Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator

2016 sandpiper 5th wheel. After 9 mos on the learning curve i have questions about our residential refer. It seems like while on the inverter, I don't think it's on. No lights and ice is melting. Also, how do you keep the doors secured while on the road?
oldrls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

It should be running when the inverter is on. Can't help you there.

As for the doors, we use two zip ties each time we hit the road. That knob gadget they gave ain't worth a flip. Two zip ties around the handles when we leave and we just cut them when we arrive. Works like a charm.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

What inverter do you have? I have a WFCO-5100. Check the output AC fuse. Here is a link to my models manual. If not the same just google your model number.. http://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-conten...00-Manual1.pdf

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:03 AM   #4

Does the light on the inverter switch (in the cabinet) come on? If not....

Look in the basement compartment front wall. There is a switch there that looks like a battery disconnect. It is the inverter power switch. Make sure it is on. If it is not on, then the inverter will not turn of regardless of the switch in the cabinet.

It could also be that the inverter is wired to the wrong circuit. Does the microwave have power when the inverter is on?

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #5

Thanks

Sorry for my slow response. I love the zip tie idea, it is hard to believe that they are needed. Without them, I've arrived at our destination to find most of our food spilled all over the coach! I am researching the inverter issues now.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Sorry. I forgot to address the doors. If you have the LG frdge with the bottom drawer freezer, then zip ties might not work.

I picked up some of the severe duty Velcro and placed a small square above each door on the body of the fridge and a small square on the top of each door. I use the other portion to connect the two. On the freezer drawer, same thing except I place a square on each side.

This stuff has quite a high shear strength so I have had no issues. It is also almost clear, so hard to see when you are setup. FYI. It is not the standard hook and loop stuff. Maybe two pieces mesh together by pressing them, and it holds!

Ill snap a picture later.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:47 AM   #7

ours has a couple of little hardware loops in the molding on each side of the refrigerator that allow you to run bungee cords across the refrigerator doors and bottom freezer drawer. it works!
Old 08-12-2016, 12:35 PM   #8

This is what I do, I have long straps Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471023314.705094.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	117012Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1471023329.426053.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	117013

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #9

Residential frig on the inverter

Ok, I am hoping for an answer. When on the inverter, my residential refrigerator does not appear to be working. No lights. I have not attempted dry camping so can't prove it isn't working. Inverter light is lit. Of course it's beyond warranty.
2016 Sandpiper 5er.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:44 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrls View Post
Ok, I am hoping for an answer. When on the inverter, my residential refrigerator does not appear to be working. No lights. I have not attempted dry camping so can't prove it isn't working. Inverter light is lit. Of course it's beyond warranty.
2016 Sandpiper 5er.
The light inside should turn on when you open the door. It should operate the same and look the same as when operating off of shore power.

Does it light on ac power?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:57 PM   #11

Residential frig

Works great plugged into shore power (light comes on). Can't find any assistance in the manual. Do they plug into more than one source?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 PM   #12

You said the inverter light was on. I'm not familiar with your unit but where is your inverter located? Mine has a display on the front that indicates when running on shore power or battery. If the inverter is on and shore power is removed it should automatically switch to inverter power.

Did you buy this unit new?

You started this thread several months ago, what has happened between then and now?

Can you send pics of your inverter? I can help but don't have much info to go on.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by head gamez View Post
Does the light on the inverter switch (in the cabinet) come on? If not....

Look in the basement compartment front wall. There is a switch there that looks like a battery disconnect. It is the inverter power switch. Make sure it is on. If it is not on, then the inverter will not turn of regardless of the switch in the cabinet.

It could also be that the inverter is wired to the wrong circuit. Does the microwave have power when the inverter is on?

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Oldris.. did you heed this post?

Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #14

If your inverter is a Xantrex (what does it say on the power switch panel) there is a GFI that looks like a regular wall outlet on the inverter itself that occasionally pops. The inverter should be in the basement, fairly close to the refrigerator and you can try pushing the reset button on it. If this is popped, the green light will come on, but the inverter won't connect to the refrigerator.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #15

We purchased it new. 2016 sandpiper with fridge in the slide out. Had an early Problem that required a return trip to the manufacturer. After a bunch of warranty work i just let this issue go. Trips have been great however I know that this needs to get fixed but wish I could solve it. Inverter is working but doesn't power the fridge.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrls View Post
We purchased it new. 2016 sandpiper with fridge in the slide out. Had an early Problem that required a return trip to the manufacturer. After a bunch of warranty work i just let this issue go. Trips have been great however I know that this needs to get fixed but wish I could solve it. Inverter is working but doesn't power the fridge.
Well, I can't help. Several posters have given you suggestions and even folks with your particular RV but you have not acknowledged if you have even taken their advice and checked the things they recommended.

I would suggest you start at your original post and reread this entire thread and check the suggestions given to you and respond to them so that at least they know you investigated what they suggested.

I'm off this thread....

Old 02-18-2017, 05:07 AM   #17

dalford....X2. It almost seems like a one way conversation...spanning months with no response. Kind of tiring when trying to help.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:02 AM   #18

Sorry, I do appreciate the help and will follow up on the suggestions. My rig is parked 20 miles from home (no power available) when I'm searching for solutions and then while camping it's the last thing on my mind. The inverter is behind the wall in the basement so I have some work to do. The battery disconnect switch is on. I've learned to pull the batteries and keep them on a trickle charge at home between trips. I'm guessing that when they repaired the slide out a wire was not reconnected. Thank you.

Tags
refrigerator