Old 02-12-2015, 11:32 PM   #31
Professional Texan
Posts: 290 which I believe is the same as handles all the internet reservations for the Texas Parks and Wildlife. There are no extra fees. I use the system all the time.

Texas Bob
2015 Chevrolet Silverado HD2500 Z71
2013 Prime Time Tracer Executive 2640 RLS

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #32
I think CA state parks are an $8 fee. I've seen the paragraph and always clock "No Thanks" as others have mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2014 Surveyor SC321BHTS
2016 Ford F150 Eco
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #33
I pulled up at a LA State Park and was charged a reservation fee of $6.00 as a drive up for 1 nite??? I was told you pay regardless if you make reservations or not!!!!

gtony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #34
Site Team
Originally Posted by fx2 View Post
I think CA state parks are an $8 fee. I've seen the paragraph and always clock "No Thanks" as others have mentioned

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
$8 fee is correct.

If I need to make changes I will call RA to switch dates, campsites or even campgrounds. I still pay a cancellation fee but I can avoid being charge a reservation fee for the new reservation. Only once did I have problems but I hung up and called back to speak with a more experienced employee.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #35
I use RA for FL state parks. Never any issue. Great HEADS UP for sure when in unfamiliar territory.
Complaints need to be directed to the head of the respective state park.
If not effective and change not forthcoming, then boycott the RA site and complain loudly until attention is focused where change can be affected.
Last, no change, move on to other alternatives. Use private campgrounds and let chips fall where they may. Reduced revenue at parks means, reduced budgets, which means reduced staff. Sooner or later change will happen.
SilverbackMel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:11 PM   #36
Just made reservations thru Reserve America for a state park here in Ohio. The booking fee was $8 for 4 nights. I did not see any added junk for a trial membership or magazine subscriptions on the site. The web site is not as user friendly as the booking site used by the Ohio state parks last year and prior.

2013 Ford F250 SD 6.7L
2014 Wildwood Heritage Glen 282RK
Certified Rumble Strip Tester
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:17 PM   #37
For VA state parks, the fee is $5 per reservation...

At least it was last year. We get the check box as well. One time I took them up on the offer to get two $10 rebate checks (one per reservation). I applied for my rebate checks and then called & cancelled the membership a couple of days before the trial period ended. Got my $20 a few weeks later! The way I see it, I got my reservation fees back that year.
Also, in the past I have changed reservations (with the proper notice before checkin) without any fees. I don't mind RA, but be aware to look for the opt-out check box.
Steve, Deb & the Boys
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S (brand spankin' new)(4 years ago)
Flashg_123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #38
Sorry to drag it up again, just wanted to vent as I got a $64.95 charge having no idea what it was. After digging and finding out it IS related to my 3 day camping trip booked via RA (ADK NY), I called as soon as they opened 7am PST/10am EST. Spoke to the lady and she refunded my $$ and cancelled my "account" with Activeadvantage dot com

I called RA customer service and stated the same facts I did with the rep @ Active.

Using RA, I had to check mark a box to proceed and to be honest don't even recall what it was (okay shame on me). If you don't check mark it you cannot make the reservation.

IMO this needs to be put in the confirmation emails from RA that you have a trial membership that will automatically bill you after it expires. IMO that would have caught my attention. I don't recall seeing an email from activeadvantage so I had to look and it was indeed in my spam folder and yes there it had the info.

Bottom line, shame on me for not researching what I had to check mark, shame on RA/activeadvantage on this kind of practice. Look for emails from
confirmation(AT)activeadvantage dot com with subject such as "your premium membership has started" and then decide if you want the service or not.
nycapregion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #39
The same thing happens when you use Reserve America to reserve a site at a Florida State Park campground. During the checkout process a page for this fee service comes up and you have to be careful not to get tricked into checking the box during checkout. The continue button is at the bottom of the page and not visible until you scroll down. A business practice like this makes me avoid them at all cost regardless of any possible value they may provide. If you have to trick someone into joining, something is wrong with their business model.

Windjammin is online now   Reply With Quote