Old 09-11-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

Unhappy returning camper

Does anyone know how long you have to return a camper,that you are not happy with? I picked our 294 last week or so,and It hasn't made it out of the driveway yet,and I've been working on it ever since. Let's start with the 100 mile ride home,I guess it may be part my fault, but the dealer hooked up the camper after installing the hitch,had me pull it out of the garage.After going over everything,he sent me on my way.I drove out of the parking lot and journied home.I got within 40 miles of home,(without stopping to check things out) and my truck just shut off,and I almost pooped my pants.i looked down at the brake controller,and found no connection,I got out and looked,and found that they left the wire at least one foot too long,and it wore down to nothing dragging the ground! I drove the 40 miles without lights or brakes! Had them send me a new cable and I did the work and replaced it! Hooked everything up in the driveway,and found first the cooling fan in the radio is bad,and is making a grinding noise,that you have to turn the radio up to 18 to drown it out! I'm going to make the rest short,but I had to repair the gray water line,the sink drain ,found the faucet is leaking out of the handle ,the Tv is not working properly,they forgot to put some type of seal somewhere,and want me to put it on! The list goes on and on.This camper has the worst workman ship I have ever seen,I know you are saying I should have looked better at it! Now I have an appointment in 4 weeks , that i have to miss work for ,because I want to show them everything. At this point I'm thinking about telling them to get me a new one!I don't know the law on returning something like that,or I would! I am not discouraging anyone from buying a forest river product,I just think I got a bad one,and Want it repaired or replaced!!!

timtheflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #2

Normaly once a rig is titled it is now considered used, they will not take it back unless you trade it in, now you will get wholesale price. The problem with buying far away is that it may have to go back where you bought it, but not always. The best thing you can do is to call where you bought it and tell them you problems, maybe they can set something up for you at a closer dealer. Some states have a law that you can return a car within 48 hours, but here in Maryland there is no law once you sign the paper work and drive it of the lot IT IS YOURS..The dealer will take as a trade the next day...I wish you the best.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

I knew that buying far away was going to be a pain,so I shouldn't complain about that! I 'm just frustrated,and I'm venting! The dealer told me to give them a chance to make repairs,so i guess I have to do that first! You would not believe the workmanship on this thing, there is alot of wood panels, that are not joined properly on the corners,The entertainment center,is not made properly. I had to go out and buy putty to match,to hide the defects.Again my fault for not looking it over properly,but $22000.00 is alot to pay for something that seems like a second,or a deffective unit!
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtheflyguy View Post
I knew that buying far away was going to be a pain,so I shouldn't complain about that! I 'm just frustrated,and I'm venting! The dealer told me to give them a chance to make repairs,so i guess I have to do that first! You would not believe the workmanship on this thing, there is alot of wood panels, that are not joined properly on the corners,The entertainment center,is not made properly. I had to go out and buy putty to match,to hide the defects.Again my fault for not looking it over properly,but $22000.00 is alot to pay for something that seems like a second,or a deffective unit!
I fell your pain, It is a shame as I have mentioned it be for Poor engineering, workmanship and to top it all of NO quality control. $22,000 plus interest is alot of money just to give away, it could make one give up RVing all together.

Forest River is NOT something I will buy again. I have alot of question when I buy form a different manufacture, I fell sorry for them when I am done.

I have been getting alot of info from.....escapeesrv.com....So far it is a great place to find out what is going on. You may want to check it out.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:39 PM   #5

wow! I'm stunned. I haven't purchased yet but was looking at the surveyor line VERY seriously. This is the first horror story I have seen on the internet concerning surveyors. I have read alot about satisfied buyers who though the qaulity was at the very least very good. Have you compared the workmanship of the surveyor to other Ultralight TT's? Which ones have you physically been in to inspect? I'm not trying to be a contrarian..it's just your comments are rather alarming to someone who was about to pull the trigger on a purchase.

Products today, in general, are not produced like they were in 1973. That coachman was probably built like a tank b/c thats how they built everything back then. Could it be that you just didn't realize how Ultralights are constucted? Or do you think it is shotty construction even by Ultralight TT's standards?

By the way, I'm on your side if you honestly got ripped off. I also think somebody dropped the ball for sure on the wiring issue. lm
Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

Thumbs up

I'm not trying to bash surveyor.I have been around cunstruction for many many years.I Have been an HVAC technician for many years,and If someone did a job like that, i would fire them.
Also ,I agree with the fact that I may be looking at this as if it should be built like a tank! However when i could put my hand under a cabinet door,and reach inside,that's bad workman ship!
Please dont be discouraged by my comments,you should look,as well as I should have looked at other manufactures,maybe they are the same.
I still like my surveyor,for the lightweight and style,I thing the exterior walls and insulation are great! I just think they could have been more careful and less sloppy
I did not intend to give you worry about surveyor,the fact that i heard nothing but good things about them,is why I purchased.Once my issues are taken care of,I'm sure I will love..........well like my 294 much better.
We have a car that we had for 10 years,and have not had one problem with it,but other people tell us they have,and would not buy another one.It seems to be luck of the draw!

P.S. Someone onthis site suggested I go over the checklist with the dealer,and look at everything.....Don't make the same mistake,take this advice!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #7

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash surveyor.I have been around cunstruction for many many years.I Have been an HVAC technician for many years,and If someone did a job like that, i would fire them.
Also ,I agree with the fact that I may be looking at this as if it should be built like a tank! However when i could put my hand under a cabinet door,and reach inside,that's bad workman ship!
Please dont be discouraged by my comments,you should look,as well as I should have looked at other manufactures,maybe they are the same.
I still like my surveyor,for the lightweight and style,I thing the exterior walls and insulation are great! I just think they could have been more careful and less sloppy
I did not intend to give you worry about surveyor,the fact that i heard nothing but good things about them,is why I purchased.Once my issues are taken care of,I'm sure I will love..........well like my 294 much better.
We have a car that we had for 10 years,and have not had one problem with it,but other people tell us they have,and would not buy another one.It seems to be luck of the draw!

P.S. Someone onthis site suggested I go over the checklist with the dealer,and look at everything.....Don't make the same mistake,take this advice!
I will definately take that advice. I feel bad for you...trust me. This kind of thing ALWAYS happens to me. I'll be interested to see what kind of follow up you get from FR. Good luck and report back after the dust settles. lm
Old 09-11-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

You may thing I'm beeing picky,but this is the entertainment center,you can see the difference from the left,which has 3 posts,and the right , which has 4 posts. I have checked other campers with this entertainment center,and they are even on both sides.A small detail,but just pure sloppiness.Maybe it was made on friday at 4 ! you can see smudges on the ends,this is putty,they used to fill gaps...nice huh?
Click image for larger version

Name:	entertainment center 1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1803

Name:	entertainment center 3.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	1804

Name:	intertainment center2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	1805

Name:	head board 2.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1807
This is the head board,i don't know if it is stained,or worn on the right side , they are going to replace this for me!
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #9

Quote:
You may thing I'm beeing picky,but this is the entertainment center,you can see the difference from the left,which has 3 posts,and the right , which has 4 posts. I have checked other campers with this entertainment center,and they are even on both sides.A small detail,but just pure sloppiness.Maybe it was made on friday at 4 ! you can see smudges on the ends,this is putty,they used to fill gaps...nice huh?
Attachment 1803

Attachment 1804

Attachment 1805
Friday at 4 or BEER:30.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:00 PM   #10
" LIVE TO FLYFISH "

looks like somone had too much beer:30,and relieved themselves on the head board LOL! (you got to laugh to keep from crying!)