Old 06-28-2016, 05:03 PM   #21
Never seem to have enough room in the kitchen fridge from time to time. I turn my on & leave it on & use it for those extra things like melons, etc. to help out. Love having it available.

2001 Chevy Silverado
2011 Rockwood Roo 233S
rbq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #22
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I know of no cautions about the length of time a fridge can run as long as it is kept in a fairly level position if you are stationary.
Plus, it helps to keep a few items in there rather than have it running empty.

ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #23
We never turned ours off when we full time d for,3 Yrs
daywalker567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #24

Mine run close to three years straight except for occasional defrost, was shut off for three months while I recovered from surgery been running now since mid December.
traindrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:26 PM   #25
This was a great question! We are brand new to camping. Leaving it on, and leaving it stocked would be so much easier than emptying it each time.

Stalking this site and reading lots of posts has been very informative!
Becoming a camping addict
2016 Ram 2500 Eco Diesel
2016 Palomino 8801 TC
MidwesternWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #26
Originally Posted by dmchapman View Post
This is apples and oranges but I pulled a Norcold out of a very old abandoned camper in 2000 and it ran on 120 VAC in my garage until about 6 months ago when it failed catastrophically. If Dometic says no extended running, perhaps they are letting us know that their units are not built as tough?
What fails to release the coolant? Is it usually a failed weld or does a tube just burst?
norcold is no better and have as many if not more issues then dometic.
When they fail completly {the cooling unit looses it's ammonia } it most often occurs in the boiler , the metal corrodes faster with the heating & cooling .
You hear more about the dometic's because there are more out there then norcolds
I had a truck mounted camper since 94 , just sold it last yr and the dometic never missed a beat , in all those years I only replace the thermocouple . still running today , of course nothing ever broke on that camper an old northstar . they built them different then .
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 12:12 AM   #27
We leave ours on almost all the time. When not in use, our motorhome is stored in our barn and plugged into shore power. We keep it stocked with stuff that doesn't expire quickly (condiments, cheese, etc), and the freezer always has a few easy things, like hot dogs, bacon, Popsicles, and ice. We do turn it off once we are winterized, but I turn it back on over the holidays when I need the extra fridge space.

wendylys is offline   Reply With Quote