Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Rest area rudeness

Here in North Carolina, many of the rest areas have separate parking for semi-trucks and for "cars and cars with trailers." In the area for cars and cars with trailers, there are car parking spaces angled to the left toward the bathrooms, and on the right there are long spaces parallel to the opposite curb for those towing trailers.

What really gripes my butt is when single cars park in those trailer spots, when there are plenty of spaces for them even closer to the buildings. I have complained to the attendants, who say people do it because the trailer sites are often in the shade. They say the highway patrol will do nothing about it.

The problem is that once you pull into one of these rest areas, and find the trailer spaces full of single cars, there is no place to stop, and all traffic is one-way, so you just have to leave.

The truck parking area is usually an area that you pass first without any way to know whether the car-trailer spots will be taken until you actually get up there. So there's no way to get back to the truck area once you go past it. The only safe option is to just go ahead and park in the truck lot to begin with, but I'm not so sure the truckers like that, so I've seldom done it.

I guess the solution would be for the self-important folks in the single cars to realize what they are doing. Just because a trailer parking space is open now doesn't mean an RV won't pull in 15 seconds later and need to use it, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Has anyone else run into this?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #2

FL rest areas have car parking completely separate from any trailer parking. Semi's and trailers use the same lot. What a bummer other states are different and have that problem.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:08 PM   #3

You know what they say, "You can't fix stupid". Well you can't fix rude either. The Highway Patrol is too busy patrolling the highway, as they should, to police the rest area parking lots. Maybe signs like Cars ONLY, Semis ONLY, and Cars w/ campers ONLY might help. Then again, probably not. They don't apply to rude people.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Site Team

You could always double park parallel to them. Then they'd have to wait for you to leave!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Maybe signs like Cars ONLY, Semis ONLY, and Cars w/ campers ONLY might help. Then again, probably not. They don't apply to rude people.
Signs like that just attract people, not deter them. You ought to see how many people park directly in front of our signs that say "NO PARKING" here at the shop.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You could always double park parallel to them. Then they'd have to wait for you to leave!
Good idea and make sure you box them in front & rear. Might take a little manuevering, but would be worth it to listen to them gripe. Then you could tell them, "I'm sorry, I didn't see your trailer!"
Old 03-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Perhaps a few low tires would bring it to their attention. No I didn't say that did I ???
Old 03-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
The Highway Patrol is too busy patrolling the highway, as they should, to police the rest area parking.
I don't know about that we just were in Florida and they had radar set up in the rest area, got quite a few people too, but maybe parking is not as lucrative as speeding.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
daydreaming about camping

These are the same people who pull up to the only diesel island at the local station when all other islands are open, and then can't figure out why I sit there idling waiting for them to finish putting gas in their Kia.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Do like I do. I always park with the trucks. Have never had a problem doing this in any rest area I have stopped in. Keeps stress level low and besides, it is usually in the back which gives easy access to grassy areas for the 2 4 legged companions.

awwall is offline   Reply With Quote