Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #1

Researching models

We're pretty "sold" on Forest River...but, what's the difference in the models?

We've looked at the Heritage Glen & the Surveyor bunkhouse models--which line is "better"--they have essentially the same floor plan, specs, etc.

Kind of confusing for new buyers!

Any help appreciated for this newbie to the forums!
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Many of the FR product lines are identical, except for the colors and fabric used inside and the decals on the exterior. I don't know about Heritage Glen vs Surveyor, but for example the Flagstaff and Rockwood are built in the same factory side by side...

It kind of like Chevy trucks and GMC trucks, it is so they can have more dealers sell the same RV, but still have exclusive rights to a name in a given area...
2008 Harley Davidson Road King 105th Anniversary
(2011-5 bad year)(2012-40)(2013-45)(2014-23)
Road-King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
Site Team

don't know which brand is "Heritage Glen" but if it has aluminum siding, that means it is wooden-framed and a lower-quality line than the aluminum-framed filon sided Surveyor line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
don't know which brand is "Heritage Glen" but if it has aluminum siding, that means it is wooden-framed and a lower-quality line than the aluminum-framed filon sided Surveyor line.
Thanks for the input--
The HG is a FR Wildwood product. The model we looked at has filon-sided.

My thoughts were similar to what RoadKing mentioned above...that different FR products are marketed to respective dealers--some get the Surveyors' line, others buy the Wildwood models...
but, my original concerns still hold--is one line "better" quality than the other?

Some folks would say the GMC truck is a "better-built" truck than the Chevy--each e/w the exact equipment/options, etc.

So, guess we'll just have to continue to research specs--but, maybe more important, touch/feel/look over both FR lines!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #5

O.K.--
We've narrowed our search down to these "very similar" models:

Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
Surveyor SV-305
Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD (almost the same as the HG)

If you know anything you'd like to share about these or own one--please rate each on a Scale of 1-5 (5 being top)
Quality & Reliability
Interior
Overall Value (added values or more "bang-for-the-buck"

Thanks a bunch! "Go, Big 12 TCU Horned Frogs!!"
Old 09-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

My surveyor is an SVT-264. I think the quality is excellent. After picking up from the dealer and using it 5 or 6 times, I couldn't be happier. Everything worked exactly as it should. Based on the advice here, I took my brother along with me and he used my cellphone to record the walk through in case I forgot how to do something down the road. I can't comment about the other two models you mentioned but I think the quality on Surveyor is outstanding.

The only thing I was disappointed with is that the 2012 models had three features that the 2013 didn't have: power stabilizer jacks, fantastic fan, serta dreamscape mattress. It wasn't a dealkiller for me, but the mattress would sure have been nice compared to the mattress that feels like a wooden box. I just use a cordless drill to put down the stabilizer jacks. I had the dealer add an electric tongue jack and weight distribution system.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
marcusfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenB View Post
O.K.--
We've narrowed our search down to these "very similar" models:

Wildwood Heritage Glen 312QBUD
Surveyor SV-305
Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD (almost the same as the HG)

If you know anything you'd like to share about these or own one--please rate each on a Scale of 1-5 (5 being top)
Quality & Reliability
Interior
Overall Value (added values or more "bang-for-the-buck)

Something to consider: I think both Salems and Wildwoods have leaf spring axles, where the Surveyor has torsion axles. There is a recent thread on the differences here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-29564.html

That alone should not be a game changer, you gotta look through each model and see what fits your needs the best.

FWIW, make sure you have enough tow vehicle to pull any trailer you get, along with staying within the manufacturers GVWR and GCWR guidelines. The Wildwood and Surveyor are long, heavy trailers.....I couldn't find the Salem 312QBUD.

We have a 2008 Surveyor SV 263, and still loven' it. Tows great, very livable (even with the slide in), only a few minor problems, and it has an almost 3000 lb. cargo capacity. We rate our Surveyor at a 5.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

Fwiw, I spent a couple hours at my dealer to look at 5ers and she kept showing me the sv 305. It Lisa like a great trailer, wonderful layout, and she had bought it's smaller brother just Weeks ago dye to the service guys saying the surveyors are the least worked on trailer. I was impressed too say the least
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote