Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2017, 12:36 PM   #1

Rockwood 8288

As stated in my signature I'm searching for a newer FR 5er and am getting closer to selecting a newer rig but have a question regarding this vacuum bagging 6-sided construction. Rumors are this process provides a more solid construction and minimizes opportunity for delamination issues. Hum..

Stopped at a Rockwood dealer yesterday and salesman stated that pinch roll or vacuum wall construction both have delamination potential but it is less with the vacuum construction. It also depends on how well you stay on top of seam inspection and maintenance, which was already a given. He also stated that he keeps his camper covered, when not in use, year round.

Well that just sucks because not one of the rigs in the outside lot had covers!! On to the next dealer I guess.

If anyone has this vacuum bag construction on their rig can you describe the maintenance needs pro or con to the pinch roll style construction?
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:36 PM   #2

Can someone from the site team please move this. I didn't notice that I wasn't in the correct location when I posted it. Thank you
Bob & Cindy
Old 01-19-2017, 02:52 PM   #3

I don't think that there is any difference in the maintenance. All campers are going to need to have the roof inspected and resealed if needed yearly. I always check mine at the beginning of each season. Sometimes you have to reseal several areas, sometimes you don't. You will also have to check around the window seals and any other point where the walls or roof will have an opportunity to let in water. My last trailer never had a leak that I found in the 10 years we owned it. If I saw sealer that was starting to look bad I would either seal over it or remove it and clean it then reseal it.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

So how are the flush frameless windows sealed?
Bob & Cindy
Old 01-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #5

I'll have to wait on someone else for that. I have only had my new trailer a couple months and haven't inspected it yet.
bigmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM   #6

On the newer Rockwoods the frame less windows are sealed with a foam gasket. They are not really frameless.

Pinch rolled or vacuum bonded makes no difference if you have a bad enough leak. Vacuum bonding is more consistent pressing all the layers together.....in theory. IMO it comes down to if the worker who was laying down the adhesive knew what he was doing and that's a crapshoot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forest River Forums mobile app
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #7
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
So how are the flush frameless windows sealed?
Frameless windows are put in the same way as framed windows. There's a ring on the inside and screws go from the inside ring to the outside window structure and are tightened to squeeze the two halves of the window together. There is usually a foam/butyl seal strip between the side of the trailer and the window structure which makes a seal to the wall.

Often, a cap seal (a bead of caulk applied where the frame of the window meets the side of the trailer, across the top and down the sides past the curve) is used too. This caulking helps insure against leaks

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Frameless windows are put in the same way as framed windows. There's a ring on the inside and screws go from the inside ring to the outside window structure and are tightened to squeeze the two halves of the window together. There is usually a foam/butyl seal strip between the side of the trailer and the window structure which makes a seal to the wall.

Often, a cap seal (a bead of caulk applied where the frame of the window meets the side of the trailer, across the top and down the sides past the curve) is used too. This caulking helps insure against leaks
I heading to a dealer soon. I just can't picture how the windows are attached and then sealed. I've been inside all day on this keyboard so the trip will do me some good. I'm visualizing silicon holding the windows on and I know that's not how it's done. Note that I now have an excuse to go spend money or at least think about it, yeah!! See ya - I'm gone for awhile

BTW thanks everyone for the information you provided
Bob & Cindy
Old 01-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #9

Quote:

And why are these supposed to be better than frame windows? I have the frameless ones on my RV, and they look nice, but I always wondered what the difference was.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
And why are these supposed to be better than frame windows? I have the frameless ones on my RV, and they look nice, but I always wondered what the difference was.

Supposed is a big word
In hindsight I wish I would of ordered our Roo with the conventional sliders / jalousies. Even after modifying the operators so the frame less open further they still suck IMO, but the wife likes them for some reason so no going back now.

Quote:
5picker, was your Rockwood caulked around the top and sides from the factory? Ours wasn't. I was told its not needed by the factory. Also there is no butyl tape used on ours, just the closed cell foam gasket. IMO a piss poor method only used to decrease costs. Mine are now caulked and since I only have 3 to deal with I have considered pulling them all and re installing with butyl, as I have already done to all the exterior lights.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

Never made it to the dealership yesterday but am planning to go today. I know it may appear that I'm dragging out the final decision to purchase but I've moved fast before and it bit me sometimes. I really like the features of the Rockwood and am only now really discovering how different it is from my existing SOB rig. Granted 2016 vs 2010 is gonna show newer and usually better appeal on the surface but want to make sure I lift the hood and check it out so I know what I'm getting myself into.

Tried to get my wife to go window shopping but she wants to wait until I've reduced the selection a little.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Bob & Cindy
Old 01-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #12

I agree with her,"Thin the Herd"! Youroo!!
Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
5picker, was your Rockwood caulked around the top and sides from the factory? Ours wasn't. I was told its not needed by the factory. Also there is no butyl tape used on ours, just the closed cell foam gasket. IMO a piss poor method only used to decrease costs. Mine are now caulked and since I only have 3 to deal with I have considered pulling them all and re installing with butyl, as I have already done to all the exterior lights.
Yes and no!

My Flagstaff has BOTH kinds of windows, frameless in the exterior walls and then in the sides of two of the slide-outs are more traditional framed windows.

My frameless windows are not cap sealed where my slide-out windows are.
The frameless have foam seals which you can clearly see. It appears the slide-out windows have butyl behind them.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood