Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2010, 02:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Popeye PS:

There are cell phone signs at most of the stations I have used. You might need to look for them. They have that circle with a bar through them.
Illinois used to have them at every pump. I have looked and not only are the cell phones with red slashed circle stickers gone, any mention of a cell phone has been removed. I could take some pictures of our pumps if you want to see for yourself.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:33 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

I certainly believe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
Illinois used to have them at every pump. I have looked and not only are the cell phones with red slashed circle stickers gone, any mention of a cell phone has been removed. I could take some pictures of our pumps if you want to see for yourself.

No need for photos at all.

I will do some reasearch and see if that issue is real or if it has been debunked. Will let you know.

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:44 PM   #23

I would bet the biggest problem about refueling while talking on a cell phone is you could be distracted and spill gasoline. The way some people drive and talk on their phones, that would be a real possibility.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #24
Salem 26TBSS

Don't you guys watch Mythbusters? The cellphone/exploding gas pump thing is a myth dreamed up by ambulance-chasing lawyers. This "Better-to-be-safe-than-sorry" thing is crossing into the line of "Excessive Safety".

As to the fridge on propane while travelling, I haven't done it, but my trips have been less than an hour one-way. On longer trips I think I might do it.

PS If there was enough gas vapor at a service station to be set off by an open propane pilot flame, wouldn't you blow up as soon as you started your engine to pull away? Think about it.....FWIW.

Mike Doerner
mdoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
Don't you guys watch Mythbusters? The cellphone/exploding gas pump thing is a myth dreamed up by ambulance-chasing lawyers. This "Better-to-be-safe-than-sorry" thing is crossing into the line of "Excessive Safety".

As to the fridge on propane while travelling, I haven't done it, but my trips have been less than an hour one-way. On longer trips I think I might do it.

PS If there was enough gas vapor at a service station to be set off by an open propane pilot flame, wouldn't you blow up as soon as you started your engine to pull away? Think about it.....FWIW.

Mike Doerner
I have to agree there is way too much emphasis on "being safe" to the point of crazyness. However, I take a "little" exception to the gas vapor issue. There is no open flame when you start your engine. The exhaust gas is not hot enough to ignite gas fumes alone. A piezoelectric spark or open flame would certainly do it if you had a combustible atmosphere.

Not sure about mythbusters and cell phones. I will check on that.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:23 PM   #26

I saw that episode but they don't make federal or even state policy. They also said cell phones won't interfere with airplane controls but you still have to power them off.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, in my opinion it's time to let this one die. If fueling with propane on IS a problem, we would hear about it on the news. If talking on a cell phone while fueling were a problem, we would here about that too. If putting gas in a plastic container in the back of a truck was a problem, that too would be news. Things happen, sometimes the experts make up a semi-believable explanation be cause they can't find the real one.

We're all campers here, and I'm sure most of us enjoy a campfire, but did you know that playing in the fire will cause you to wet the bed? Told to me many times by my mother, and grandmother, true experts in their field, and who could argue with that.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I'm sure most of us enjoy a campfire, but did you know that playing in the fire will cause you to wet the bed? Told to me many times by my mother, and grandmother, true experts in their field, and who could argue with that.
Maybe that's why my wife is always getting up in the middle of the night when we camp out.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

Old 06-23-2010, 04:26 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Amen

I love this emote....
Old 06-23-2010, 04:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I love this emote....

Now hold on there Lou, You have 9 posts on this thread, more than anyone else. Is you the dude with the stick, or is you the horse?
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #31
Site Team - Lou

Lol

I think I am both!

I am sure ladywendolyn never realized the "Firestorm" she was stiring up.

Oh My GOD

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ling-6779.html
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #32

Something I learn this morning when one of my co-workers came in, he showed me a pic of one of his best friends on his cell phone, the pic showed a face of a young man with second degree burns which covered his entire face from a propane gas grill explosion that happen two days ago.
This is what had happen:
The young man lit the grill as he always did, once he had a flame he closed the lid, he came back about 5 mins later and open the lid to the grill and found that the flame went out mean while the young man and his wife got into it about something or another so at this point he was not thinking....now remember he walked away from the grill for about 5 mins there was no flame the gas was on and the lid was closed....so now after he open the lid fired up the grill again the next thing he knew he saw the flames from the grill surround him and then the explosion happen and that blew him back about 7 feet and on fire and his wife and two young kids were not far from him but untouched. His life has change from that day forward, so please everyone be careful and pay attention and know something about what you are handling....
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

Unhappy Fire Story

When we still had Howard AFB in Panama our Intel Sergeant was tasked to burn some secret Comm codes. Every month the code books had to be destroyed. At home we used a big crusher grinder to turn them into paper powder.

Burning secrets is a two person operation. One to sign the destruction and one to witness.

We had a large BBQ area behind our operations building with a cement block BBQ that they were going to use to destroy the secrets. They piled the books up and doused them with gasoline.

Now at Howard it is typically "Hot and Humid" all year long. This day it was particularly hot and 98% humidity.

The Sergeant told his helper to "Stand way back" and tried to strike a match and throw it onto the books.

The several matches were very damp and would not light. Finally, no more than 5 minutes from dousing the books with gas, one finally sparked. Neither of them could say if the match even lit.

The spark was enough to detonate the vapors from the pile of books.

The Airman got his hair singed but the Sergeant wound up in the hospital for 3 months and is still scarred for life.

True Story