Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #1

Rest area rudeness

Here in North Carolina, many of the rest areas have separate parking for semi-trucks and for "cars and cars with trailers." In the area for cars and cars with trailers, there are car parking spaces angled to the left toward the bathrooms, and on the right there are long spaces parallel to the opposite curb for those towing trailers.

What really gripes my butt is when single cars park in those trailer spots, when there are plenty of spaces for them even closer to the buildings. I have complained to the attendants, who say people do it because the trailer sites are often in the shade. They say the highway patrol will do nothing about it.

The problem is that once you pull into one of these rest areas, and find the trailer spaces full of single cars, there is no place to stop, and all traffic is one-way, so you just have to leave.

The truck parking area is usually an area that you pass first without any way to know whether the car-trailer spots will be taken until you actually get up there. So there's no way to get back to the truck area once you go past it. The only safe option is to just go ahead and park in the truck lot to begin with, but I'm not so sure the truckers like that, so I've seldom done it.

I guess the solution would be for the self-important folks in the single cars to realize what they are doing. Just because a trailer parking space is open now doesn't mean an RV won't pull in 15 seconds later and need to use it, but I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Has anyone else run into this?

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

FL rest areas have car parking completely separate from any trailer parking. Semi's and trailers use the same lot. What a bummer other states are different and have that problem.

2014 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

previous owner of
2014 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306
dkb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #3

You know what they say, "You can't fix stupid". Well you can't fix rude either. The Highway Patrol is too busy patrolling the highway, as they should, to police the rest area parking lots. Maybe signs like Cars ONLY, Semis ONLY, and Cars w/ campers ONLY might help. Then again, probably not. They don't apply to rude people.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

You could always double park parallel to them. Then they'd have to wait for you to leave!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Maybe signs like Cars ONLY, Semis ONLY, and Cars w/ campers ONLY might help. Then again, probably not. They don't apply to rude people.
Signs like that just attract people, not deter them. You ought to see how many people park directly in front of our signs that say "NO PARKING" here at the shop.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:28 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You could always double park parallel to them. Then they'd have to wait for you to leave!
Good idea and make sure you box them in front & rear. Might take a little manuevering, but would be worth it to listen to them gripe. Then you could tell them, "I'm sorry, I didn't see your trailer!"
Old 03-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #7

Perhaps a few low tires would bring it to their attention. No I didn't say that did I ???
TeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
DDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
The Highway Patrol is too busy patrolling the highway, as they should, to police the rest area parking.
I don't know about that we just were in Florida and they had radar set up in the rest area, got quite a few people too, but maybe parking is not as lucrative as speeding.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
daydreaming about camping

These are the same people who pull up to the only diesel island at the local station when all other islands are open, and then can't figure out why I sit there idling waiting for them to finish putting gas in their Kia.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Do like I do. I always park with the trucks. Have never had a problem doing this in any rest area I have stopped in. Keeps stress level low and besides, it is usually in the back which gives easy access to grassy areas for the 2 4 legged companions.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
These are the same people who pull up to the only diesel island at the local station when all other islands are open, and then can't figure out why I sit there idling waiting for them to finish putting gas in their Kia.
What! I thought I was the only one that happened to.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Perhaps a few low tires would bring it to their attention. No I didn't say that did I ???
I don't think I would do that, I'd get caught and end up in jail.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDC View Post
I don't know about that we just were in Florida and they had radar set up in the rest area, got quite a few people too, but maybe parking is not as lucrative as speeding.
Was in Florida when that was going on also, it was on I-10 and I-4 where people where speading thu rest areas to get around bumper to bumper and try and get ahead. I watched them ticket a dozen or more people for it at $125.00 per car. Don't speed thru rest area in FL for sure...
Forbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #14
Always Learning

At 58 1/2' bumper to bumper, I *always* use the truck parking. I've never been looked at twice or had anyone say anything except when we were standing around eating sandwiches. And that guy simple told us if we wanted to sit, we could go around the corner to tables.

I can also count on one hand the number of public restrooms I've used while towing. I'd much rather use my facilities.

I would, however, try to be as brief as possible if it was busy and there were limited spots left. Those guys and gals are working.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
What! I thought I was the only one that happened to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
Oh how about the one that leaves their car parked and goes in for lunch.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Director, FROG

Just keep in mind that both common sense and common courtesy are sadly misnamed. Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet ... Well, never mind!

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #17

If there's enought room on the cars side, I'd park over there taking up 6-10 car spots and see how fast they yell at you. Then you'd have a leg to stand on to MAKE them move the cars that are in the trl parking area.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #18
H2oski

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
at 58 1/2' bumper to bumper, i *always* use the truck parking. I've never been looked at twice or had anyone say anything
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #19

I send a thank you for the mention of limiting your time in the truck parking side. I still drive part time to support my bad habit (new campers), and it is important to remember that the commercial drivers out there today are playing by some very different and strict rules and when you are out of time it is a mandatory shut down. The drivers may not have enough driving time left to get to the next rest area or truck stop so please be considerate. I pulled in to a rest area and needed to set for 8 hours. It was around 12 o'clock noon and there was an 1 rv in the truck area and the rest of the area was full of trucks. I was out of time so I parked to the side and used the facilities thinking they were doing the same. When I came back it was still there so I walked toward the front. A man and woman were setting there eating there lunch, door open relaxing. I said hello, they responded, I kindly explained my situation and asked if they would be kind enough to pull ahead about 25 feet the the front of the spot so I could pull in behind them, I wasnt running any reefer or anything and had a smaller box truck so we both had room, and that I needed my mandatory break and could not legally drive to the next rest area. Oh MY, I got a butt chewing that most DI's would have been proud of and was told that they had as much right there as any of these pill popping truck drivers and other things I wont even repeat, and this was from her!! I kindly excused myself and apoligized for bothering them, before I got back to my truck I heard an engine start and he pulled to the front of the parking spot , got out, said I am sorry, and I said I am sorry for you,,he laughed and motioned me into the spot. I will never forget that day.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.R.O.G. View Post
Just keep in mind that both common sense and common courtesy are sadly misnamed. Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet ... Well, never mind!
yeah and you gave me crap ......... listen to you !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote