Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #1

Roadside service

Well I had it with Good Sams roadside assistance. I just switched to Coach-net. Had it when I called for a flat, after 3 hours waiting they sent a guy out in a car to change it. When he got there he asked if I had a jack, I said no. He then said he didn’t either and to call good Sams again. I was in Lumberton NC. I said forget it I called a tow company on my own and they where there within a half hour. I had to pay cash to the operator, when I called GS back they refused to reimburse me, saying that they didn’t send him out. Got home and cancelled everything, got a contract with Coach-net for Roadside on all my cars included plus roadside hazard, and medical assistant all included. GS did not have the hazard on my policy and I had to pay extra for there medical assistance. This is all covered by Coach-net and was cheaper then GS. This was the second time I had a problem with GS , we’ll never again.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:56 PM   #2

Good luck with Coachnet sir. I left them for the same reason you left GS. Called one time for a winch out and had to pay the driver $80 cash. Coachnet said sorry, not our problem. Sometimes I think we're just better off calling for ourselves and cash flowing the expense.

He who dies with the most tools, wins!
SilhouettePenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilhouettePenny View Post
Good luck with Coachnet sir. I left them for the same reason you left GS. Called one time for a winch out and had to pay the driver $80 cash. Coachnet said sorry, not our problem. Sometimes I think we're just better off calling for ourselves and cash flowing the expense.
Well , that’s not encouraging to hear for sure, when you called for service telling them you needed to be winched out and it wasn’t covered, why did they send you a wrecker to your site? I guess if I have a problem I’ll just cancel them to, bound to hit a good one sooner or later. Let’s hope I never need to be winched out of somewhere. They still have to be better then Good Sams, let’s hope I never have to find out. Many years ago when I bought my Rockwood 5er, I had to use them for a flat, but that is when FR included them free for your first year, I had no problem with them then, so I remembered the good service from Coach-Net then so I decided to go back to them.
Old 11-07-2019, 02:02 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well , that’s not encouraging to hear for sure, when you called for service telling them you needed to be winched out and it wasn’t covered, why did they send you a wrecker to your site? I guess if I have a problem I’ll just cancel them to, bound to hit a good one sooner or later. Let’s hope I never need to be winched out of somewhere. They still have to be better then Good Sams, let’s hope I never have to find out. Many years ago when I bought my Rockwood 5er, I had to use them for a flat, but that is when FR included them free for your first year, I had no problem with them then, so I remembered the good service from Coach-Net then so I decided to go back to them.
All of the services have great stories (for instance, Good Sam was golden to me when I broke a leaf spring on a Sunday in a Walmart parking lot) and war stories (each of yours). I've read the same about CoachNET and AAA. FMCA's roadside assistance, I haven't heard much from either way.

The trick is, you're at the mercy of who gets dispatched. They all use the same basic service providers. If they have someone good, great. If they have an idiot, ugh. If they have don't have someone or someone nearby, you wait and wait and may be crap-out-of-luck.

It's luck of the draw as to what you'll get any given call.

Sucks, but what can you do? (Other than save the money that you'd spend on them into a fund and hope it's enough when the time comes for needing it.)
Old 11-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #5

Of course on forums like this you mostly hear just the horror stories. I'm sure each of these roadside service vendors have plenty of satisfied customers too.

As stated, these roadside service vendors all use local contracted companies. It's a crap shoot to say the least. I've had good response in some areas and woefully TERRIBLE in others. Here is what I learned over the years:
1) Set your expectations low. Don't expect 30 minute service but rather anticipate hours. Have games on your phone available to pass the time.
2) Don't expect a ton of communication. You'll be told a time and hear nothing when the time comes and goes.
3) Expect that when the dispatch comes, they will act surprised when you tell them what is wrong. Goes back to #2 ---- they don't communicate even with the contracted companies let alone you
4) Handle some of the simple things yourself. For example, after having tire problems over the years, I now have a full ensemble of tools that allow me to change tires on my TV or 5er in minutes (almost NASCAR like). I carry a generator in the truck, electric 1/2" impact wrench and hydraulic jacks that can have the rig up, tires off and the new one on in minutes.

I guess when picking a company it's a matter of who sucks less and good luck figuring that one out!
Old 11-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
For example, after having tire problems over the years, I now have a full ensemble of tools that allow me to change tires on my TV or 5er in minutes (almost NASCAR like). I carry a generator in the truck, electric 1/2" impact wrench and hydraulic jacks that can have the rig up, tires off and the new one on in minutes.
Unfortunately, that's not an option for most motorhome users.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #7

Well, I thought that if I was stuck that winching my MH , was covered don’t know why penny had to pay, they just got back to me saying that Coach-Net will cover it up to even 2 trucks and 2 drivers are needed, I’ll try an post there answer to me, but they did say I’m covered, but also I don’t have the entry level agreement. I understand the point of being able to change my own tire, I used to do it, but health and age now it’s not a smart idea anymore, wish I could but that is why I looked at a bunch of different services. I’ll try and post there responds from a screen shotClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1198.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	218808

Old 11-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #8

It’s hard to read, but it says 1 truck 2 hrs, or 2 trucks 1 hour, after that time I’m responsible for any extra time. So I guess it’s what is in your policy,

Old 11-07-2019, 05:03 PM   #9
Brake is on left

We have used AMA for years. They have not let us down yet.... Used them for a Jump start, TV wheel swap (I had a dislocated shoulder) and a class A tire change. Luck of the draw though. The providers are all the same. The class A change took a 2nd provider to come out though. The first one was not prepared for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Unfortunately, that's not an option for most motorhome users.
Why is that?
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Why is that?
Lack of spare, lack of location to store a spare, weight of spare, and the tools to properly torque the lugnuts can be prohibitively expensive.

At least from my reading.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #11
Brake is on left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Lack of spare, lack of location to store a spare, weight of spare, and the tools to properly torque the lugnuts can be prohibitively expensive.

At least from my reading.
Hmm. I see a lot of them with spares on the rear. Though that might require a receiver hitch or the loss of the use of it for a trailer. Two folks I know have it mounted underneath the house part and one has it on the front bumper. The guy with the class A has a tire only carried in a compartment. (edit- class A is a whole different animal)
My electric impact takes off/ puts on my truck lug nuts just fine and they are 160 lb-ft. My torque wrench was $150.

I'm not dismissing the idea of cost, especially if one has to buy all of that for only the reason of keeping the rolling home rolling. Coming from the racing scene we all have the tools already.
The Evil Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witch Doctor View Post
Well, I thought that if I was stuck that winching my MH , was covered don’t know why penny had to pay, they just got back to me saying that Coach-Net will cover it up to even 2 trucks and 2 drivers are needed, I’ll try an post there answer to me, but they did say I’m covered, but also I don’t have the entry level agreement. I understand the point of being able to change my own tire, I used to do it, but health and age now it’s not a smart idea anymore, wish I could but that is why I looked at a bunch of different services. I’ll try and post there responds from a screen shotAttachment 218808
You know if you read carefully what they printed on winching service, sounds to me if you needed to be towed after it is included, but if I ran off the road in a ditch or couldn't get out of a camp space because of mud or snow, maybe that would be questionable....well I just hope it is never needed.... as they say buyer beware...

Old 11-09-2019, 10:56 AM   #13

We have Xtraride coverage. Just had bearings and axel go bad on TT. They were really good. Dispatched a tow and kept checking back every 15-20 minutes until tow arrived. The axel was bad enough and required a tractor trailer flat bed, they cover $1000 on the tow and we had to pay a little out of pocket. They are covering the repairs and parts minus our $100 deductible and parts shipping. Still a few bucks out of pocket but saving is far more than the policy originally cost. And we all know sooner or later something WILL breakdown.
sunnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnman View Post
We have Xtraride coverage. Just had bearings and axel go bad on TT. They were really good. Dispatched a tow and kept checking back every 15-20 minutes until tow arrived. The axel was bad enough and required a tractor trailer flat bed, they cover $1000 on the tow and we had to pay a little out of pocket. They are covering the repairs and parts minus our $100 deductible and parts shipping. Still a few bucks out of pocket but saving is far more than the policy originally cost. And we all know sooner or later something WILL breakdown.

May I ask what is Xtraride? Is that a extended service policy? Is not a roadside service is it? Either way seems they took care of you, where did they tow you to ? Was it the closest dealer or an independent shop? Where you traveling when this happened. Sure sounds like they treated right, that is something positive for sure. I bet you saved a few grand right there with the tow included.

Tags
service