Old 10-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #11
I retired about 2-1/2 years ago due to health reasons. Mostly my wifes but after 37 yrs. and new owners where I worked and who's policies I just didn't agree with I retired at 60. We bought our trailer and a truck to tow it with and haven't regretted it yet. There are times when it gets tight and I think about getting a part time job but we have been able to cut back and get through the difficulties so far. If I had to do it over again I would retire just the same or maybe even earlier. We have learned we don't need all we thought we did, our health and lives seem so much better, we have seen places we never thought we would and met some great people. Our only regret is that we didn't plan to do this till 65 so we can't afford to travel as much as we would like but on the other hand; if I had worked longer I might not have been able to travel at all or even been here. Now we have nothing but time to enjoy every day as best we can. I would say everyone needs to make there own decision based on their own circumstances but things like your and your loved ones health and personal enjoyment should be weighted a little heavier in favour of retiring. Old Guys

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #12
I retired 1.2yrs ago. I didn't see that It would cost more to b retired. We tend to spend more because of the extra time.
I wasn't concerned abt the economy; it will never b perfect.
Just don't do what my inlaws have done and work into their 80's then have health issues that prevents them from also keeps everyone Close in case something happens to them.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #13

I retired this year after 42 years as a Telephone man (Telecommunications Man) New title. The wife also retired. I am 66 and we have been on road since June. We are enjoying it very much.
whitebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
My wife and I start thinking about retirement about 10 years ago. We put a plan together that hopefully will see us through retirement. She retired this year and I am planning on retiring next year when I hit 62. We purchased our truck earlier this year and then bought a new 2011 V-Lite 30 foot travel trailer. We have already taken 6 short trips this year to shake down the camper and get comfortable with it. Our plans are that next year when I retire we will plan a longer trip of about 30 days out west somewhere (not sure of exact location yet).

As far as our retirement income goes Linda retired with a pension. I will have a pension from my current company plus two other smaller pensions from two other companies that I worked for. I also plan to take my Social Security at 62 plus we both have our 401's. We have managed to purchase a seperate house near the beach that we have discussed selling for retirement if needed. We also will have our main house paid off next year. We have only one credit card, which will be paid off at the end of this year and no other credit/charge accounts.

I am no expert at this but we have tried to plan for retirement instead of letting it sneak up on us. Our plans are to camp in as many places as we can while our health is good enough to travel. There are a lot of beautiful places in these United States that we have only seen in films and pictures but we would like to see them in person.

Freddie & Linda
2015 Forest River Sierra 330RLS
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4X4 Cummins Diesel
Days camped for 2016 - 46
Days Planned for 2017 - 118
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
We were debt free and had a little more take home without touching the 401k. Wasn't expecting to replace a vehicle one yr after retirement. Now I'm hitting it but believe it will perpetual at the rate of withdrawal.
Eventhough we hear of the bad economy, actual return on investment has out performed cd over the life.
Just keep in mind, the unexpected happens; have a ready reserve somewhere.
We have made several trips sense retirement. Would like to revisit sd again. Maybe nx yr.

jimh is offline   Reply With Quote