Old 04-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #11

I drove about 30 miles with the tv antenna all the way up on the jayco 23rb I used to have.
Going down I64 outside of St. Louis and a guy passed me and was waving at me and pointing up.
I felt pretty dumb but there wasn't any damage.

KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #12

I don't consider myself a rookie. But a few weeks ago we were out for the first time this year, and I went to empty the tanks, and the last one, the kitchen grey water, came gushing out like Old Faithful. Apparently I didn't close the valve after dumping on our last trip last year. Point being- it doesn't take a rookie to make a rookie mistake.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:37 PM   #13

Our first trip (and my first time camping in anything other than a tent), we pulled in and started setting up. Couldn't figure out why plus weren't working, AC wasn't working etc. Turns out he thought I plugged it in. I thought he plugged it in. Now we have his jobs and her jobs and we check each other's jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #14

QUOTE=Asrabbit;1149821]I will admit my mistake and I hope someone will feel a little sorry for me. My wife was taking off pulling the camper for the first time and without me along. I went out and got everything hooked up for her and set the sway bar on the back bumper of the truck, (who knows why I did that). Got everything ready. We did a light check, brake check, walk around etc. Well, she took off and all was happy. About 3 minutes later I remembered what I had done. I called her and she was only 4 miles from home. She looked and no sway bar on the bumper. I told her to just pull over and wait so I could drive down the road and see if I could find it. Two trips down the road and I could not find the bar. The earth ate it. So, I had used the sway bar on only one trip and had to buy a replacement. I guess I will not set anything on the bumper again. I am still waiting for someone to set up a go fund me page, but it has not happened yet.[/QUOTE]
The bumper is definitely a bad place to put things. That's where I left my bumper end cap.
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:37 AM   #15

I found another mistake yesterday while I was repairing the road-rashed slinky (I only had to cut off about a foot of it). When I finished, I decided to do a walk around and make sure everything was off because we won't be taking it out again for five or six weeks. I checked the control panel and was surprised to see the battery wasn't fully charged (We had only had the lights on for a few minutes on battery power as we unloaded). I looked around and found the culprit . . . we had forgotten to turn off the heater when we left the campground so it had been turning on whenever it got cold (Fortunately it doesn't get that cold here in San Diego). We really need to make a checklist.
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #16

Swaybar tool

I too did that on our maiden voyage, only I was driving. Called the kids to drive part way but they never found it. The earth ate mine too. They cost $35. Pm me if you want to set up a go fund me account.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:42 PM   #17

Did this last weekend. Did a poor back in job the first time (slide hit pedestal), so only partially pulled up the electric tongue jack, frustrated, in a hurray. Plenty of room right? oops, no WDH hitch, had already taken that off. Big curb, bam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-05-05 18.02.32.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	596.7 KB
ID:	107402  
Old 05-09-2016, 07:58 PM   #18

Left a knife block on the kitchen counter and let me tell you those sharp knives make nice holes on the vinyl floor

Our last trip out backed into our site, disconnected the truck, pulled the truck around out of the way and realized didn't level side to side. Back truck up, jook up, pull forward, throw boards down, back up again, awesome level. Disconnect pull around again. Level front to back, get power cord out and stupid cord is 2' too short. Damn it, try this a third time back up, hook up, pull forward, move level blocks back four feet, back up, disconnect and pull around again. Finally good to go.

Wive comes back walking the puppies wondering what was taking so long. She still doesn't know to this day I was having a major brain fart
Old 05-09-2016, 08:06 PM   #19

First time out by myself... Got backed in, set up, sat down and had just cracked my first beer. A guy pulls up beside me and says "Hey buddy. I think you're in my spot." Sure enough, I was the next site over. Fortunately for me, my site was much better, so he quickly agreed to swap me spots.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrabbit View Post
I will admit my mistake and I hope someone will feel a little sorry for me. My wife was taking off pulling the camper for the first time and without me along. I went out and got everything hooked up for her and set the sway bar on the back bumper of the truck, (who knows why I did that). Got everything ready. We did a light check, brake check, walk around etc. Well, she took off and all was happy. About 3 minutes later I remembered what I had done. I called her and she was only 4 miles from home. She looked and no sway bar on the bumper. I told her to just pull over and wait so I could drive down the road and see if I could find it. Two trips down the road and I could not find the bar. The earth ate it. So, I had used the sway bar on only one trip and had to buy a replacement. I guess I will not set anything on the bumper again. I am still waiting for someone to set up a go fund me page, but it has not happened yet.
Did a similar thing in that I left the short length of pipe I use on the WDH chains to lock and unlock. Left it on the bumper after disconnecting, never to be seen again and only noticed when getting ready to leave campground. Stopped at a big box on the way home and got two. There are some things that are best described as "2 is 1 and 1 is none". Love redundancy.

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2017: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo