Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Cover Dog
Rockwood 8280 or Wildcat 282RKX ???

Went to Hershey with the hopes of seeing either or both, but neither were there. Almost identical floor plans but the Wildcat weights #850 more. It also has #1581 more cargo capacity (3401 vs 1820).

We like the larger hot water tank (10g vs 6g), fridge (8cf vs 6cf) 16" wheels/tires (load range E) and the larger fresh/waste water tanks on the WC but the exterior color of the Rockwood Diamond Pkg. is more appealing then the white exterior of the WC.

Have priced out both with dual air & 50 amp service along with most of the other options available. Trying to compare apples to apples. Since this will be our first trailer of any kind is there something I am missing in trying to make a decision on which to go with?

Any and all opinions will be welcome...

TV is a 2013 F150 Lariat 4x4 Eco-Boost 6.5' bed, 3.73 gears, Max Tow & HD Payload. Available payload #2162
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 PM   #2

In my opinion, I'd go with the trailer that is going to fit into your style more. It's tough as you mentioned it is your first trailer. The diamond package is a nice exterior color scheme but, to me inside matters more as it is the functionality of the trailer that long term will probably decide how happy you are with it.

Do you have children or will family be camping with you? Will it just be you and your wife? The 10g HW and larger fridge are a nicer feature if you will need to pack more food in the fridge and if you plan on going out for an extended period of time, that's why I ask. If you plan on taking longer trips, the WC is probably the way to go.

It most likely has the E rated tires since it is rated at a much higher GVWR.

Also, not trying to be the weight police by any means but, keep an eye on your payload. It's alot for a half ton truck but, both of those 5ver's probably have a loaded pin weight of 1500-1800lbs or more which leaves you with little payload left for a hitch, cargo in the truck, passengers and fuel. Most payload ratings are with a 150lb driver and half a tank of fuel.

There are alot of people who do pull them and I think the truck would pull it fine but, you'll probably be over the payload.

Just something worth pointing out since you mentioned it's your first trailer.

Hope you'll get alot of responses, this is a great group! Happy Camping and let us know what you decide!
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Flagstaffer06.... thanks for the reply. Just my wife and I will be traveling, my daughter has her own family. Will be out for about 30 straight days in the fall of 2014.

Should be close on the payload numbers, but with just the 2 of us I'm thinking we'll be okay. Ford states 150lb driver and full tank of fuel (36gal) included in the payload numbers. Truck has a GVW of #8200.

Read your profile, I had a 2004 Titan LE that I let go when I got the Ford.

Cover Dog....
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #4

Awesome, yea I think you'll be fine then. If you do alot of cooking, the amenities of the larger fridge would be nice as I mentioned. Also, the 10 gallon HW is nice too so you don't have to worry too much about running out as quickly. At the same time though, with it only being the two of you, those features may not be entirely necessary.

With just the two of you, I think you'd be fine with either one just watch how you load it and take it to a scale after you get one. There are some links in the library section on that.

It might be best to try and see one in person, if you are able to find a dealer that has one or both in stock. Although, it might be tough.

The Titan does a great job for us and our travel trailer. MPG isn't that great but, that's expected when towing. Although you should do well with the Ecoboost. There are some folks pulling 5vers with Titan's even.

Hang in there, I'm sure you'll get some more opinions tomorrow.
Flagstaffer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #5

We will be visiting the wildcat factory on Wednesday.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 AM   #6

I would suggest that the amount of weight you will put into the rig will surprise you. Having more hot water is a very nice option and running out of it makes for unhappy campers! So I would pick functionality before looks and plan on carrying the extra weight. Whichever one you choose load it up and get it weighed. Your truck should be fine but it will be close.
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #7

Both floorplans have a rear kitchen which will help keeping the hitch weight "low" when you load the fridge, pantry and the kitchen cabinets ready to travel.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

We've had our 8280WS for 4 years now without any major problems...still very happy with the camper.

The higher CCC on the Wildcat would indicate to me that it has a heavy frame and axles though I'd be surprised if you'd pack more than 1000 lbs in the camper.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
Site Team

agree with Dave, the Rockwood is an ultra-light trailer and the Wildcat is not.
the Wildcat would be more durable and solid and better for longer/extended trips.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, cat, rockwood, wildcat