Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #21

[QUOTE=mike.t;1186147]Not quite correct sir. They may not "tow" it however my daughter and her husband lost a wheel bearing on the trailer. AAA sent a flatbed and took it to CW for repairs.
[
Maybe because it was the trailer check your booklet .If it was your tv I bet they wouldn't tow the trailer.It happen to me twice .I file a claim against them they did pay for my tow job and gave me a free yr.Then I drop the RV part I still have them for towing I dont want to leave my toys a long the road
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:23 PM   #22

This is a Ford/Chevy type of question. Some like Coach Net and some like Good Sam.
But like some as said, like insurance but good to have. I have had Good Sam since 1998 and used them twice with my motorhome. First time about 12 years ago, we were pulling a tow car about 250 miles, pulled into campground site. Unhooked tow car and no brakes on car. Like a dummy, I did not release the emergency brake all the way and burned emergency brake cable and needed a brake job. I called Good Sam. The tow truck was out within the hour and towed my car to a garage, no charge.
Second time, my MH was parked in drive way. I checked the air in tires. Inside rear had no air. I tried to pump up and would not accept air. Called Good Sam and tow truck was out in about 1 1/2 hour. tow driver had to take off both tires and fixed flat. Charged me $90 which I did not think was right but paid. I called Good Sam, sent paper work and letter explaining issue. Good Sam reimbursed me the $90.
So both times, my bad experience, but good experience with Good Sam. I continue to carry Good Sam although I received a free 1 year for Coach Net. Never used Coach Net and dropped them, after one year, to keep Good Sam because they can used for all my car, truck, travel trailer, and boat trailer for myself and wife. Coach Net would only cover TT and tow truck. When renewing they said extra for adding other vechicles which made them more expensive then Good Sam.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:34 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropiccafe View Post
Coach-net does have the edge. We did call Good sam first...Their response was they only tow within so many miles. I would have to pay the rest myself. Coach-net although took 17 hrs was willing to take me to an authorized repair facility that would honor my warranty. They towed me about 125 miles. Good Sam would only take me the nearest facility to make repairs warranty or not and within so many miles. I was a long way from a service ctr.
So they are both bad but Coach-net is not as bad as GS
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:47 PM   #24

We have Good Sam. The only time we used it was when I locked the keys in the truck. They sent help quickly, no problem.
Goat Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:55 PM   #25

Coachnet. Used it 3 times in the first year we had the 5er. All 3 for flat tires. They were very good and quick. They must have a large network.
bplantcjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #26
Dahagen

I have GEICO. Cost is $10 for 6 months. I broke down on the freewy south of Phoenix and GEICO sent a wrecker within an hour, (big one) and towed us to a repair shop 55 miles away. Did not pay one penny and did not increase my insurance rates.
dahagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:26 PM   #27
Global Nomad

Coach Net or Good Sam

Because my 5th wheel is new, it came with Coach Net. I did join Good Sam and have that coverage also. Had a problem with my truck. AAA would only handle the truck because I did not have RV coverage with them. No problem. Called Good Sam and was on hold for over 2 hours, then because of the time of day (night) could not help me. In mean time called Coach Net, and they were very attentive to my situation. Next year, when time to renew, it is Coach Net.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (Center Kitchen Three Slides)

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 06:58 PM   #28

We have had GS Roadside Service 8 yrs, renewed yesterday. It's the only service we have had. during that time we have had 4 class As, and a 5er. Never used the service for the 6 mos we had the 5er. We have used it on 3 of the 4 class As. We have only had the 4th rig 2 mos.
Every time we called GS we received service, once being a broken door lock, part of the problem was that the rig was on a military base. GS found a repair service that was cleared by security to come on base, on a Sunday afternoon. So I am a fan.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:05 PM   #29

We have been using GS roadside assistance since we began camping 11 yrs ago. Have only had to use it once(Thankfully). We had a flat tire upon arrival at a campground in Upper Michigan. Called Good Sam and with the help of Campground owner had assistance in 30 minutes. Very happy with Good Sam Roadside assistance.
rhughsless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
I joined FROG & saw becoming a member would get me a free year to CN.

Tuckerdog1
I have not heard of that before.
Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 PM   #31

I think you have to look at all your options between the two; in other words what little extra goodies do you get, like free and discounted camping with Good Sam. As far as physical service, unless you're near a big city, it's going to be the same towing/repair service no matter which plan you have.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 PM   #32

Roadside service

I will weigh in on the side of Good Sam Roadside.
I've used them twice in 5 years and the coverage was a lot less than adding RV to my already expensive AAA ($175).
First time was a dummy rookie mistake clipping a curb with right outside dual.
Second was just a couple of weeks ago - BLEW right inside (of course) dual.
Was on the side of I-81 North just past Harrisonburg, VA.
Called Good Sam and the nice young lady asked if I was in a safe place.
Um, yeah..
If you consider 6 feet from the edge of a busy interstate "safe", on the shoulder pulled almost into the grass.
Within an hour they had a service tech there and between the 2 of us we had the spare down, tire changed, and blown tire back underneath in about a half hour. They called to ask if tech had arrived and told them so.
Later that evening I called them and told them "Thanks", they had done a good job. Which is a rare thing, they always hear the bad, but almost never the good.
I also carry a 3/4" drive breaker bar, socket, and good size cheater pipe along with the 20 ton bottle jack, just in case I'm really on my own.

Just my 2 centimes...

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:39 AM   #33

I have had several over the years. My main concern is how "far" they will tow. It cost a lot to tow a M/H. Good Sam sent two wreckers for my M/H and 30' Trailer when I broke down 7 miles from home. Sent a large wrecker several other time for break downs and twice for getting stuck in the yard (heavy rains and soft ground). Read coverage carefully.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #34

Thank You all for your replies! At this point, I'm thinking the winner will be GS, but I'm going to go through it all one more time!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:39 AM   #35

Good Info

Has anyone had any experience with CornerStone?
joel ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
Because my 5th wheel is new, it came with Coach Net. I did join Good Sam and have that coverage also. Had a problem with my truck. AAA would only handle the truck because I did not have RV coverage with them. No problem. Called Good Sam and was on hold for over 2 hours, then because of the time of day (night) could not help me. In mean time called Coach Net, and they were very attentive to my situation. Next year, when time to renew, it is Coach Net.
I would bet AAA wouldnt towed the camper bc it was your tv broke down.If you look back in this forum you would see what happen to me with AAA plus RV . Twice
Old 05-06-2016, 11:15 AM   #37

•This is from the aaa member guide . 100 miles of towing for recreational vehicles
(RVs), motorcycles and travel/boat trailers* that
have become mechanically disabled.Please read this carefully.It must be mechanically broke down.not the tv.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:58 AM   #38

Highway Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustB_Rad View Post
Hi All,

Since entering the RV world...I've had some freebies that came with units, along with being somewhat double covered by AAA thru a previous employer. Come June 10th....all freebies will have ended, and AAA expired in March due to a job switch...so we're looking at starting anew.

From my research, it looks like AAA is not only expensive with the RV Coverage, but not as RV Friendly as Good Sam and Coach-Net. GS and CN seem to be around the same price annually, except GS runs nice discounts (or at least currently is) for signing up ($30ish).

I'm looking for recommendations that will cover our 2 vehicles plus our Travel Trailer for towing and flats and won't break the bank every year. Who has done the best job for you at the best price level?

I don't want to be in a position that I say...gosh, if I had X insurance, things would be much different. However, I don't want/can't just flush money away to make sure EVERY possible thing is covered. Guess thats what sucks about insurance.....its the "In Case *$&# happens" scenarios.

Thanks!
Had Good Sam for a number of highway tire and damage problems. They proved good service and reportedly have a contract to Goodyear when you need to buy a new tire in the middle of the night.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #39

We have the good sam platinum plan and it has no preset mileage or dollar amount for towing as long as you go to the first place capable of fixing the problem. If you chose an alternate location then the can charge the extra miles. That being said when someone slashed the tires on my TV they had to tow it past one tire shop to another that i preferred that was 6 miles as opposed to 1 mile and they did it with no complaints or extra charge. We are very happy with them so far, 6 plus years.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote