Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2016, 01:31 PM   #41

I too was sucked into their membership by using Reserve America recently to reserve camping sites at state parks in Florida. When I got an email informing me that they were going to credit my credit card account for a years subscription, I immediately sent them an email telling them to stop it and refund my funds, which they agreed to do. The following is part of their response about how I agreed to sign up. I don't remember getting an advance notice so I assume it went into my spam folder and I deleted it. Regardless, I will watch what I check when using Reserve America again, which I may never do!

"In regards to how you signed up, when you registered for an activity, through one of our Active Network systems, you were presented with a 30-day trial offer of the Advantage program at the end of your registration. The offer was to try the premium program free for 30 days and also provided you with an opportunity to claim $20 in rebates towards your future activity registrations as well as several free gifts offered on the site Deals & Discounts on Races, Events, Gear, Travel & More | ACTIVE Advantage.

To start the trial you would have been required to verify (re-enter) your email address and click an offer acceptance button. Once the trial period ended your annual membership began, which has yearly dues of $64.95.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions about the membership, or take a peek at our Help Center ACTIVE.com Help & Support to find answers to some common member questions."
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:14 AM   #42

Reserve America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
I want to bring this back up because I just got charged out of the blue for $64.95 yesterday. Capital One picked it up as fraudulent activity on my credit card yesterday and put a hold on my card. It shows up on your credit card as:
ACT*ACTIVE-NETWORK

I got an email confirming my membership

ACTIVE Advantage - 1 Year Membership

$64.95

Grand Total
$64.95

Amount Paid
$64.95

Order Balance
$0.00

After much research and canceling my credit card, it turns out that Reserve America is in bed with Active Advantage. So beware. When you go on Reserve America, without knowing your credit card info is being turned over to Active Advantage who signs you up for some kind of discount service (scam). You may start getting emails about a trial membership. Capital One gave me Active Advantage's phone number and I called them. The guy was rude as hell from the start but did say he was gong to credit my account. I had a 20 minute wait. I'm sure they are snowed under with complaints.

I would just advise everyone to search your inbox (as far back as you can) for ACTIVE Advantage or an email from info@get.active.com and make sure you are not getting ripped off.

Capital One credited my account without question but what bothers me is I thought Reserve America was a reputable site. I can't find a phone number on there website. Also Active America is not an accredited by the BBB and I have read of many complaints on this.

Before you blow this off, search your email and credit card. You make be surprised.
ohio uses this same corp for our park system and have YET to an issue.But thanks for the heads up as we will keep an even closer eye to out account.Thanks, TOO TALL
Old 03-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #43
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy Beast View Post
I don't remember seeing this when using the site, I wonder if it has something to do with ad blocking whether you see it or not.
I have ad blocking and didn't see any active advantage sign up but immediately after checkout of my camp site reservation a page opened which offered trial magazine subscriptions and the accept box is the bold one so you have to be careful which box to click to opt out.
This last page is shoehorned in there so it appears that your check out is not complete until you click something on that last page which is not true. By the time the bogus magazine trial page comes up you are done and can close your browser window.

It's sneaky at best but it's the only way to reserve camp sites in several of the states we typically camp in.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #44

"CAVEAT EMPTOR" !
CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 07:34 PM   #45

Thanks for the heads up. I will be using Reserve America next week. I will certainly be looking for it. This may have saved my aggravation of trying to remove a bogus charge of $64.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:11 AM   #46

Boxes you have to "uncheck" or other Trojan horse methods of tricking you into something you don't want is unethical IMO. Welcome to the world of business in the 21st century.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #47

And some go as low as not having an obvious way to opt out. I've had two instances of auto renew where there was no online way to cancel, I had to call them to do it and getting to the right person there was a PITA.
CraigBean7672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:55 AM   #48

Thanks from us too for the head's up. I have been looking to book a pet friendly cabin at a PA state park for the Easter weekend and will thoroughly scan the page before moving on to complete the checkout.

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:39 AM   #49

Thanks for posting this. As a non resident who is not familiar with the protocol I would have assumed that State Park reservations would be like Provincial Parks. I would never have looked closely. Thanks for the heads up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT View Post
"CAVEAT EMPTOR" !
If I interpret your Latin properly, what you're saying is that the buyer is responsible for the purchase. I agree with you when the seller is honest and legitimate. But some say this is fraud, some say unethical. Call it what you want but Capital One shut my credit card down the moment they saw that charge and referred me to their fraud department. They immediately told me not to worry that they were taking that charge off and that they were going to pursue it for me. I know the tendency is to say okay I'm too smart, I know how to use the internet, this doesn't happen to me. I understand that and I've been using a computer before Al Gore invented the internet. But it can be pretty easy for an unethical website to sneak something past you especially for those of us that spend a lot of time on the internet buying things and it becomes very routine. sometimes things slip by even the most savvy. And I know it's offensive to some to say anything about the beloved Reserve America who we have all used over and over and over, but it's their mother company that's slipping this in on their website apparently. I can tell you with 100% accuracy that I did not knowingly sign up for anything for 64.95 which was sold to me over a year ago and charged to me 2 days ago. Have you ever bought anything on Amazon that you didn't know you bought. You always add things to a cart or you get a screen that says are you sure you want to buy this and that sort of thing. Or maybe I should have interpreted your Latin as buyer beware.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #51

Quote:
If I interpret your Latin properly, what you're saying is that the buyer is responsible for the purchase. I agree with you when the seller is honest and legitimate. But some say this is fraud, some say unethical. Call it what you want but Capital One shut my credit card down the moment they saw that charge and referred me to their fraud department. They immediately told me not to worry that they were taking that charge off and that they were going to pursue it for me. I know the tendency is to say okay I'm too smart, I know how to use the internet, this doesn't happen to me. I understand that and I've been using a computer before Al Gore invented the internet. But it can be pretty easy for an unethical website to sneak something past you especially for those of us that spend a lot of time on the internet buying things and it becomes very routine. sometimes things slip by even the most savvy. And I know it's offensive to some to say anything about the beloved Reserve America who we have all used over and over and over, but it's their mother company that's slipping this in on their website apparently. I can tell you with 100% accuracy that I did not knowingly sign up for anything for 64.95 which was sold to me over a year ago and charged to me 2 days ago. Have you ever bought anything on Amazon that you didn't know you bought. You always add things to a cart or you get a screen that says are you sure you want to buy this and that sort of thing. Or maybe I should have interpreted your Latin as buyer beware.
Caveat emptor /ˌkævɛɑːt ˈɛmptɔːr/ is Latin for "Let the buyer beware" (from caveat, "may he beware", a subjunctive form of cavere, "to beware" + emptor, "buyer").

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:52 PM   #52
Site Team

I never go for the free offers from companies. DIRECTV thought I was nuts to remove the 3 months of free channels when I had service installed but doing so kept my statement correct from month 4 on.

I use RA a lot but avoided the option to save $10 that is displaced on the site for CA. That's another freebie that I'm not interested that would not be a freebie in the end.

While some of us have had different experience with RA the information you shared can be helpful. I usually find warnings helpful even if it doesn't come into play for me.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terier View Post
I never go for the free offers from companies. DIRECTV thought I was nuts to remove the 3 months of free channels when I had service installed but doing so kept my statement correct from month 4 on.

I use RA a lot but avoided the option to save $10 that is displaced on the site for CA. That's another freebie that I'm not interested that would not be a freebie in the end.

While some of us have had different experience with RA the information you shared can be helpful. I usually find warnings helpful even if it doesn't come into play for me.
Thanks, I did the exact same thing with Directv, they offer you 3 months free, but don't tell you that they will continue to charge you for it after the 3 months are up. But I like them. Cox did the exact same thing to me yesterday. My internet fee when from 37 to 54. They said my one year promotional offer had expired.
Old 03-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #54

pay close attention at the screens you are presented when making a reservation. Similar to website "communication preferences" you will notice there is an extra screen presented before you enter your credit information that is defaulted to be checked on....this screen is trying to get you to become an "Active member" for cost savings and other "miscellaneous benefits" but you should see that you can either "un-check" that option or simply look for the "not now" type hyperlink somewhere if I recall correctly.

Long story short...look and read everything presented despite the small print, all that happened was you got bit by a "defaulted agree/on/yes" type clause.

Ed & Chris, Empty Nesters (missing Josh & Jaclyn)
along with Blue & Tessa, Cat Explorers!
2020 Rockwood Roo 235s
2019 F-250 Diesel 4x4 Super Duty
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #55
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
pay close attention at the screens you are presented when making a reservation. Similar to website "communication preferences" you will notice there is an extra screen presented before you enter your credit information that is defaulted to be checked on....this screen is trying to get you to become an "Active member" for cost savings and other "miscellaneous benefits" but you should see that you can either "un-check" that option or simply look for the "not now" type hyperlink somewhere if I recall correctly.

Long story short...look and read everything presented despite the small print, all that happened was you got bit by a "defaulted agree/on/yes" type clause.
Diligence is definitely required when ordering anything on-line these days!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 08:24 AM   #56
Big Max

Thanks for the heads up. We use Reserve America quite often.
DKBigMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks, I did the exact same thing with Directv, they offer you 3 months free, but don't tell you that they will continue to charge you for it after the 3 months are up.
Yes they do. I was fully aware that I had to call them up and cancel the extra channels after the 3 months were up. They just count on people either forgetting, or liking the channels so much that they are willing to pay for them.

Netflix and Hulu do the exact same thing. You get one month free but when you sign up you have to provide your CC info and they tell you the exact day you'll start getting charged.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 04:46 PM   #58
Site Team

Quote:
Yea, I got a feeling there's a lot of RVers who use Reserve America have $64.95 sitting on there credit card statement somewhere or even may be paying this fee yearly and not even knowing it. It almost slipped by me. Just trying to bring attention to this. I check my credit card charges online but I see charges and think it's something my wife bought. It's easy to let a scam like this sneak by.
Hey Too Tall, I was clearing out my email that I get all the spam and stuff in. I happened to notice one from Active Advantage, and what do you know, they were informing me that they charged my credit card for my SECOND year membership with the credit card on file.

Like you, I am pretty diligent about never clicking on free offers and make sure to declick boxes like that that the site may automatically sign me up for.

I sent them a fairly nasty email, and will post what they state back, if they do.

I am going to have to go back now and see if they charged my credit card a year ago, for nothing.

Jokes on them this year though, as my bank sent me a new credit card around a month ago after they also said they noted suspicious activity on it.....so the cc # active advantage has or even reserveamercia isn't valid anymore. I am hesitant to ever let reserveamerica have my cc# again. May just use a prepaid card in the future.

Thanks for the heads up, or I most likely would have just deleted the email and never opened it. So you can count one member you helped so far.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #59

Sneaky is unethical, unethical is dishonest, dishonest is a scam and a scam is robbery.

Thanks TooTall for the heads up.
tkarper14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #60
Site Team

I got their same canned response saying how I "signed" up for it. They are lying and I'll say so, as I did no such thing.

Hi Bobby,

Thank you for your email regarding your ACTIVE.com Advantage membership. We apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

Per your email, we have canceled your membership account. The Advantage membership is backed by a 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee, so we have also submitted a refund request for the full amount charged (the membership annual dues). You’ll see this charge credited to your account in the next 3-5 business days.

Regarding how you signed up, when you registered for an activity, through one of our Active Network systems, you were presented with a 30-day trial offer of the Advantage program at the end of your registration. The offer was to try the program free for 30 days and also provided you with an opportunity to claim $20 in rebates towards your future activity registrations. To start the trial you would have been required to verify (re-enter) your email address and click an offer acceptance button. Once the trial period ended your annual membership began and membership fee was charged automatically.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any further questions about the membership, or take a peek at our Help Center ACTIVE.com Help & Support to find answers to some common member questions.

Thank you,

Have a nice day!

Alicia Liu, ACTIVE.com Support
ACTIVE Network

Call: 866.561.0647
Email: activeadvantage@active.com
Hours: Monday - Friday 7am to 5pm Pacific Time

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote