Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2016, 06:53 AM   #1

Running propane heat hooked to house outlet

We want to go camping once a month in Georgia. Our local RV place charges us $100 each time they winterize or dewinterize our Sunseeker Class C.
We were able to run our AC from our house plug this summer while moving. Can we plug into our house to run electricity while operating our propane furnace. Just needed when below freezing for long periods of time. Thanks!!
rlchall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
World Wide Wanderer

My motor home is plugged in with the furnace thermostat set at 50° and the electric water heater on. FWIW I do have a 30 amp RV circuit at my house. We have gotten a couple of nights down into the upper 20's.

Yes you can plug it up and leave the furnace on. The furnace blower is actually 12 volts so it can run off the battery for a while.

I would learn how to winterize using the air compressor method. I used to be able to do my little travel trailer in about 20 minutes, then it was easy to de-winterize for a quick trip to the lake if it warmed up over a weekend.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:03 AM   #3
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

If you're plugged in I'd have an electric heater for cold nights. Then you don't need to worry about running out og propane.
18CrewDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:05 AM   #4
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
If you're plugged in I'd have an electric heater for cold nights. Then you don't need to worry about running out og propane.
Only problem with that is if the pipes depend on the warm air circulating to keep them warm on a very cold night you may get frozen pipes... been there and had to replace several cracked fittings.

Aaron

Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #5

Air Winterizing.

Get a adapter for the FW inlet and a inexpensive little air pump from Walmart, Harbor Freight, Etc and just blow out your water lines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Bra...-Plug/23529548
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #6

I too, have a Sunseeker, and would caution that the propane tank on them is rather small and inconvenient to have refilled when you're not on the road. I have considered the option of having an extension hose to connect to a 30 pound or larger tank sitting on the ground, but haven't done anything else about that at the moment. What we do have is an electric portable heater, which will do the job, without a problem. And we too, have a 30 amp setup at home. Leaving the coach plugged in sounds like a great idea, and your Sunseeker probably also has tank heaters , which are 12 volts, but if you're plugged in, the 12 volts will be coming from the converter/charger anyway.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #7

Walmart Pump

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-12V-...ingMethod=p13n
RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #8

If you take the time to learn how to winterize it yourself you will kick yourself for giving them $100 for each time they did it. There are many you-tube videos on the subject. Good luck.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:56 PM   #9

There is a very informative YouTube video from RV Geeks on using a separate propane tank for the winter.
lexstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:31 AM   #10

Thank you very much! Will definitely watch the videos. The RV guy always makes a point to say that it's hard to get to the water tank under the queen size bed. However, we've never put water in it, so I'm wondering if it can be bypassed.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
World Wide Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchall View Post
Thank you very much! Will definitely watch the videos. The RV guy always makes a point to say that it's hard to get to the water tank under the queen size bed. However, we've never put water in it, so I'm wondering if it can be bypassed.
If it has never had water in it, shouldn't be a problem. It should have a low point drain somewhere that I would open just to make sure.

Aaron

Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 PM   #12

I live in Minnesota so it gets cold in the fall. Our tt is plugged into my garage outlet 24/7 during the summer and fall. It's only a 15 amp outlet but I run my tt furnace often in the evenings when I'm in there working (in the fall it can get down into the low 40's by evening). I'm able to watch tv, use small electronics (roku, hard drive, etc.) and run the furnace all at the same time with no problem. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #13

I would like to add a couple of caveats; Unless the unit is outdoors or in a well ventilated space, running the furnace isn't too safe, due to carbon monoxide buildup.
Second, the power converters I've seen on FR products are robust enough to power every 12 volt load, as well as charge the batteries. If the main 12 volt switch is off, the batteries will not charge, as the positive lead from the batteries goes directly through the switch.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:49 PM   #14

Running propane heat hooked to house outlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo Lab View Post
I too, have a Sunseeker, and would caution that the propane tank on them is rather small and inconvenient to have refilled when you're not on the road. I have considered the option of having an extension hose to connect to a 30 pound or larger tank sitting on the ground, but haven't done anything else about that at the moment. What we do have is an electric portable heater, which will do the job, without a problem. And we too, have a 30 amp setup at home. Leaving the coach plugged in sounds like a great idea, and your Sunseeker probably also has tank heaters , which are 12 volts, but if you're plugged in, the 12 volts will be coming from the converter/charger anyway.

Installed the extended stay adapter and 30 lb propane tank. Use the electric radiant heater until it gets really cold. It is fully winterized - no water usage.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 03:24 AM   #15

You mentioned that your water heater is on, do you have water running to it?
Old 12-13-2016, 07:22 AM   #16

You can winterize your camper in 30 minutes for just $7.50 worth of RV/Marine anti-freeze. I paid to have mine done the first 2 seasons and then started doing it myself. I put some videos up on YouTube about it.

Tags
propane