Old 04-01-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
Rookie Mistakes

Ok, so I did something stupid on our maiden voyage this past week and it gave me an idea. I thought it might be fun to start a thread where everybody shares their rookie mistakes.

Here's mine.
Everything had gone great on our camping trip to Carpenteria State Beach. We were packed and ready to go. I stopped at the dump station to empty the tanks and then we were on our way back home. About an hour into the drive south a woman flagged me down to tell me my sewer hose was dragging behind the trailer. I pulled over and quickly realized why. I forgot to put the end cap back on my bumper when I put the hose back. Now it's time to buy a new stinky slinky and end cap. Fortunately it wasn't too expensive of a mistake

Kyle, Dani, DD1, DD2
2006 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab Prerunner V6
2016 Rockwood Roo 19 (2016-)
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:08 PM   #2
Site Team
You might enjoy the posts in this existing thread:

Camping Bloopers or Funny Stories

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 01:21 PM   #3
Not really my error, but on our maiden voyage to the local cg with our brand new Roo, my DH pulled too close to the guard house and took out both our slide topper and several feet of siding on the house. Seems he was still thinking he was pulling our popup. Luckily other than trashing the slide topper, no real damage to the camper or the guard house.
2016 Roo 21SS
2005 Ford Excursion-Sherman
Mods so far:
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
On various occasions we have: forgotten to secure inside doors/cabinets/ drawers with resulting spillage and damage; left bag of shoes behind in our driveway; totally forgot to pack diapers and forgot to pack underwear.

2015 Silverado gas ext cab 2500
2014 Flagstaff 8528IKWS🇺🇸
greymedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #5
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
You might enjoy the posts in this existing thread:

Camping Bloopers or Funny Stories
Thanks, there are definitely some good ones on that thread. I thought it would be fun to have this thread devoted to those mistakes made the first time out.
Kyle, Dani, DD1, DD2
2006 Toyota Tacoma Doublecab Prerunner V6
2016 Rockwood Roo 19 (2016-)
SDPadsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
We were packing up and ready to go.Wife asked me to do something .Forgot what I was doing
Started to raise the 5'ver up to load it on my truck.Hydraulics front legs kept sounding like a gear was busting.All of sudden the 5'ver shifted and rolled back a bit Remembered then I forgot to put the rear jacks up
Thank God for the wheel chocks not letting it roll backwards .
Learn from our mistakes and don't listen to the wife while your doing your walk around
2007.5 Chevy 3500Ltz cc lb Duramax
2010 Sandpiper 345 RET (SOLD)
hrlyguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #7
1st trip out I got all backed into my spot at the cg on Labor Day weekend while 2 others were waiting on me to clear the road. Didn't go too bad got all unhooked pulled the truck across the road to park, got all the stabilizer jacks down, electric hooked up, and sewer hose. Dw gets ready to roll the slide out and then it hits me..... Didn't leave enough room for the slide to clear the electric pole. SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 ram 2500
2016 Cherokee 274dbh
Knightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 PM   #8
We brought or son's friend along on a week long trip to Lake in Wood Campground in PA. Instead of a suitcase or duffel bag, his mother had put all of his clothes in black plastic bags. Well, nobody told me. I was wondering why we had so much trash to throw in the dumpster on the way out. We didn't realize what had happened until we got home to Virginia and his mother came over to pick him up. That's one way to take care of the laundry.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
When I had my hybrid we got everything set up. Slide out, beds out and made up, awning out and jacks down. Sat down and looked under the trailer and realized we (I) had not leveled the trailer. Checked it and it was way off side to side. Had to close it all back up and start over. Momma wasn't happy.
Retired Fire Dept Battalion Chief
2016 Ever-Lite 232RBS
2012 F150 FX4 W/Max tow & Ecoboost

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 AM   #10
I will admit my mistake and I hope someone will feel a little sorry for me. My wife was taking off pulling the camper for the first time and without me along. I went out and got everything hooked up for her and set the sway bar on the back bumper of the truck, (who knows why I did that). Got everything ready. We did a light check, brake check, walk around etc. Well, she took off and all was happy. About 3 minutes later I remembered what I had done. I called her and she was only 4 miles from home. She looked and no sway bar on the bumper. I told her to just pull over and wait so I could drive down the road and see if I could find it. Two trips down the road and I could not find the bar. The earth ate it. So, I had used the sway bar on only one trip and had to buy a replacement. I guess I will not set anything on the bumper again. I am still waiting for someone to set up a go fund me page, but it has not happened yet.

AS Rabbit
2016 Wildwood 195BH
2009 Silverado 1500
Asrabbit is online now   Reply With Quote