Old 03-19-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
2011 Forest River Stealth

Right Size Holding Tanks

Has anyone every checked to see if they have the right size holding tanks on the unit they have bought.

I bought a 2011 Forest River Stealth CK3214 toy hauler. I am suppose to have a 40/40 gallons black and grey tank. When looking at the tanks they did not look by the eye to be 40. So I got the # off the tank and called the tank manifacture they stated it was a 32 gallon tank. I called the warrenty rep. for F/R (Jeff Treadwell) which stated they metered another trailer like mine and came up with 40.9 gallons. So I went out and metered mine. At 36 gallons I had standing water in the kitchen sink and the shower. I explained via email to Jeff what I metered my at. Jeff replyed with, all of our tanks are the same # and metered. not sure what to do now. Maybe invite myself down to the manifacture and have him prove my is a 40 gallon tank.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #2

With all of the fraud we see in the marketplace every day, it shouldn't surprise us that they might stretch the truth a bit on tank size.
I am not sure what you want FR to do? Do you want them to change the tank for a bigger one? For a few gallons, you risk the chance of a leak from a poor install.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Original poster stated, "I had standing water in the kitchen sink and the shower". Can somebody explain this? When my gray tank fills up, the shower fills till the shower pan overflows, than water runs out in the floor. I guess it could happen if the kitchen sink and shower were on the exact same level.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #4

I have a 5th wheel not TT. From the kitchen you have to take a couple steps up to get into the restroom and shower. Shower drain is almost exact same hight at kitchen sink.
I should have also stated its a 5th wheel.

I am not on to make up stories for attention.

This is not the first time I have had this problem.

I had a 5th wheel prior to this one, 2004 FR Salem (5th Wheel) stated it had a 56 gallon fresh water tank. I called the tank manifacture gave them the #s off the tank and found out it was a 40 gallon tank.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #5

If you're the lone exception then not sure what you can do, or make them do. If this is a pattern then it's false advertising at least and could be a big deal to FR.

Time to chat with an attorney perhaps?

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #6
camping

the brochure for our trailer said it had a 38 gallon grey tank, its only 32 gallons.

it also stats this in the brochure
"Floor plans and specifications are based on the latest product information.
Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes in drawings and
specifications at any time without notice and assumes no responsibility for any errors in the site.
The model number does not necessarily reflect the overall length of a particular unit."
I don't like it but all the RV manufacturers do this- save a buck

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #7

Take it back to the dealer explain the situation to him and let him deal with getting the right tanks installed. Of course someplace on the brochure you will also find the disclaimer that all information is subject to change at any time without notice. So on the other hand you are out of luck.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

"This is not the first time I have had this problem.

I had a 5th wheel prior to this one, 2004 FR Salem (5th Wheel) stated it had a 56 gallon fresh water tank. I called the tank manifacture gave them the #s off the tank and found out it was a 40 gallon tank. "
==============================================
Then why are you surprised this time?
I simply don't see the big deal.
You know how big your tank is, plan accordingly.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #9

I was planning accordingly before I bought the trailer. There was a lot of factors into buying this trailer. 40 gallons absulute mininum was one of them. When you dry camp 99 percent of the time, you need all you can get. I guess I should get every little spec. down in wrighting before I buy it.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like once their fault, twice burned, your fault. Maybe you should have made the dealer meter it before you signed on the bottom line. Sorry, don't mean to blame you, and I apologize, you gave the model number, I just get tired of having to go to Forrest River website and look them up. Good luck, and because the tank manufacturer specs the tank, it may be without support straps too tight, or any straps at all.

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote