Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2017, 08:18 AM   #1

Running the heater

We have an RV pole barn that we had built to cover our Sunseeker. We keep it plugged into the 30 AMP all the time. We live in central Georgia. Until this month, we didn't do anything except drain everything to prevent freezing. Then the real cold came and DH added the RV antifreeze to the tanks and drains except the freshwater tank. He turned on the heater and opened all the doors/drawers to allow heat to enter. Since the heater runs on propane, we had the tank filled up a week ago. Last night when we checked the RV, the tank was empty. Now we don't have any freezing temps for a while, but curious what you do and how long the propane should last.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:29 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

What size is your propane tank?
If you had the heat cranked up, it's not uncommon for folks to use a 20# tank in a week (even a 30# tank may not last) with TT's and 5th wheels

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Site Team

As stated with heat on it doesn't take long to burn up a tank or two of propane. If you are not planning to use the RV during the winter it is much easier and less expensive to winterize it using RV antifreeze in lines and not have to worry. Yous should be able to winterize it for less than $12 and 40 mins work.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 AM   #4

If your plugged in to 30 amp, why not just run a small electric space heater?
Our Lexi is plugged in 24/7, and during winter I keep a small heater on all the time. Have it adjusted to around 40-45 degrees.
Past week temps were 20-25 during day and 0 to 7 degrees at night. Even during that cold, heater kept temps to around 36-38 degrees inside. I have one of those inexpensive remote temp thermometers and sensors so I can monitor temp.
Cabinet doors are open, and I've never has a line freeze.
Granted, electric bill may be a bit higher, but still costs less than burning thru a tank of propane in a week or 10 days.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #5
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
We have an RV pole barn that we had built to cover our Sunseeker. We keep it plugged into the 30 AMP all the time. We live in central Georgia. Until this month, we didn't do anything except drain everything to prevent freezing. Then the real cold came and DH added the RV antifreeze to the tanks and drains except the freshwater tank. He turned on the heater and opened all the doors/drawers to allow heat to enter. Since the heater runs on propane, we had the tank filled up a week ago. Last night when we checked the RV, the tank was empty. Now we don't have any freezing temps for a while, but curious what you do and how long the propane should last.
Could you define what you feel is "real cold"? In late fall when we go out for a late season trip, if we get lows near 28 degrees and daytime highs that don't get much better than 37-38 degrees...we will go through a 30 lb propane tank in 3-4 days.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
Could you define what you feel is "real cold"? In late fall when we go out for a late season trip, if we get lows near 28 degrees and daytime highs that don't get much better than 37-38 degrees...we will go through a 30 lb propane tank in 3-4 days.
Living in Central Georgia, last week, lows in teens and highs in low 30s. Today's highs in 70s. Looks like we used the right amount of fuel.

Thanks.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
As stated with heat on it doesn't take long to burn up a tank or two of propane. If you are not planning to use the RV during the winter it is much easier and less expensive to winterize it using RV antifreeze in lines and not have to worry. Yous should be able to winterize it for less than $12 and 40 mins work.
I kind of wondered the same.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santabobswife View Post
We Drained everything to prevent Freezing,then we added Anti-Freeze to the drains and tanks! This "Is Winterizing" No Need for propane Heat! This works for RVs stored in Sub Zero temps for Months at a time! Youroo!!
Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We Drained everything to prevent Freezing,then we added Anti-Freeze to the drains and tanks! This "Is Winterizing" No Need for propane Heat! This works for RVs stored in Sub Zero temps for Months at a time! Youroo!!
Youroo, I think you missed that she said they ”drained everything and added antifreeze to the drains and tanks.”. Never said anything about adding antifreeze to lines. I wouldn't trust it not freezing without adding antifreeze to the lines or using propane heat and I know you wouldn't either.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

We also keep our RV inside. As this is the first year with the garage, I wasn't sure how the temperature would be inside so I winterized last week.

Using the temp data logger (highs and lows only) I determined that I am safe without winterizing in a "normal" winter. From Friday morning to Tuesday at about noon, the temperatures didn't make it into the 30s. That includes 2 days with single digit lows. Lowest recorded temp in the garage was 34*.

2016 Sandpiper 376BHOK
2500HD Chevrolet

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
head gamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #11

When in the teens I have went thru a 20# in 1.5 days to keep above 65 with it not being underpinned. Several guys went thru a 30 # if not both tanks over the last weekend when below freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
arpipeliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #12

I would not run an electric space heater unattended for any length of time. Could be disastrous.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Oil filled radiator style works well
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater