Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

Popeye PS:

There are cell phone signs at most of the stations I have used. You might need to look for them. They have that circle with a bar through them.
Illinois used to have them at every pump. I have looked and not only are the cell phones with red slashed circle stickers gone, any mention of a cell phone has been removed. I could take some pictures of our pumps if you want to see for yourself.

'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was going to blame you.
It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
popeye59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

I certainly believe you

Quote:
Originally Posted by popeye59 View Post
Illinois used to have them at every pump. I have looked and not only are the cell phones with red slashed circle stickers gone, any mention of a cell phone has been removed. I could take some pictures of our pumps if you want to see for yourself.

No need for photos at all.

I will do some reasearch and see if that issue is real or if it has been debunked. Will let you know.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #23

I would bet the biggest problem about refueling while talking on a cell phone is you could be distracted and spill gasoline. The way some people drive and talk on their phones, that would be a real possibility.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
The things that come to those that wait will be the scraggly crappy junk left by those that got there first.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
Salem 26TBSS

Don't you guys watch Mythbusters? The cellphone/exploding gas pump thing is a myth dreamed up by ambulance-chasing lawyers. This "Better-to-be-safe-than-sorry" thing is crossing into the line of "Excessive Safety".

As to the fridge on propane while travelling, I haven't done it, but my trips have been less than an hour one-way. On longer trips I think I might do it.

PS If there was enough gas vapor at a service station to be set off by an open propane pilot flame, wouldn't you blow up as soon as you started your engine to pull away? Think about it.....FWIW.

Mike Doerner
Old 06-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdoerner View Post
Don't you guys watch Mythbusters? The cellphone/exploding gas pump thing is a myth dreamed up by ambulance-chasing lawyers. This "Better-to-be-safe-than-sorry" thing is crossing into the line of "Excessive Safety".

As to the fridge on propane while travelling, I haven't done it, but my trips have been less than an hour one-way. On longer trips I think I might do it.

PS If there was enough gas vapor at a service station to be set off by an open propane pilot flame, wouldn't you blow up as soon as you started your engine to pull away? Think about it.....FWIW.

Mike Doerner
I have to agree there is way too much emphasis on "being safe" to the point of crazyness. However, I take a "little" exception to the gas vapor issue. There is no open flame when you start your engine. The exhaust gas is not hot enough to ignite gas fumes alone. A piezoelectric spark or open flame would certainly do it if you had a combustible atmosphere.

Not sure about mythbusters and cell phones. I will check on that.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #26

I saw that episode but they don't make federal or even state policy. They also said cell phones won't interfere with airplane controls but you still have to power them off.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

Old 06-23-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, in my opinion it's time to let this one die. If fueling with propane on IS a problem, we would hear about it on the news. If talking on a cell phone while fueling were a problem, we would here about that too. If putting gas in a plastic container in the back of a truck was a problem, that too would be news. Things happen, sometimes the experts make up a semi-believable explanation be cause they can't find the real one.

We're all campers here, and I'm sure most of us enjoy a campfire, but did you know that playing in the fire will cause you to wet the bed? Told to me many times by my mother, and grandmother, true experts in their field, and who could argue with that.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I'm sure most of us enjoy a campfire, but did you know that playing in the fire will cause you to wet the bed? Told to me many times by my mother, and grandmother, true experts in their field, and who could argue with that.
Maybe that's why my wife is always getting up in the middle of the night when we camp out.
'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

Amen

I love this emote....

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 06-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

I love this emote....

Now hold on there Lou, You have 9 posts on this thread, more than anyone else. Is you the dude with the stick, or is you the horse?

'09 Rockwood Roo 233s
'03 1500 Silverado LS