Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

rookie mistake

So, I am a newbie on my first RV A 2016 Shamrock 183FTL bought new two weeks ago. . I made a boneheaded rookie mistake; I thought if I pulled the trailer brake pin, in addition to chalking all the wheels it would help stabilize the trailer like your emergency brake on your vehicle. I now know that it will totally drain your batteries, and I have since learned that lesson the hard way.
I have a couple of questions in my effort to manage my school of hard knocks decisions.

1. Do I need to bet a new batteries(s) x2 wired in parallel? Can I put them on a trickle charger and bring them back to life.?

2. What's the likely hood I inadvertently damaged my trailer breaks? ( I have a friend who was a truck driver and auto mechanic, I will probably be asking him to take a look.

Well, live and learn I guess.
shamwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:20 AM   #2

Contact the Axle MFG "Dexter" and ask them about the Brakes! They will give you proper Info! Youroo!!
Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #3

Your batteries don't like to be fully discharged. Sort of like the 9 lives of a cat, you lost at least one life on your batteries. Make sure the electrolyte level is good and add distilled water, if needed. I would try a trickle charger for a few hours and then let the camper converter charge them up for a day or two. Then take them to your local auto parts store and ask them to test them for you. Chances are you did not hurt your brakes, but they should be checked to be sure. If you can jack up one wheel at a time after you have good batteries re-installed, you can spin the wheel and pull the brake pin and verify the brakes lock. Put the brake pin back in and move to the next wheel. If they all lock, you are good. Make sure you know what you are doing when jacking up a wheel and only raise it enough to allow you to spin the wheel. Only place a jack where the U-bolts attach to the axle.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

Thank you that makes sense I appreciate your your reply
shamwow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo