Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance experience

My worst nightmare happened on Sunday afternoon when we had a front tire blow-out. Fortunately (and surprisingly to me) the motorhome continued to steer straight ahead and we were able to pull over to the side of the road without mishap. We have Good Sam road assistance and called. For anyone else who has experienced using roadside assistance, please tell me if this normal. It took 4 hours for the service to get to us. We elected to go ahead and replace both front tires. I understand that's at our cost. They also proceeded to charge us $15 fuel charge for coming out, a 3% charge for using a credit card or check, the $10 toll fee and an additional $150 because it was Sunday. They also charged Good Sam $320 to come out. This all in addition to
the cost of the tires and disposal feel. We feel like we were gouged, but perhaps this is normal. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Debby
dkwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:27 AM   #2

You need to go back to Good Sam, The tires are on you but the rest should have been picked up by GS JMHO
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

I used Good Sam to come and change a tire on my 2015 Wildcat 327ck two Sundays ago. I was in a Campground/RV park near Ft. Wayne, IN. It was a pleasant experience. I had the spare and the tire had picked up a sharp screw and deflated slowly. The young man, from England, did the job efficiently and he was friendly. I did tip him but I didn't have to and he did not ask for any money for anything.
whj77372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:17 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whj77372 View Post
I used Good Sam to come and change a tire on my 2015 Wildcat 327ck two Sundays ago. I was in a Campground/RV park near Ft. Wayne, IN. It was a pleasant experience. I had the spare and the tire had picked up a sharp screw and deflated slowly. The young man, from England, did the job efficiently and he was friendly. I did tip him but I didn't have to and he did not ask for any money for anything.
Has always worked that way for me, too.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

That cost does seem excessive, and yes you should be in contact with GS.

The response time ? Depending on your location, and assuming the wrecker company had to locate two RV tires?
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeljag View Post
That cost does seem excessive, and yes you should be in contact with GS.

The response time ? Depending on your location, and assuming the wrecker company had to locate two RV tires?
Yeah, could be hard to find the right tires on a Sunday.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwalsh View Post
My worst nightmare happened on Sunday afternoon when we had a front tire blow-out. Fortunately (and surprisingly to me) the motorhome continued to steer straight ahead and we were able to pull over to the side of the road without mishap. We have Good Sam road assistance and called. For anyone else who has experienced using roadside assistance, please tell me if this normal. It took 4 hours for the service to get to us. We elected to go ahead and replace both front tires. I understand that's at our cost. They also proceeded to charge us $15 fuel charge for coming out, a 3% charge for using a credit card or check, the $10 toll fee and an additional $150 because it was Sunday. They also charged Good Sam $320 to come out. This all in addition to
the cost of the tires and disposal feel. We feel like we were gouged, but perhaps this is normal. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Debby
Sure seems awfully high to me. We had blow out on right rear of tow vehicle on Florida Turnpike which is a toll road. We have Coachnet & they were there in about 1 1/2 hours. We needed a tire, which they brought. Changed out tire & mounted on truck & we were on the road again in less than 2 1/2 hours. All we were charged for was the tire, but I did give them a tip. Very pleased with service.
Papa GLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 08:46 AM   #8

Thanks all for the responses. The service is the one who pushed the tire sales on us. Said they had some in the shop and just had to pick them up. Called Good Sam customer assistance--they were not helpful other than to say they had an on-line claim form. We went ahead and filed a claim for the extra charges. Will keep you posted on whether we are reimbursed or not.

Debby
Old 06-20-2017, 09:00 AM   #9

I’m probably not supposed to direct someone to a different camping forum but in this case I will. Good Sam also owns the RV.NET Forum website. Go to that forum and join if you aren’t already and post your experience.

I had friends who had a similar experience with a flat tire and it ticked me off enough that I posted their experience on the RV.NET forum. Within a couple of hours I had a public response from a Good Sam rep who asked me to send him a private message with the contact information of my friends.

Long story short the issue my friends had was not only resolved, Good Sam went beyond expectations. Sometimes the contractors that emergency roadside services use are a bit crooked. It helps to complain to the company providing the service and not just some customer service rep who has no idea.

My apologies to Social Knowledge and the forum moderators for directing to a different website.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post
I’m probably not supposed to direct someone to a different camping forum but in this case I will. Good Sam also owns the RV.NET Forum website. Go to that forum and join if you aren’t already and post your experience.

I had friends who had a similar experience with a flat tire and it ticked me off enough that I posted their experience on the RV.NET forum. Within a couple of hours I had a public response from a Good Sam rep who asked me to send him a private message with the contact information of my friends.

Long story short the issue my friends had was not only resolved, Good Sam went beyond expectations. Sometimes the contractors that emergency roadside services use are a bit crooked. It helps to complain to the company providing the service and not just some customer service rep who has no idea.

My apologies to Social Knowledge and the forum moderators for directing to a different website.
My apologies for being stupid... but you were only trying to help. That's what most of this is about. IMHO(in my humble opinion)
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM   #11
Enjoying Life

The GSRA contract says they pay all costs to come out. The tires are on you. Keep at GS and follow the advice about posting.
Another thing you could try, If you paid by CC is to contest the charge. The basis would be double charges. They were paid by GS the required amount and then double billed you when you had no choice.

2006 Durango HEMI

TeachTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:24 AM   #12
Site Team

Oakman, this is not a problem IMO.
We appreciate the great suggestion.
It's one thing to post advertising another website and something else
entirely to mention a possible solution to an expensive issue like this one with
the roadside charges.

I also have found it helpful to visit a businesses social website and either post in the public eye or send them a PM.

We hope GS steps up and covers this as it totally sounds like the OP were held up by the guy in the wrecker!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #13

Thanks Oakman and all others for your replies and suggestions. I'll give the other forum a try if GS doesn't come through on the claim. It felt like we were being taken, but without any experience, it was hard to know. Thanks all for confirming what we thought was the case.

Debby
Old 06-20-2017, 10:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwalsh View Post
Thanks Oakman and all others for your replies and suggestions. I'll give the other forum a try if GS doesn't come through on the claim. It felt like we were being taken, but without any experience, it was hard to know. Thanks all for confirming what we thought was the case.

Debby
Yes, this is the place to come for advice from experienced campers. A wealth of knowledge on here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You need to go back to Good Sam, The tires are on you but the rest should have been picked up by GS JMHO

Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #15

Had a similar experience with front tire on tv. Called good Sam and they sent a major company to change it with our spare. When he was finished he said we needed to pay,talked to the office and they said that was correct because they didn't bill 3 rd parties. I paid but contacted good Sam when we got home and was told they should not have billed me, GS sent me form and I was reimbursed. Next time this happens I will call GS and let them talk to tire company.
eldonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #16

Debby, who was with you when you had the blowout? Is it possible they overcharged you because you're a woman? I'm not trying to go on a feminist rant, but instances of overcharging solo females is documented well enough to consider if it might have played a part in your case. Something to consider and mention when dealing with the offending tow company.
btw, I rarely play the wronged woman card. I am not a feminist, far from it, but in my 62 years I've sadly come up against this type of behavior a time or two.

Happiness is just a ride away!
Sharon455 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 AM   #17

Update-Thank you Good Sam

I wanted to provide an update on my Good Sam roadside assistance experience. I filed a claim with Good Sam on June 20. While I haven't yet received payment, I have been advised that Good Sam approved my claim and will be sending a reimbursement check. I wanted to be sure to give credit where credit was due. Thank you Good Sam!

Debby
Old 07-12-2017, 08:18 AM   #18

Thanks for coming back with the update. I'm glad things are working out for you.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote