Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #1

Roadside Assistance - Who to go with please!

Hi All,

Since entering the RV world...I've had some freebies that came with units, along with being somewhat double covered by AAA thru a previous employer. Come June 10th....all freebies will have ended, and AAA expired in March due to a job switch...so we're looking at starting anew.

From my research, it looks like AAA is not only expensive with the RV Coverage, but not as RV Friendly as Good Sam and Coach-Net. GS and CN seem to be around the same price annually, except GS runs nice discounts (or at least currently is) for signing up ($30ish).

I'm looking for recommendations that will cover our 2 vehicles plus our Travel Trailer for towing and flats and won't break the bank every year. Who has done the best job for you at the best price level?

I don't want to be in a position that I say...gosh, if I had X insurance, things would be much different. However, I don't want/can't just flush money away to make sure EVERY possible thing is covered. Guess thats what sucks about insurance.....its the "In Case *$&# happens" scenarios.

Thanks!

Life is good...Live it!
Nights Camped - (2014) - 16 in 6 trips (2015) - 20 in 6 trips
(2016) - 21 in 7 trips
(2017) - 12 in 3 and going seasonal for at least the rest of the year!
JustB_Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 AM   #2
Old Enough to Know Better

You will get multiple opinions on here, But I have Good Sam and have been happy with it.
gasman6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:49 PM   #3

Coach Net

Have used them and no complaints.
2OLDDIGGERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:55 PM   #4

AAA Premier covers travel trailers but not boat or ATV trailers. Good Sam does.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #5

It's a crap shoot as to which company you have and where you are when you need the service. Some services will do "A" while another won't. And it depends on which company is dispatched to your site as to what services they will perform. Some wrecker services will change an inside dual tire, some won't.
Even the company you go with won't be able to give you an exact answer simply because the responding service in Iowa is going to be different than one in Ga.
If you can afford it go with two separate plans. I have AAA premium and Good Sam Platinum. Total cost is around $260 a year. Too me, cheap enough for some piece of mind. And, I still carry my own spare tire/rim, bottle jacj, and impact wrench, and a compressor to change my own flat.
Just a matter of how prepared you are, or want to be.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:10 PM   #6

I have Good Sam and coach-net, maybe one will work out

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

We joined GS just as members. Did not get any roadside assist, etc. Membership was $25/yr. Feel we'll more than recoup that with discounts.
The good reviews for CN got me to get their $79/yr plan. Then a couple weeks later, I joined FROG & saw becoming a member would get me a free year to CN. But that ship had already sailed. Wish I'd joined FROG first.

Tuckerdog1

2016 RAM 2500 Cummins SLT Lone Star 4X4 LB
2016 Windjammer 3029W Platinum
I'm not an expert. But I play one on the internet.
You live & learn or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #8

i have good sams and have had to use it in the past worked for me
locogk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

We have Good Sam Platinum+. Although they no longer offer the "+" policy (I believe we lucked into this one when we bought our first MH from Camping World) and have kept it renewed since. We've had to use it twice and have been perfectly pleased with the service and punctually we received. Can't comment on Coach-Net personally. My brother carries Coach-Net but is shopping for another plan but one would think if he was pleased with their service, he would continue with them.
Old 05-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #10

We havd had Good Sam for many years and can say they have been terrific whdn you need help. The call takers have always been extremely caring, helpful and knowledgeable. They have gone above and beyond even when it was an issue not related to a covered item. It covers all my vehicles, trailers and motorcycle. The cost keeps going up but is still well worth the peace of mind.
OKpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:13 PM   #11

We have GS Roadside. It covers all our vehicles & any vehicle we may borrow or rent. I've had to use them twice. Once for when I locked the keys in the car late at night (we agreed they could come in the morning), they called back in the AM with a time and the service guy was prompt. 2nd time was for a blowout on the 5'er with tread wrapped around the axle. They asked if we were ok and in a safe location then dispatched a tire service truck which arrived in 45 minutes, helped me change the tire & checked for damage the tread caused. No other damage & we were on our way 40 minutes later! GS then followed up with another call to make sure he showed up & we were taken care of properly.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #12

Good timing! I have the GS Platinum also. My truck broke down last saturday at home. Had to be towed (computer went) Within an hour I was on the way to
the repair center. Cost me nothing!
head1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:35 PM   #13

We had CN for the first year of our purchase and were extremely happy with them and the service they provided. The following year, we went with GS because of cost and also the added coverage (our RV and all our vehicles). Either one is great, look at what each covers, the cost and chose the one that fits your requirements. You will not go wrong with either of them.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #14

I have AAA, Good Sam and Geico...Geico is the best. No questions asked come right to you. Change a flat, tow you to service area, bring you fuel if you run out and will send locksmith right to your door.
Excellent service.
AJAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:42 PM   #15

AAA
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #16

Geico

I have used Good Sam and Cachet. Both are very good for towing....I would give the edge to Coachnet though. Cheapest way to go is through your insurance carrier. It cost me under $8.00 a year to add towing to my policy.
You will have to pay the towing company and submit the bill. One good thing is you can use any company you want without trying to contact the insurance co and waiting for a tow truck that they dispatch maybe 100 miles away. It happened to me with Coachnet in Arizona. I called for a tow and Coachnet dispatched a tow that arrived the following day. I was stranded on the side of the road for 17 hours before the tow arrived.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #17

You give the edge to Coachnet yet the left you on the highway for 17 hours
Old 05-05-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

Don't use Triple A RV they will not pull your trailer. If you vehicle breaks down .I had break down twice I had to get somebody else to pull my toys home
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBass View Post
Don't use Triple A RV they will not pull your trailer. If you vehicle breaks down .I had break down twice I had to get somebody else to pull my toys home
Not quite correct sir. They may not "tow" it however my daughter and her husband lost a wheel bearing on the trailer. AAA sent a flatbed and took it to CW for repairs.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
You give the edge to Coach-net yet the left you on the highway for 17 hours
Coach-net does have the edge. We did call Good sam first...Their response was they only tow within so many miles. I would have to pay the rest myself. Coach-net although took 17 hrs was willing to take me to an authorized repair facility that would honor my warranty. They towed me about 125 miles. Good Sam would only take me the nearest facility to make repairs warranty or not and within so many miles. I was a long way from a service ctr.
Tropiccafe is offline   Reply With Quote