Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Ray

Roadside Assistance Programs

We are considering subscribing to a roadside assistance program and would like some feedback from those that may have had some experience with any of these programs. We have had Coach-Net in the past, but, fortunately never had to use it, and are considering re-upping with them. Any advice would be appreciated.
2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have Good Sam ERS. It covers every vehicle titled to my address. I've used them for a couple things. Dead battery in my car this past summer. Everyone I've spoken with was very helpful. My daughter was involved in an accident with her car. She called for a tow truck and on a snowy day the earliest they could get one there was 45 minutes. The policeman wanted the car off the road so another company from a local car dealership towed the vehicle. ERS reimbursed us the entire amount for another company towing since they couldn't get there quick enough. Hopefully, I'll never need to use them again but it is reassuring that I have it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

The only program I have had is the Good Sam ERS, so can not speak about the others. GS has always been there when needed, sometimes slower than what I would have liked but then I was out in the middle of now where land.
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:01 AM   #4

Well we have the Good Sam ERS. However, the one time I needed them, they were not there. I had a blowout on the trailer in Bennettsville SC, approximately 80 miles from Myrtle Beach. The closest service center they had was over two hours away. So I changed the tire myself with some help from a couple of local fellows that were standing by. We re-subscribed but I am not yet convinced it is worth it based on that experience.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

Went to Coach Net. Like the fact that they have Tech help. Seems like they could help for things like a stuck slide out over the phone. Good Sam is okay. AARP Road Service "could not find us on map" at an exit I-95 in NC. Dropped them fast.

2002 GMC Sierra 5.3
2005 Flagstaff 26RKS
tomkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehall View Post
Well we have the Good Sam ERS. However, the one time I needed them, they were not there. I had a blowout on the trailer in Bennettsville SC, approximately 80 miles from Myrtle Beach. The closest service center they had was over two hours away. So I changed the tire myself with some help from a couple of local fellows that were standing by. We re-subscribed but I am not yet convinced it is worth it based on that experience.
Also consider that if you have a tire size that is not commonly stocked such as some trailer tires and many of the bigger RV sizes like ours, you could be sitting for a couple of days waiting no matter what service you have. For that reason we carry a spare tire in the space provided in our Georgetown although there isn't room for a rim so a tire shop still has to change the tire on the side of the road for you. That said we too went with the Good Sam ERS after comparing plans. Although we haven't needed them we do appreciate that they will tow our boat for us if the RV is disabled and also cover all our other vehicles for one price.

Be sure to read the fine print about what they consider to be a "road" Some plans state that they will only pay for towing from or within a certain distance of a paved road. For us we sometimes camp off of Forest Service roads that are gravel and under some plans we wouldn't be covered, another reason we went with GS ERS.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #7

Bennettsville isn't exactly in the boonies. It is on a major thoroughfare to Myrtle Beach, one of the busiest areas on the east coast. What got me was that they told me the closest service they had was in Charlotte NC, some 2 hours west. If they can't cover a relatively busy area with someone within a half hour, where do they cover?

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #8

Allstate motor club RV road help here, I've used it a few times for my other vehicles, and have been satisfied. No "up front" money needed, and they will take your car home, if you choose to fix it yourself. I'm satisfied. You must tell them you want the extra RV coverage, or your broke down vehicle will be towed as requested, but your camper you may have been towing will stay right where it is, on the side of the road without RV specific coverage. That goes ditto for AAA. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #9
Ray

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful so far and I'll be checking back often to see if anyone else has any comments.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM   #10

Goodsam ERS here

2006 Avalanche 1500 w/6" lift
2007 Suburban 2500 4x4 w/4" lift
2008 Salem 26TBSS
P3 Controller
4 lil' ones & a Hottie for a wife
TravelSoftballDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #11

Goodsam ERS here as well.
TulsaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Ray

Many thanks to all that responded, it was very helpful.