Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
CLASS "A" Senior Member
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Here in North Carolina, many of the rest areas have separate parking for semi-trucks and for "cars and cars with trailers." In the area for cars and cars with trailers, there are car parking spaces angled to the left toward the bathrooms, and on the right there are long spaces parallel to the opposite curb for those towing trailers.

What really gripes my butt is when single cars park in those trailer spots, when there are plenty of spaces for them even closer to the buildings. I have complained to the attendants, who say people do it because the trailer sites are often in the shade. They say the highway patrol will do nothing about it.

The problem is that once you pull into one of these rest areas, and find the trailer spaces full of single cars, there is no place to stop, and all traffic is one-way, so you just have to leave.

The truck parking area is usually an area that you pass first without any way to know whether the car-trailer spots will be taken until you actually get up there. So there's no way to get back to the truck area once you go past it. The only safe option is to just go ahead and park in the truck lot to begin with, but I'm not so sure the truckers like that, so I've seldom done it.

I guess the solution would be for the self-important folks in the single cars to realize what they are doing. Just because a trailer parking space is open now doesn't mean an RV won't pull in 15 seconds later and need to use it, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Has anyone else run into this?
Had the same experience at Cracker Barrel. They have dedicated parking for Buses & RVs and you find 2 single cars in each spot parked dead center while there are a dozen spots right in front of the entrance to the restaurant. Problem is too many people these days don't think anything applies to them. Hooray for me and screw the rest of you. I just go to a shopping center and park out of the way and walk to the nearest place to eat.
On one occasion I parked to the back of a CB and parked across about 6 spaces. I overheard someone say how ignorant that was while they walked right past the three mini-vans and Lexus parked next to the 2 Buses in the 6 spaces for RVs and Buses. Yeah I'm the ignorant one!

2007 Georgetown 370TS

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
In a traffic jam, rest area are perfect places to tailgate and just wait for the madness to end!

FloridaPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM   #23
I always park in the semi area if there are lots of open spots. I have never had one truck driver say a word.
Park with the professionals, and not the riff-raff.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
In fact- I've had truckers checking out the truck and camper while at fuel stops. Usually idle chit-chat, but friendly so far. I'm sure everyone has a bad day and things happen, but so far- I generally try to be kind and hope for the same in return.

And thunder, I'd have gladly moved for ya. :-)
2013 Sabre 36QBOK pulled by a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW
Blogs: Learn to RV & Personal Fulltiming Adventure
Towing Calculators: Towing Planner
ependydad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #25
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
I send a thank you for the mention of limiting your time in the truck parking side. I still drive part time to support my bad habit (new campers), and it is important to remember that the commercial drivers out there today are playing by some very different and strict rules and when you are out of time it is a mandatory shut down. The drivers may not have enough driving time left to get to the next rest area or truck stop so please be considerate. I pulled in to a rest area and needed to set for 8 hours. It was around 12 o'clock noon and there was an 1 rv in the truck area and the rest of the area was full of trucks. I was out of time so I parked to the side and used the facilities thinking they were doing the same. When I came back it was still there so I walked toward the front. A man and woman were setting there eating there lunch, door open relaxing. I said hello, they responded, I kindly explained my situation and asked if they would be kind enough to pull ahead about 25 feet the the front of the spot so I could pull in behind them, I wasnt running any reefer or anything and had a smaller box truck so we both had room, and that I needed my mandatory break and could not legally drive to the next rest area. Oh MY, I got a butt chewing that most DI's would have been proud of and was told that they had as much right there as any of these pill popping truck drivers and other things I wont even repeat, and this was from her!! I kindly excused myself and apoligized for bothering them, before I got back to my truck I heard an engine start and he pulled to the front of the parking spot , got out, said I am sorry, and I said I am sorry for you,,he laughed and motioned me into the spot. I will never forget that day.
As someone pointed out earlier, you truckers are out there trying to do your job. You have to wonder what kind of upbringing that guy's wife had.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM   #26
I know this is an old thread, but wanted to throw my two cents in. Here in the West (Arizona for us) rest areas direct autos to one side and Trucks and Autos with Trailers to the other side. Traveling to California a few times, I pulled in and could tell that the auto side was completely full, so I parked in the truck side, pulling all the way forward each time.
Also, while I'm pretty certain that the Lexus at CB parked in the truck, bus and RV slots to protect his precious luxury car, sometimes those lots are also completely filled, except for the specified parking, so I can see where somebody might park there. By the time they come out of the restaurant, the parking lot is empty and it looks like they parked where they didn't belong because they considered themselves above the rules.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:13 PM   #27
Drives me nuts when people do this.
Kristina & Family
2015 Sunseeker 3170ds
'13 Honda Pilot -Kar Kaddy 3

Nights camped in 2011/36, 2012/9, 2013/24, 2014/27; 2015/50 2016: 29
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:28 PM   #28
Thanks for all the replies. As i said initially, the folks who need to read this will never see it.
2013 Surveyor SP220
2010 Silverado LT 5.3 V8

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #29
On my most recent trip south I encountered a semi-trailer blocking access to the RV diesel pumps! Maybe the guy had been delayed by a discourteous RV'er in the past and was trying to get even?
2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 WS. Rear LR, large street side slide with small wardrobe slide in BR.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie Quad Cab.
wbdavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:15 PM   #30
Site Team
When we went to Disney we stopped at an overcrowded tiny truck stop. Lines were at least 3-4deep to the truck pumps. One truck driver went in to get his food and came out 15-20 min after the truck in front of him had pulled away from the pump. We were stuck behind this guy and very irritated but stayed calm and polite and never said a word to him as we figured it was his work break and our vacation.

<a href= target=_blank></a>
2014 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 3500 4wd Duramax/Allison
2014 Sabre 34REQS-6
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote