires from sitting. i am just a bit worried about things like the tranny seals and main engine seals from sitting. how do these hold up on. are there any issues with the v-10 that i should be aware of and how where the transmissions they used in this year. the guy gave me a price but i think it is a bit high. i won't post the price until i see some others post what they think it is worth. it might make me feel better. any help would be great.
marty hiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:50 AM   #2

Did you try www.nadaguides.com it has an RV section ?You use it like you do for cars .I hope this helps
Old 04-02-2009, 05:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hiskey View Post
ok so i am completely new to this rv'ing thing. i found a class c the other day in my neighborhood and decided to ask the owner if it was for sale. it is a 2000 forest river sunseeker 280 e-450 with a v-10. the camper only has 3600 miles on it and the generator has 6 hours total run time. according to the owner he never uses it which is obvious. what would be something like this worth. i know it will deffenitly need all new tires from sitting. i am just a bit worried about things like the tranny seals and main engine seals from sitting. how do these hold up on. are there any issues with the v-10 that i should be aware of and how where the transmissions they used in this year. the guy gave me a price but i think it is a bit high. i won't post the price until i see some others post what they think it is worth. it might make me feel better. any help would be great.
Because it has set for 9 years, you have reason to worry. I would check it out or get a real mechanic to do it. The Genny is also a concern, it should have 1 hour a month on it just to keep it in shape and then with the low miles and hours when was the oil and such changed last? Also what it is worth in todays market may not be in the NADA. Do some Google and Yahoo engine searchs for the same year group and see what you can buy it for else where. JMHO, good luck in your search.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #4

would $22,000 be a good deal. i think his price is a bit on the high side. i am thinking more $19,500. to $20,500.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
Grape Escape

Sitting idle for such a long period does more harm than good. Make sure everything works and definitely have it checked over. All depends if it was looked after or just left sitting for 8 years in a field
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Site Team

From a little research I'd say it'd be worth $18,000 to $19,000 if the only thing you have to do is buy new tires and change all the fluids. Definitely have a certified mechanic go over it before you even make an offer.

Keep in mind that your locale may dictate a higher price than mine.

You're most likely going to have to have some genny work done to make sure it's in top shape. At 6 hours that's not even an hour a year. It should have much more than that on it if it was only "exersized" the recommended once a month.
Old 04-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #7

i am a marine mechanic by trade and rv's are kinda close to the marine family when it comes to certain things. i am just not savy with the v-10 and their transmissions. i know letting it sit for so long usually puts up the flags for me in my business also especially if it was used in saltwater. i know from having old cars that tranny seals shrink over time and they start to leak. i am also worried about the rotors being real rusty. i just don't want to insult the gentleman with a lower offer. i guess the only thing he could say to me is no i am to low on my price. i am in long island, new york if that makes any difference.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:27 PM   #8
Site Team

not knowing what options are on it, the NADA price with basic options is this:

low retail-$13,970 average retail-$16,830

this info is available on NADA's website. these prices are based on MSRP, not the actual price the owner paid. so they tend to be high. i think $18k is offering too much.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote