Washed the roof but the lines remain ...Click image for larger version

Name:	superflextporoof.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	214600

Old 09-10-2019, 12:37 PM   #2
Commercial Member

dcavaiani,

We would be happy to assist you with this question. Please contact Lisa Goodwin in our Customer service department through the following personalized and direct link: http://www.forestriverinc.com/Direct...37193749458745.

This direct link is provided for your convenience in order that we may resolve your concerns as quickly as possible. We will strive to respond to you within 24 hours of receiving your correspondence.

Respectfully,
Forest River

ES_FR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #3

Correspondence between Forest River and me on ISSUE

Can you tell me what your using to clean with and how often you clean the roof?

(me)2-3 times per year with a soft brush and just diluted Dawn. It's that way all across the top on the seams.

(me)I also put 303 on all the outside decals and the rubber seams and then cover the siding with a waxing, but nothing else on the roof!

It appears to just be dirt and grime, all I can do is recommend using a stiff bristle brush and a mild detergent

(me)Been doing some research on this. Could it be mold across all the seams - due to temperature differences or insulation issues? Are the seams wood or aluminum ?? I wonder why no one on Forest River Forum is responding ?

That is possible the roof rafter are wood, it could also be from being parked under a tree and from sap

(me)OK, any possibility on the mold appearing only along the rafters/seams appears to be an issue which will have to either be addressed by Forest River now, or at a time soon in the future, right ??

(me)If there is any possibility of a design flaw, then I want this issue to be placed on record so that any future damage related to any design flaw will be fully documented for any needed future corrective actions.

When was the last time you sealed the roof or how often do you reseal it with self-leveling seal

(me)Just did so last week. Basically, just a dab of Dicor here and there. Barely any was needed !

Ok then, this could be a lack of maintenance the roof is to be resealed a minimum of twice a year depending on climate where your located, and the sides (windows, compartment doors, entry doors, and the front cap) all need to be resealed with an all-weather seal every 3 months depending on climate where your located.

(me)You are grasping at straws and making little sense to me now. Let's stop the nonsense here Todd. When you are ready to honestly address this, please get back to me at that time. This will remain an "open" item into the future - as long as it takes to prove that the camper is not actually being damaged now and which damage MAY show up for down the road.

Iím not grasping at straws, your manufacturing warranty has been up for two years, however the manufacture of the rubber roof membrane has a longer warranty in which you can contact them at the above attachment.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #4

Have you considered that it is just dirt? I would try using an all purpose cleaner on an area and use a soft or medium brush to hand scrub that area. I really do not think that a dish soap mixture is adequate for cleaning deeply. I would go get some Fantastic or my most favored APC (All Purpose Cleaner) is Meguiar's APC mixed at 10:1.

A gallon of APC should last you years as it makes 10 gallons of cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-D101.../dp/B0006SH4GE
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 Iron Bull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:05 PM   #5

LARRY - I am gonna go up there and scrub on hands and knees ;-) Do u REALLY THINK that's all that it is ???
Old 09-12-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Ok then, this could be a lack of maintenance the roof is to be resealed a minimum of twice a year depending on climate where your located, and the sides (windows, compartment doors, entry doors, and the front cap) all need to be resealed with an all-weather seal every 3 months depending on climate where your located.
That seems awfully excessive. Especially if he's talking about sealing the entire roof.

I've always thought that the roof was fairly maintenance-free aside from checking the caulking on the seams a few times a year.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #7

Absolutely !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
That seems awfully excessive. Especially if he's talking about sealing the entire roof.

I've always thought that the roof was fairly maintenance-free aside from checking the caulking on the seams a few times a year.
Absolutely !!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcavaiani View Post
LARRY - I am gonna go up there and scrub on hands and knees ;-) Do u REALLY THINK that's all that it is ???
That just looks like typical dirt/water staining on the roof membrane to me. I detail cars on the side, and honestly I would use a medium deck brush and Meguiar's APC and I really expect that the bulk of that will fade away with minor mechanical agitation (scrubbing). Note that your likely not ever going to return it to a pure white, zero stained finish. But I bet it will come a lot cleaner with a more appropriate cleaning agent.

Seriously go try a quality APC of your choosing and test on a sample spot and see what you get.

Also note that I am not a strong fan of using dish soap designed to strip all oils from surfaces on any vehicles unless I want to strip the finish prior to applying a ceramic or nano glass coating. While it's not a great cleaner from a dirt/stain perspective, it is great at stripping the surface of any desirable oils that are desired within a rubber like product.

There are also RV roof cleaning products made specifically for this job. I've never used them, but that is an option. Type RV Roof Cleaner in on Amazon and you'll note that there are a handful of products available.

APC from Meg has fabric softener and UV protection built in, and I buy it in 5 gallon bulk containers along with other Meg professional detailing products, so for me it is my go-to. I would recommend that you buy a gallon since it is a fantastic cleaner for all of your fabric and hard surfaces in your home, cars or RV.
2019 Quality Trailers 16'x7' 7K GVWR Utility Trailer
2019 Iron Bull 22'x102" 14K GVWR Equipment Trailer
Larry0071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #9

With just one pic, it's kind of hard to tell exactly what we're looking at and what you're concerned about.

My camper has obvious lines at each seam of the roof underlayment just like yours. The rift sticks up just a bit. Made me very concerned when I first saw it. Dealer and FR both told me "its normal".

It hasn't gotten worse so I dont worry about it.

With your pic, is the darkness:
- A shadow
- Dirt
- Roof deterioration

If it were me, I'd only be concerned if the roof were deteriorating. If it is dirt, id try to clean it up a bit but I wouldn't sweat it.

Hope that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:47 AM   #10

Went up and scrubbed away at the rafter seams. Got about 90% of it off. There were a couple of extra troublesome lines which I cud not get off completely. Appears to be a slight indentation along those tougher stained rafters where the dirt and moisture cud accumulate longer.

Tags
roo, roof