Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #21
Professional Texan

The Map Police
A proud division of the weight police

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #22

Thanks for all of the replies. I am aware there aren't rules, but just wanted to know what most people do. As a military guy who was formerly a military child, I've lived all over the states. If I inlcuded those states, all I'd have left is everything north of Connecticut and Rhode Island, Hawaii, and a handful of interior states. For that reason, I just use my map for places I've used an RV overnight, not including Pilots and Walmart parking lots. My two big trips to VA and TX did most of the damage.
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #23

New camper

Another question about the states camped in. Do you start over when you get a new camper or do you still count the states visited in your old camper. Just wondering what other do.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:52 PM   #24

I was reluctant to stick a state map on my TT for a number of reasons so my solution was to purchase a piece of clear acrylic sheet (18"x24" I think) that would meet my needs, I then drilled a hole at the top of the sheet near either corner, used a piece of decorative chain so the sign can be hung up, attached (stuck) the United States map on one side of the piece of acrylic, stuck on the states I have camped in and stick on the states that are new to me once I camp in them. I then have chosen to use the back side of the acrylic sheet as a place to collect stickers from many of the campgrounds I visit as well as stickers collected during sightseeing excursions. I now have a portable map/sticker board that can go with me in whatever camper I own. Right now I hang the sign off the front window cover on my TT but it can also be hung from a post or off the tongue jack on the TT. I am enjoying picking just the right stickers (can't be too big and take up too much room) and deciding where to place it (front or back of the sign) and I really enjoy the memories that are associated with each sticker as camping is definitely my happy place. I just randomly add stickers on the back of the sign in no particular order. I also collect magnets and attach them to my stove hood but it's getting full!
"Know yourself, know your world. Change it." Anonymous
kittlecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #25
RailwayRog

Yes we do this too but the selection of magnets sometimes can get overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post
We don't do a map, but at the first time camping in a new place, we get a small magnet from that place to mount on our stove hood. It's surprising, but we have quite a few that kinda resemble each other as far as layout and type and stuff.

We put them on the hood in the same order we camped in. Its a nice reminder of the times in the camper.

Tim
RailwayRog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 10:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Your map your rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
The Map Police
A proud division of the weight police

I like both of these posts...
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:19 AM   #27

Ive been to nearly every state growing up, vacationing. My wife grew up in Germany and has not done much traveling since moving here. So I don't count anywhere that ive been without my wife and kids in our new camper. So my map only has 3 states on it.
Finster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:02 AM   #28
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittlecat View Post
I was reluctant to stick a state map on my TT for a number of reasons so my solution was to purchase a piece of clear acrylic sheet (18"x24" I think) that would meet my needs, I then drilled a hole at the top of the sheet near either corner, used a piece of decorative chain so the sign can be hung up, attached (stuck) the United States map on one side of the piece of acrylic, stuck on the states I have camped in and stick on the states that are new to me once I camp in them. I then have chosen to use the back side of the acrylic sheet as a place to collect stickers from many of the campgrounds I visit as well as stickers collected during sightseeing excursions. I now have a portable map/sticker board that can go with me in whatever camper I own. Right now I hang the sign off the front window cover on my TT but it can also be hung from a post or off the tongue jack on the TT. I am enjoying picking just the right stickers (can't be too big and take up too much room) and deciding where to place it (front or back of the sign) and I really enjoy the memories that are associated with each sticker as camping is definitely my happy place. I just randomly add stickers on the back of the sign in no particular order. I also collect magnets and attach them to my stove hood but it's getting full!
I like this idea! Just might run this by DW for future reference.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:17 AM   #29

Our rules: If a camper we own or owned has been set up and slept in at least 1 night in a State it goes on the map. If the camper's wheels have been rolled through the State it does not count.
2018 25 2019 25
2020 24 2021 28 2022 302023 30
Coolharts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #30
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have 2 maps. One on the outside for the nights spent in a state and the other is a magnetic one that hangs inside. That one belongs to my daughter and she places a magnet on each state she has visited, whether in the camper or not.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 12:04 PM   #31

I have seen some very interesting and creative map placement ideas. The one I like best was a fellow Berkshire owner that put their map on the outside wall of their slide-out.

We also adhere to Rule 1: you must camp in a state for it to count. For us, Wal-Marts/Cracker Barrels/Rest Areas do not count - YMMV
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote